PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when mindees are not interested in activities youve planned?

line6
20-02-2014, 05:51 PM
Im still new to childminding and I'm after some advice from all of you out there. I currently look after siblings aged 2 3/4 and 4 1/2. I also have my own children aged 9, 7 and 3 3/4 so this week it's been a. Bit of a range of ages to amuse. Try as I might to engage the children all they really want to do is free play or run around the house when we are at home. Today I even struggled with getting me outside when the rain stopped and I am so conscious about getting some fresh air every day. I try to find tasks that they will all enjoy and they do for a short while but literally have no attention span (mindees and my little one) after a few minutes which makes these long no-school-run days really exhausting trying to keep everyone entertained. Had planned to go out this morning but it got rained off and we can't go out in the afternoon as littlest mindee sleeps. Yet are all quite happy to do this and that and amuse themselves but I feel like I should do more structured things sometimes. What do you all do?

tess1981
20-02-2014, 06:06 PM
i find some days the children cant get enough activites to do and others they dont want to do anything
maybe due to less routine (ie school and school runs) during half term they could be taking advantage of being able to do stuff
at their own pace... on days like these i go with the flow.. i dont plan activities and if they ask for one i set it up if not then i dont stress
leaves for a much happier house hold

Mouse
20-02-2014, 06:08 PM
My mindees mainly free play, with the odd activity thrown in.

You really don't need to trying to fill all their time with structured activities - you'll end up disappointed, frustrated and exhausted.

I have toys and resources set out that the children help themselves to. They are the general toys - garage, dolls, cooker, treasure basket, cars, happyland, building blocks, books etc. They are always out. In addition I set out a more specific activities - magnifying glasses with natural objects, sorting games, magnets. Or I set up an office, doctors surgery, shop.

I then let the children get on with what they want to do.

I stop them from running around, I make them tidy up one activity before they move onto another (unless they want to take toys from one thing to another). Basically, I am in charge and I keep control.

I will move round to see what they are doing, perhaps make some suggestions, or add extra resources.

I'll set up one planned activity in the morning & one in the afternoon. The morning one might be painting, play dough, collage, messy play etc. The children are invited to join in if they want to, but don't have to. The afternoon activity is something aimed at older children as the little ones are asleep. It might be lego. play mobil (smaller bits that don't come out when the los are about), or something targetted such as writing, number and letter games.

Add into that some outdoor play, a music session, a story or 2 and some craft and that's our day pretty much filled :D

line6
20-02-2014, 06:12 PM
Half term in October was my first half term. I tried to do way too much so I cut it right back this time (didn't work. Christmas) but I was worried that I should be doing more. Like you I've been happy to get out bits that they ask for or make suggestions but today have mostly let them get on with it and it has been much easier but I was worried I should have planned more. I think the suggestion that they need the down me is spot on and I will no longer feel bad about letting them have the rest they deserve. Thanks

Glitter
20-02-2014, 06:17 PM
I always find school holidays end up with me just getting out toys and tidying up at the end of the day. In between I just drink a lot of tea, eat biscuits in secret in the kitchen, and referee the arguments. The children usually want to do their own thing.

I do try to get them outside every morning, but sometimes I just have to go and stand on the back door step for a few minutes as this is the most fresh air I will get.

If the children do not want to do what I have planned, I just write a note in my diary 'children did not want to do my planned activities because they were busy lying on the floor doing nothing', so I can show my planning is flexible and works around the child's interests.

Half term is nearly over so good luck.:)

blue bear
20-02-2014, 08:54 PM
I try to rotate toys regularly and get out certain activities/resources each morning to connect with next steps/planning.
But to be honest I provide a stimulating environment for the children they choose what they want to do and I follow their led, offering up ideas to extend their play or change the tone of play if necessary. But the children are very much in charge of their play and learning, they learn so much more when they are interested and have choice over the activites.
This week we have been out most days as I've had different children each day but often holidays are relaxing days, den building, baking, free choice of craft, digging big holes In the garden, whatever takes ther fancy.

line6
20-02-2014, 09:01 PM
Ahh thank you for your words of wisdom. It has dawned on me that I've always said school holidays should be holidays for the kids - ie no pressure to do anything much but haven't really thought to apply the same notion to the mindees who also need a break. Thank goodness it's Friday tomorrow and we can have a chill out day and they can do what they want. May even find a good film to watch and have some real downtime. They are only little and really needed the break so I'm going to let them all have one tomorrow :)

sing-low
20-02-2014, 09:43 PM
I remember blissful holidays as a child when I could do what I wanted, for as long as I wanted, free from the structure that was always imposed at school. I also believe that boredom is good for children as it encourages them to use their imaginations. My kids come up with the best games all by themselves and I see myself as being there to advise and help and provide resources, as needed, not to instigate the activity. That said, I'm happy to provide/start activities if needed, but if they're happy doing their own thing, that's great.

buzzy bee
20-02-2014, 10:00 PM
I also tend to mostly let them get on with what they want. If they don't want to do something I've planned I just save it for another time. I believe they should be allowed to play as much as they want because there'll be so many years ahead of having to do what they're told!

gef918
21-02-2014, 10:37 AM
I used to plan every minute of the half term to cope with the number of children and range of ages.

Now, I go with the flow a lot more. Day trips where possible, free access to art activities and resources. And, I ask the children what they would like to do the next day. I'm less stressed doing it this way and the children still have a good time.

line6
21-02-2014, 01:41 PM
We've been far more chilled this morning. I think there's probably more mess as each and every toy has been taken out and played with but were having regular tidy up times! Just doing some quick baking and biscuit decorating that 4 year old asked to do and may have time for a walk on the beach later (although I feel I'm persuading them to do that!) nice chilled Friday. :)