PDA

View Full Version : How much paperwork?

covgalxxx
23-02-2014, 08:09 PM
Read on here how much people say are behind in paperwork, so gets me thinking how much is there.. I just thought you fill out there learning journey every night with there obs, and next steps, eyfs summary I guess reviews every so often, I know there is your accounts which I guess you should do every month , activities , themes which you do weekly or daily or monthly ,daily Diary's everyday, I guess the sef I guess before your inspection, am I messing anything, I'm just waiting on ofsted to say when they will do my pre reg visit, but every time I thing I can keep up with my work if I do it every night, some people scary me like there is tons.

hectors house
23-02-2014, 08:34 PM
If you can spend an hour or so writing up that day's observations then that is great, but it's when you want to have a life like normal people and go to the gym, or take your kids to swimming club, or attend a training course one night a week or you are feeling under the weather and go to bed as soon as the mindees go home - then you fall behind.

FloraDora
23-02-2014, 09:27 PM
If you can spend an hour or so writing up that day's observations then that is great, but it's when you want to have a life like normal people and go to the gym, or take your kids to swimming club, or attend a training course one night a week or you are feeling under the weather and go to bed as soon as the mindees go home - then you fall behind.

If you can't manage paperwork when LO's are asleep then be really strict and put aside a couple of hours a week and you should be fine. The key is to keep on top of it, if you get behind it is very difficult, with family commitments to get back on top.
With the emphasis on learning and development, obs, assessments and next steps are going to be higher on the future agenda and these things are best being ongoing and informing planning...so important to keep abreast of it.

Take away all this, play and enjoy the children, your days will be delightful, worth the paperwork effort!

Simona
24-02-2014, 08:14 AM
Read on here how much people say are behind in paperwork, so gets me thinking how much is there.. I just thought you fill out there learning journey every night with there obs, and next steps, eyfs summary I guess reviews every so often, I know there is your accounts which I guess you should do every month , activities , themes which you do weekly or daily or monthly ,daily Diary's everyday, I guess the sef I guess before your inspection, am I messing anything, I'm just waiting on ofsted to say when they will do my pre reg visit, but every time I thing I can keep up with my work if I do it every night, some people scary me like there is tons.

There is no definite number of 'paperwork'...it really is down to you how you manage and avoid producing masses of it, avoid duplication and avoid having paperwork 'just in case'!

The EYFS 2012 is not very clear on what we have to have...it is down to your interpretation unlike the previous EYFS 2008 which left no doubt what was required.

You mention filling LJs every night ....I wonder if that is necessary?
Of course every cm is different....some do paperwork when children sleep ...others at night ...others on another specific day but there should be no need to have to work long hours after the children have gone

Obs can be jotted down quickly or retained in your head...there is no need to write down hundreds of them just the pertinent ones relating to the next steps to track progress
Next steps should be planned in advance and not every day so children have time to reach the outcomes and embed them with time by revisiting their achievements
Daily diaries are not a requirement and you can choose to keep them for the absolute important and not repetitive

Accounts can be kept in order just in half hour every week
SEF can be reviewed only when necessary
Policies only need updating if something has changed otherwise they can be left as they stand and dated to confirm that.

I think we have discussed this before but cms do far too much paperwork and often not required at all but...it is everyone's choice

My thinking is keep to the minimum and leave out the superfluous...and keep in mind that inspections are based on our teaching and children's outcomes not paperwork anymore...the focus should be on getting that spot on and not on documents the inspector will have little time to look at.

gef918
24-02-2014, 09:29 AM
When I started minding, I did so much paperwork, particularly with the learning journeys. I have learnt to cut down to a level that parents and I are happy with (and my husband). It's only when I fall behind that there is an issue. I now have one morning a week that I set aside for paperwork.

covgalxxx
24-02-2014, 12:58 PM
Thanks great info here, I know I'm one of them that likes to keep on top of things and yes less paperwork, my partner works nights so I know if I need to do work should be then so his days off he got me all to himself, I just read ppl post saying there behind, and I don't want that, I got a lot of work here to show ofsted when they finally come round,and I know they prob won't look at half of it but least I know I done it ready and it keeps my brain in childminder mode ,to get to be one,

unalindura77
24-02-2014, 01:30 PM
So if LJ's take a whole morning, or a whole evening every evening, just how much are going in there!

I only do short obs and then long obs every so often and now I'm worried this may not be enough?