PDA

View Full Version : Lining toys up.

jackie 7
20-02-2014, 08:39 AM
Got a lo 30 mts. He comes 1 day a week. He takes the toys out and lines them up. Every day every time. He now has his friend doing it. I have activities planned put the toys out and he just puts them in a line. He gets cross if anyone tries to use them. I don't allow that. I have tried so much to change this. I had to limit the boxes he used because he would line the toys up and go to the next box. It's hard as he is a 1 day a week child. I need to expand his play. Any idea.

hectors house
20-02-2014, 08:43 AM
Maybe give him things that he is allowed to line up - dominoes, pieces of pasta in a tuff spot - encourage him to collate the toys into lines of different sizes or colours, threading cotton reels or buttons onto laces?

Simona
20-02-2014, 01:19 PM
Got a lo 30 mts. He comes 1 day a week. He takes the toys out and lines them up. Every day every time. He now has his friend doing it. I have activities planned put the toys out and he just puts them in a line. He gets cross if anyone tries to use them. I don't allow that. I have tried so much to change this. I had to limit the boxes he used because he would line the toys up and go to the next box. It's hard as he is a 1 day a week child. I need to expand his play. Any idea.

Take a look at 'schemas' ...that is what the child is displaying in his play
Hope it helps

Mouse
20-02-2014, 01:43 PM
One of my mindees is following this schema at the moment.

When he has made his line we take a photo of it so he has a permanent record of it. I also give him a limited number of toys that the other children aren't allowed to touch, so it doesn't get out of hand (ie. he can keep a certain number of toys to himself, but not ALL of them!)

To expand his play, I suggest he lines the biggest cars up first, or the blue ones first, or I give him pattern cards and ask if he can copy them (eg. red bead, blue bead, red bead, blue bead).

But basically, I just let him get on with it. I make sure he has a clear space so he is not getting in any one else's way, nor are they getting in his way :thumbsup:

jackie 7
20-02-2014, 01:54 PM
Thanks everyone. I have fond an obs on schemas.j just want to moved him on as if has been a long time. Good ides on here. I will give him different size of things to Lind up. And I will find him am area he can line up toys. It has become difficult fog the others so that I'd why hd needs to expand his at.

primula
20-02-2014, 02:09 PM
I have the same at my house! I just let him do it really but make sure the little one still has something to play with! I give him bricks, trains, cars, Duplo, empty boxes, he goes under the table, through chairs! Can he do it on the table out of the way of the other kids? I love watching kids that are schematic in their play, it makes you put your thinking hat on! I sometimes wonder if they have to go through this process to get to the next, so they can move on, like a sort of building blocks, if that make sense?!!

Mouse
20-02-2014, 02:45 PM
Buttons are another good thing for them to line up. They are a bit more fiddly (good for fine motor skills) and take longer to line up. They also take up less space then hundreds of cars!

You could turn it into an activity - a box of buttons and a tray and encourage him to make lines, but all within the tray.

watford wizz
20-02-2014, 03:11 PM
Nature gives you lots to line up, pebbles, stones, twigs, leaves, logs, or the kitchen saucepans, spoons, plastic boxes, cups plates etc have fun x

Tealady
20-02-2014, 04:12 PM
I don't think you can "move them on". I have a mindee who is 3.5 and has done this since very little.

gef918
20-02-2014, 04:15 PM
Good ideas given. Bear in mind that though this may just be a schema, it can also be a sign of autism if it is taken to extremes.

Jiorjiina
20-02-2014, 05:15 PM
Thanks everyone. I have fond an obs on schemas.j just want to moved him on as if has been a long time. Good ides on here. I will give him different size of things to Lind up. And I will find him am area he can line up toys. It has become difficult fog the others so that I'd why hd needs to expand his at.

I have a 28 month old mindee who likes to do this too. I can always tell where he's been because I keep finding lines of toy cars all over the place! I tried offering him other things to line up, but he only likes to line cars up. So we looked at parking, and car parks and so on, which he really enjoyed.

You can't force him to move on though, only support him while he explores it until he moves himself on. And he might always like lining things up.

Good ideas given. Bear in mind that though this may just be a schema, it can also be a sign of autism if it is taken to extremes.

There would need to be a lot of other signs though before this would be a concern.

jackie 7
20-02-2014, 05:19 PM
Well he was up early from rest and I took out the sorting dinosaurs. For the first time he colour sorted them! Talked about the colours. I will use your suggestion and get buttons etc so he can use a tray to line up. Having looked after several sen boys it is something I watch out for. I need to ensure his schema does nog take away from the others play. I know if is worse because his mum had a bang recently. I am reassures that it is not something I can or should change.

Simona
20-02-2014, 07:56 PM
Don't confuse Schemas with autism...they are different
This particular child is showing a 'trajectory' schema because he lines everything up
Just by repeating this he is still learning and his activities will cover all the 7 areas in the EYFS

http://earlychildcare.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/schemas-e28093-how-to-understand-and-extend-children_s-behaviour.pdf

Schemas is an old concept...read this and find Prof Cathy Nutbrown in there

Schemas in Action at Thanet Early Years Project (http://thanetearlyyearsproject.blogspot.co.uk/)

jackie 7
21-02-2014, 09:35 PM
Sorry Simmone i should have replied earlier. Thanks for the info. It is my weekend reading. I don't think he is autistic. I will do some good planning this weekend for him. Thanks everyone.