PDA

View Full Version : When is appropriate to end this contract ? Any input welcome .

tetti
20-02-2014, 01:47 PM
I have to let this 4 year old boy go ,and there are many factors involved as to why.
Originally it was said that I should have him 3 mornings a week,in reality it's sometimes only 1 which doesn't make it worth my while.
His behaviour leaves a lot to be desired .A few examples,he called me a cow,and I asked him where he had learnt such words to which he replied "That's what daddy calls mummy!",and he will call random people weirdos as he walks past them and speak to me in a way which is not acceptable.I have brought this up with his mum and I can tell she is genuinely ashamed of how he acts,but I don't want to use that as en excuse to end our agreement .
I want to keep it short and along the lines of "Due to a change in my circumstances I can no longer care for " in order to make things less personal.

But... I don't know when to give his mother the notice of termination of contract or how (!)
Basically,she comes here at 8 am and drops him off,and then I don't see here again as I take him to nursery.
She never has time to chat,and due to other commitments,she can't meet up outside the hours that I care for her son and she's not one for talking on the phone.
I don't want to tell her infront of her son as it may make him upset, so can I send her an email with the notice of termination of contract,and state that we can discuss any queries that she may have when we meet next ? (which is not until the end of next week !), or is that too unprofessional ?
I thought of perhaps sending her a text "I need to speak with you when we meet next week,I have sent you an email with further details as I prefer to not discuss the matter infront of (mindee) ",but am not sure whether that would be an acceptable way of doing things?

If I gave her the notice next week,it would give her 5 weeks to find alternative care for him.
I have also made a list of available local childminders to give to her to make things a little easier for her -she is very young and is raising her son by herself,although I know that her mother and her ex does look after him from time to time.

gef918
21-02-2014, 10:50 AM
It's difficult, if you can't arrange a time to talk to mum. I would probably give her a letter when she drops off the morning, stressing that you are happy to meet with her to discuss in person or on the phone.

The Juggler
21-02-2014, 03:17 PM
i had to do this once with parents I only briefly saw. I called them for a chat to explain my reasons then gave them a termination letter to confirm why.

I actually think you should tell mum your reasons though as it may spur her/dad into dealing with his behaviour more seriously or making dad realise how his behaviour impacts on his child.:panic: