PDA

View Full Version : Time wasters

gef918
23-02-2014, 10:33 AM
Business is really quiet at the moment, so I am desperately advertising. Recently I've had a few enquiries that have gone well:

1. Parent arranged to come around and sign contracts. Texted day before to say sister was going to look after child instead

2. Parent had narrowed down her search to myself and one other minder, arranged for husband to visit before making final decision. Called me a couple of days before to say she wasn't returning to work after all.

3. Parent called me to say she definitely wanted me, but had a few questions about my fees. I answered them and she said she would call back. She hasn't done so.

On the bright side, I've had two parents sign contracts - one is a temporary one for just 2 weeks. The other is adhoc work for when their current childminder is on holiday.

Feeling a little demoralised. I know that I am likely to be chosen over other childminders in my area, but really want to get some parents who are serious about needing a minder. Any ideas?

Kiddleywinks
23-02-2014, 10:42 AM
Update your details with the FIS (Families Information Service), our local one puts you at the top of the list when you update :thumbsup:

Childcare.co.uk - have a look and see what parents are looking for in your area

Patience - sad, but true.... The right family WILL come along, probably when you least expect it too :laughing:

After this half term, I've been debating whether or not to drop school holidays - I'm shattered!, and don't have any time off till Easter. Was looking at the finances of just doing term time with the over 5's (can cope with the littlies all year round) and got a phone call out of the blue: term time only for 2 children that slots in nicely with my available spaces! Think it's fate's way of saying go for it :laughing:

JoRo163
23-02-2014, 04:55 PM
I once felt like this. I wondered if I'd done the right thing and if I'd ever get regular work.

I'm now pretty much full and am regularly turning people away. I think the turning point for me was when I got to the point if feeling like you do now, I didn't try as hard to impress when families visited and we just chatted over a cuppa. I always send them on their way with my info and I stopped stressing about if they get back in touch.

The right families will find you and you'll soon be run off your feet!

gef918
23-02-2014, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the advice.

I know that I come across well when parents visit, most would choose me over other minders in the area, however, I'm just not getting the parents who need full time care.

I'm trying to be patient, but it's hard when I really love my job and am desperate to get more children to play with.

Kiddleywinks
23-02-2014, 09:35 PM
I'm just not getting the parents who need full time care.

I've been doing this for 2 years and not yet had an enquiry for full time. All my mindees are part timers, but I'm working full time hours.

shortstuff
23-02-2014, 10:09 PM
I agree with kiddleywinks. I have lots of part timers. Its just a question of knowing what hours you have available when the enquiries come in so you know if it will fit your jigsaw puzzle of mindees.

Jenna
24-02-2014, 07:50 AM
I've been minding 2 years and never had a full time enquiry. I work full time with 7different children I've got 4 who do 2 days a week then 2 who do 1 day a week and my afterschool child who did do 3 nights a week. Ive also go ds who is 3.5 can't start fully time school until sept. it works well and Thursday and Friday I finish at 4 which is lovely.

gef918
24-02-2014, 09:21 AM
I guess I've been very lucky then. when I started minding, I just had 2 families, 4 days a week for the first two years. Would love that again!

tulip0803
24-02-2014, 09:41 AM
My only fulltime enquiry was way back when I started. I now have one that started as "one or two days a week" and is now 38 hours over 4 days and another that was 24 hours over 4 days and is now at least 30 over 5 days (plus school-aged sibling). So my part-timers have become full-time.:)

caz3007
24-02-2014, 10:06 AM
I have been minding since 2005 and have only ever had one full timer.