PDA

View Full Version : Parent Information file?

unalindura77
21-02-2014, 09:21 AM
Hello, I wonder if you kind ladies could help, I have my first inspection any day now and am checking all my paperwork is up to date...

On another thread Sarah707 recommended The Independent Childminders page to get up to speed on paperwork and it mentions a Parent Information file, which should contain a personalised individual routine for each child, information about how information can be shared at home, a sample menu, newsletters

I'm confused! Do we need to have a folder for each child, for the parent to take away? And then bring back?

At the moment I have a parent communication folder in which I put all the info I have shared with parents and have put each child in to a section, I've put general emails, new permission forms and newsletters in one area, then a section for each child with the questionnaires and emails and communication from each parent, would this not be ok?

But this folder does not include the above. In my portfolio, I have a menu and activity but these are not individualised.

If anyone can explain this to me I would be most grateful.

gef918
21-02-2014, 10:30 AM
I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what Sarah means by this. Hopefully she'll be on later to tell you.

I have a welcome pack which contains these things, but the daily routine isn't individualised. I like your idea of a communication folder though - I'm going to start doing that too.

moggy
21-02-2014, 01:04 PM
I would not worry about trying to adopt another person's way of working. We all have our own ways and they suit each of us for different reasons.
Are you happy with your way? Have you evaluated it and found areas to improve? If your way is working then keep it going, if you are due an inspection it is not an ideal time to chuck out what you know and try something you don't, unless you are really thinking your system is not working.

I have a portfolio: I see my 'portfolio' (a A4 ring binder) as my sales brochure, I talk through it and show to prospective parents and parents can ask to see it any time, I'd show it to an inspector. But there is nothing personalised/individual in there as it is general across all my mindees and future mindees.

The portfolio stays with me here, it does not leave my setting!

I do not write individual routines for children. I try to follow parent/child's routines and we discuss this at settling in time. I have a TYPICAL routine in my portfolio to show parents- a typical day with times for when we go to school, have snack, go out, lunch, school pick-up etc. to give an idea of what we do in a day.

I have a sample menu in my portfolio for parents to see.

I have newsletters in my portfolio and info about how info is shared with parents.

Maybe Sarah707 can explain further, but it sounds like she calls a 'portfolio' a 'parent info file', but why/if she says there would be personalized/individual info in there I do not know!

unalindura77
21-02-2014, 01:43 PM
Brilliant advice and thank you, I think I am getting crazier and crazier by the day until inspection comes, trying to better ways to do things but this could definitely backfire...

I don't think Sarah707 wrote it, it's on the Independent Childminders page and she linked it for us who are expecting an inspection, just panicked as I thought maybe I should have that

I wish they would come next week, I'm fed up of everything and don't want to be exhausted the day she does decide to come