PDA

View Full Version : Observations - just new things?

unalindura77
21-02-2014, 09:25 AM
My DO came and gave me a little box with dividers in it to note down observations through the day. She said to only note down 'new things'. So I have started doing this but then need to transfer the info in to the learning journey, but is it only new things that we observe? As I have many photos but she said they're not saying anything, that the child could already walk/climb/draw etc so that they aren't of value and to just write down observations showing new things. I'm confused now....

I was taking lots of photos but apparently this is not the way, but I know parents enjoy seeing what their little one is doing, the groups they go to so how could I integrate that if there's nothing new just lovely photos to see?

Also- I started jotting down these observations to put in the little black box, do you include every written observation on their learning journey? Or just include the 'new' and 'important' ones.

I must say the DO has confused me a bit, but mind that isn't a difficult thing to do :p

bunyip
21-02-2014, 09:51 AM
I would note and date a few times when a child repeats doing something.

My inspector liked the fact that my learning journals show children repeating things and that I look for some consistency, rather than ticking off an 'achievement' just cos they did it the once. She also liked the fact that a lot of my "next steps" simply say "more practice with this". It was something I was worried about, but she said it was nice to see I wasn't just trying to "tick it off and move on" all the time. :thumbsup:

unalindura77
21-02-2014, 09:57 AM
Thanks Bunyip, I'll do that...:idea:

In my panic I went and printed off about 300 photos which I can only use some of for LJ's, I'll prob just stick them in a nice book and present them to parent as a present...

gef918
21-02-2014, 10:19 AM
I do two types of obs - short and long. The short ones are generally new, but I also include new experiences, e.g. playing with gloop or visiting a new playgroup. My long observation includes everything the child is doing during an activity, so some of this will be new, some won't.

I agree with your DO that photos aren't enough - you need to be noting exactly what the child is doing and HOW they are doing it.

Good luck. It's taken me a long time to find a way of writing observations that includes a lot of information without too much effort. I've changed the way I do things a couple of times a year, since I started minding.

unalindura77
21-02-2014, 10:41 AM
Thanks Gef,

I think I'll do photo learning journey book with long observations of trips out/activities and then a learning journey with short obs of new things that don't need many photos?

For some of my parents the online journeys are a good idea so I'll be starting them too.

unalindura77
21-02-2014, 10:44 AM
Do we share each and every written observation with the parent, what I mean is, does each and every written observation we do go in to a learning file?

bunyip
21-02-2014, 11:47 AM
Do we share each and every written observation with the parent, what I mean is, does each and every written observation we do go in to a learning file?

If you like. I don't see any good reason not to share with parents, if they're sufficiently interested.

Photo books of lo's are a good idea if you have lots of pics. I find that 'weekend dads' often appreciate this sort of scrapbook/album. It's also handy to have a few spare photos ready for personalising craft projects, diaries, workbooks, etc. :thumbsup:

Emra81
21-02-2014, 01:11 PM
There are so many ways of going about it, it's a bit of a minefield isn't it!

At the moment, I'm similar to gef918...I do short obs which are basically wow moments and then longer obs which tend to be a mixture as they're be based around an activity or outing and, in my head, are a snapshot of where the child is across a number of areas. I've got little boxes printed out and chopped up ready to go into LJs, some are just a box with a space for the date and the areas of learning at the top for me to circle and then space for me to write the obs underneath then some are 2 boxes; space for obs plus gap for a picture. I usually write down the obs at the time (or scribble it on a post it if not!) then sit down once a fortnight and print n stick pics on any that need them (I just do them wallet sized on card -parents have actually commented on what good quality the pics are! ) then stick each box in the LJ in date order. I just use a4 sheets of sugar paper in a ring binder for the LJ. I also stick random pics in every now and then -anything that is cute or funny or I know parents will like but isn't necessarily related to a specific obs. Then I type up longer observations and file them in amongst the sugar paper pages date wise and that's about it. Not sure you wanted to know in that much detail but it's really working for me at the mo....desperately hoping Mrs O thinks it is too!

blue bear
21-02-2014, 01:18 PM
I personally think the comment of the photos being of no use a bit negative and not very helpful, the learning journal shows the child's journey of learning throughout their time with you not just new things but things repeated over because that's how children learn and build on their skills to move onto the next step.

I don't think every photo needs linking to eyfs if that's what your do meant? So yes all new or wow moments Definetly need linking with next steps identified but cannot see anything wrong with adding photographs of nice moments to share with the family and the child when it's older. There is alsorts of things in mine from bus tickets to receipts of things we have bought together,photocopies of pictures they made for home, photos from home, postcard they send from their holiday and of course observations, it's all part of the child's journey of learning as far as I'm concerned.

Try and find a method that works well for you, I have an observation sheet on the fridge that I fill in with new achievements that I then cut put and add to lj so I don't end up writing the same thing twice. What suits one person won't work for another that's the beauty of childminders we are all individuals not one big repetitive chain.

unalindura77
21-02-2014, 01:47 PM
There are so many ways of going about it, it's a bit of a minefield isn't it!

At the moment, I'm similar to gef918...I do short obs which are basically wow moments and then longer obs which tend to be a mixture as they're be based around an activity or outing and, in my head, are a snapshot of where the child is across a number of areas. I've got little boxes printed out and chopped up ready to go into LJs, some are just a box with a space for the date and the areas of learning at the top for me to circle and then space for me to write the obs underneath then some are 2 boxes; space for obs plus gap for a picture. I usually write down the obs at the time (or scribble it on a post it if not!) then sit down once a fortnight and print n stick pics on any that need them (I just do them wallet sized on card -parents have actually commented on what good quality the pics are! ) then stick each box in the LJ in date order. I just use a4 sheets of sugar paper in a ring binder for the LJ. I also stick random pics in every now and then -anything that is cute or funny or I know parents will like but isn't necessarily related to a specific obs. Then I type up longer observations and file them in amongst the sugar paper pages date wise and that's about it. Not sure you wanted to know in that much detail but it's really working for me at the mo....desperately hoping Mrs O thinks it is too!

Believe me that REALLY helps, at the moment I have a beautiful photo book, observation filing box given to me by DO, and LJ's I purchased on the net, I'm all over the place!

unalindura77
21-02-2014, 01:50 PM
I personally think the comment of the photos being of no use a bit negative and not very helpful, the learning journal shows the child's journey of learning throughout their time with you not just new things but things repeated over because that's how children learn and build on their skills to move onto the next step.

I don't think every photo needs linking to eyfs if that's what your do meant? So yes all new or wow moments Definetly need linking with next steps identified but cannot see anything wrong with adding photographs of nice moments to share with the family and the child when it's older. There is alsorts of things in mine from bus tickets to receipts of things we have bought together,photocopies of pictures they made for home, photos from home, postcard they send from their holiday and of course observations, it's all part of the child's journey of learning as far as I'm concerned.

Try and find a method that works well for you, I have an observation sheet on the fridge that I fill in with new achievements that I then cut put and add to lj so I don't end up writing the same thing twice. What suits one person won't work for another that's the beauty of childminders we are all individuals not one big repetitive chain.

Yes that's exactly what I mean, DO says it has to be linked with EYFS otherwise it isn't 'showing anything'. So I was a bit unsure after that about all the photos I've been taking.

You're right about finding a method, with all of your personal experiences and suggestions I believe this is fitting together in my head properly now and I will come up with a system soon.....I hope Ofsted bare in mind that I'm only nearly on 6th month so not very experienced unfortunately

Simona
21-02-2014, 02:08 PM
My DO came and gave me a little box with dividers in it to note down observations through the day. She said to only note down 'new things'. So I have started doing this but then need to transfer the info in to the learning journey, but is it only new things that we observe? As I have many photos but she said they're not saying anything, that the child could already walk/climb/draw etc so that they aren't of value and to just write down observations showing new things. I'm confused now....

I was taking lots of photos but apparently this is not the way, but I know parents enjoy seeing what their little one is doing, the groups they go to so how could I integrate that if there's nothing new just lovely photos to see?

Also- I started jotting down these observations to put in the little black box, do you include every written observation on their learning journey? Or just include the 'new' and 'important' ones.

I must say the DO has confused me a bit, but mind that isn't a difficult thing to do :p

My goodness....I see that some LAs have not got out of the habit of imposing their 'prescriptive' way of doing things to CMs
I am not surprised you are confused ...so am I reading your comment
Never heard of only observing 'new things'...maybe be she means 'emerging' skills?

When Ofsted come and inspect you it is you on the spot telling her why the system you use works for you and why your children are hitting the outcomes...your DO will be nowhere near explaining that it is her method of observations she has imposed on you

I disagree that photos do not show anything...my view of course ....very often they show the CoEL very well...we can write all we like about children's concentration...or perseverance ...but a photos captures it rather better.

Can you tell us what you are supposed to do with the black box?

unalindura77
21-02-2014, 02:21 PM
My goodness....I see that some LAs have not got out of the habit of imposing their 'prescriptive' way of doing things to CMs
I am not surprised you are confused ...so am I reading your comment
Never heard of only observing 'new things'...maybe be she means 'emerging' skills?

When Ofsted come and inspect you it is you on the spot telling her why the system you use works for you and why your children are hitting the outcomes...your DO will be nowhere near explaining that it is her method of observations she has imposed on you

I disagree that photos do not show anything...my view of course ....very often they show the CoEL very well...we can write all we like about children's concentration...or perseverance ...but a photos captures it rather better.

Can you tell us what you are supposed to do with the black box?

Yes I agree with you and others about how concentration, repetition and other seemingly non 'new' things are relevant!

I am supposed to have my little black box there ready to write anything down whenever it happens, a section for each child with a piece of card with their dob and date of each observation box in each 7 area's of learning (still with me?) I can take a bit of paper out with me to wherever we're going and put the paper in the box later (still with me?) but how would that help me really, as how am I supposed to share what's in my secret black box? Of course I'd have to put it in LJ anyway so seems a round about way of doing things...

Phew it's exhausting to explain something you don't fully understand ahahaha

Simona
21-02-2014, 02:37 PM
Yes I agree with you and others about how concentration, repetition and other seemingly non 'new' things are relevant!

I am supposed to have my little black box there ready to write anything down whenever it happens, a section for each child with a piece of card with their dob and date of each observation box in each 7 area's of learning (still with me?) I can take a bit of paper out with me to wherever we're going and put the paper in the box later (still with me?) but how would that help me really, as how am I supposed to share what's in my secret black box? Of course I'd have to put it in LJ anyway so seems a round about way of doing things...

Phew it's exhausting to explain something you don't fully understand ahahaha

Yes I am with you...somehow :(
I had visions of you taking this black box with you everywhere :panic:.....why can you not write the obs directly into your formative assessment ...not all of them but the relevant ones that show you tracking progress?

One thing I treasure from my last inspection is the inspector...she was really great... telling me she hoped many observations would be in my head...she tapped it when saying so...and that the relevant ones would be written down not millions of them!

What really bugs me is why DOs wait until a cm has a system in place before arriving and telling her that their newly devised is better?
Why not visit a cm at the start of her registration and help her in whatever system she has chosen ?

My LA has devised a new system called Moving On...for the life of me I cannot understand it...why do I have to duplicate what I already do and add another piece of paperwork?
Thank goodness it is not compulsory to do so I soldier on with mine!

unalindura77
21-02-2014, 02:50 PM
Yes I am with you...somehow :(
I had visions of you taking this black box with you everywhere :panic:.....why can you not write the obs directly into your formative assessment ...not all of them but the relevant ones that show you tracking progress?

]One thing I treasure from my last inspection is the inspector...she was really great... telling me she hoped many observations would be in my head...she tapped it when saying so...and that the relevant ones would be written down not millions of them!
[/B]
What really bugs me is why DOs wait until a cm has a system in place before arriving and telling her that their newly devised is better?
Why not visit a cm at the start of her registration and help her in whatever system she has chosen ?

My LA has devised a new system called Moving On...for the life of me I cannot understand it...why do I have to duplicate what I already do and add another piece of paperwork?
Thank goodness it is not compulsory to do so I soldier on with mine!

Priceless....did she tap your head or her own?

Thank you, as I was beginning to wonder how big my LJ needs to be with so many obs!!

unalindura77
21-02-2014, 02:51 PM
Or alternatively, how small it would be if I only ever inserted new things! It would be about half a page for the whole 6 months :laughing: