PDA

View Full Version : 7am

Topkad84
20-02-2014, 08:31 PM
Hi,
Hope everyone is enjoying half term.
Just had a mum text and ask if I would mind having her daughter from 7am next week as dad normally drops off but has been called away for work.
She normally gets dropped off at 7:30 but most of the time they drop her off 7:15.
I struggle to be up and ready for 7:30 as it is. I feel bad if I say I can't, she isn't the easiest of children to look after.
I don't know what to do?
Would you charge more? X

Daisy1956
20-02-2014, 08:35 PM
Is it just for next week, are you going to do breakfast. Take all this into account when you work out your fees. Yes charge extra you are giving up your precious morning time.

unalindura77
20-02-2014, 08:59 PM
Charge heavily for those hours to discourage!

How mean huh?:blush:

line6
20-02-2014, 09:05 PM
I struggle to get up for early starts when my mindees do the occasional 7.30 start and there is no way I'd be doing any earlier unless I was rewarded handsomely for it! I don't do it all the time - my usual start is 8am but with 3 children of my own 7.30 is really hard. For new clients I will be charging time and a half for anything before 8am in future. I'd say charge a premium just in case they decide to do it again.

Glitter
20-02-2014, 09:29 PM
You could charge a lot to put them off in the future. Or you could just say no.

The good thing about being self-employed is you don't have to start work earlier than you want to. If you think you will struggle to start so early just say you can not do it.

Daftbat
20-02-2014, 09:47 PM
I would do it and just charge either as normal or an unsocial hours fee. I regularly start at 7 and sometimes 6am. To be honest I would rather have an early start than work in to the evening, although tomorrow I will be doing both (lol)!!

Mcgons
20-02-2014, 09:54 PM
I would do it too if it was just one week. My day starts at 7.30am so I would be charging the fee for unsocial hours. Obviously would make sure parents knew the fees beforehand so they could decide what to do.

chriss
20-02-2014, 10:57 PM
Because you are at home, some parents seem to think it doesn't really matter as you are there anyway. So sneaking in a little early is fine, though they would struggle doing that with a nursery grrr

cupcakencookie
20-02-2014, 11:11 PM
I have a parent who often asks me for 7am starts - each time it's 'the last one' lol. I charge £5 per hour from 7-8 and my usual rate is £3.50 /hr. She has 2 children so I get £10 for that hour so it makes it worthwhile. Wouldn't be happy doing it for less tbh, it makes my day very long and I get really tired by the end of the week. Good luck with what you decide x

jackie 7
21-02-2014, 08:58 AM
If she comes at 7.15 I hope you charge for the extra 15 minutes do it and charge double the hourly rate for the half hour. If they get the 15 mins free use this as a charge review.

gef918
21-02-2014, 10:32 AM
I would look after the child, but I would charge for unsociable hours.

Simona
21-02-2014, 01:21 PM
Sometimes I think it would be better for these poor children to stay with us overnight instead of having to get up at an awful hour to accommodate parents' ever increasing working shifts/flexibility/demands or whatever we want to call it.

line6
21-02-2014, 01:39 PM
I have to say I agree Simona. I had an enquiry recently for a 9 month old who would occasionally need to be dropped at 6am due to mum and dad's shift patterns. They have an older child (about 6 I think) too so presumably she would need to get up early before a school day too. I know sometimes it can't be helped but I am eternally grateful that I've been able to be at home with my children. Must be hard for everyone.

clareelizabeth1
21-02-2014, 01:41 PM
I start 7.30 any earlier and parents would have to pay dearly and I would probably be in my pjs while opening the door as I physically am unable to get my self ready any earlier. My ds keeps trying to get me to start my day early and it ain't happened yet.

I would charge double

Angela234
21-02-2014, 01:53 PM
until recently I started at 6.30 now its 7.30 onwards its up to you if it was me I would do it , it is a genuine reason.
I charge £5.00 before 7.30 £3.75 normal times

Simona
21-02-2014, 01:56 PM
The flexibility offered by CMs is truly amazing...wonder how schools will respond to opening at 6am and who will be there to care for tired little ones?

The Juggler
21-02-2014, 03:11 PM
i would do it if it's just for the week- as Simona says one of our advantages is to be flexible. However, I'd use this as an excuse to deal with the early arrival issue.

I'd speak to mum and say you'd really prefer not to work from 0700 but as it's a one off you 'lll do it but the charge is £5 per half hour before 0730 so you will charge an additional £5 for the week she needs. Then say you've noticed she's been coming earlier each day anyway and you didnt' want to make things uncomfortable but this seems a good time to bring it up. Tell her you are struggling to get prepared before 0730 and after the early starts week you will have to start being really tough and not answering the door until 0730 UNLESS there is a pre-arranged and agreed early start.:thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
21-02-2014, 04:07 PM
I am with everyone else, look at your contract and see what you have put on it for "outside hours" and "unsociable hours". From what you have written parent is asking if you can do it, politely aswell.

Daftbat
21-02-2014, 06:21 PM
Sometimes I think it would be better for these poor children to stay with us overnight instead of having to get up at an awful hour to accommodate parents' ever increasing working shifts/flexibility/demands or whatever we want to call it.

I have done this before and its worked well.

caz3007
21-02-2014, 06:24 PM
I used to have siblings once a week. Mum worked from home but had to go to London to the office and meet with clients once a week. They used to come extra early and leave about 6. It was a long day, but only once a week. I don't think they would have coped with every day though.

shortstuff
21-02-2014, 07:28 PM
I started at 7am 4 days a week for 9 months. As the little one was adorable it was never a problem to me. Personally I think a lot of it depends on the relationships with the child and parents as to whether I would want to do those hours.

I still start at 7.30 3 days a week now and will probably continue to do so as this LO is younger than 1 still.

Snowwhite
21-02-2014, 11:10 PM
This all links in with a question i was going to ask...How much extra do you charge if you work outside working hours? Had an enquiry today from someone wanting childcare from 7.30am until 6.15pm.My normal working hours are 7.45 until 5.45 & 6pm at the latest. I dont want to turn this down as things have been a bit quiet for me lately,& mum seems really nice.I hate getting up for 7.45 as it is but i guess to do 7.30am has gotta be done if i want the money and i have a young family and a husband.Its just for 2 days a wk for a toddler. Was thinking to charge my daily fee plus £5 ontop which is my hourly fee,even though its just 30 mins extra mum needs.
Its gonna be a really long day 7.30 until 6.15,but grin & bare it i guess! Do you consider your neighbours and the noise level atall if a child starts really early with you? (i mean what if a child is screaming/crying when they arrive!)

shortstuff
21-02-2014, 11:59 PM
This all links in with a question i was going to ask...How much extra do you charge if you work outside working hours? Had an enquiry today from someone wanting childcare from 7.30am until 6.15pm.My normal working hours are 7.45 until 5.45 & 6pm at the latest. I dont want to turn this down as things have been a bit quiet for me lately,& mum seems really nice.I hate getting up for 7.45 as it is but i guess to do 7.30am has gotta be done if i want the money and i have a young family and a husband.Its just for 2 days a wk for a toddler. Was thinking to charge my daily fee plus £5 ontop which is my hourly fee,even though its just 30 mins extra mum needs.
Its gonna be a really long day 7.30 until 6.15,but grin & bare it i guess! Do you consider your neighbours and the noise level atall if a child starts really early with you? (i mean what if a child is screaming/crying when they arrive!)

I still only charged my term time hourly rate. Neither child was miserable on arrival, probably more luck than anything. Oh n I work till 6.30 most nights anyway

Simona
22-02-2014, 06:55 AM

For many years 'unsociable' hours were classified as those starting before 8am and finishing after 6pm...which has always been the standard hours of care in childminding...however......... when delivering funding it is possible to do between 7am and 7pm to accommodate atypical working patterns in parents.

All cms are different....do you have a contract that specifies or gives you an idea what 'unsociable' hours are? I think the pacey one mentions them somewhere.

hectors house
22-02-2014, 10:05 AM

My 3 cousins in Denmark always work early shifts, they cycle the children to the childminder at 5.30 in the morning in all weathers as most people only have one car. The children are used to getting out of bed in the dark.

Rachel6
22-02-2014, 11:34 AM
My husband has to leave our house at 6.15am most mornings & doesn't get home till gone 8pm, he also has to work 2 Saturdays a month all for his normal wage which is just under £2,000 a month. So I try & look at the bigger picture we don't always know what people earn or what their outgoings are. I don't think there is such a thing as normal hours anymore,so if I can be helpful I will :-)

Topkad84
04-03-2014, 09:04 AM
Wow, thank for all the replies,
Luckily I didn't have to do 7am as dad came back.
But this has made me thinking and redo my prices and policy. So everything has a positive.

However dad did drop her off as 7:05 this morning, no warning what so ever. I will make sure I charge extra.
I only have four weeks left and feel like there trying to take the mick abit.