PDA

View Full Version : Inhaler and spacer

Tulip
19-02-2014, 09:20 PM
Should I have had training before giving a little one their inhaler using a spacer. (I know it's basic) but just wondered if this comes in under the stat framework eyfs under health and medicines, what do you good people think.

FloraDora
19-02-2014, 09:40 PM
Not sure what is compulsory, but good practise would be to have training.
In schools the staff that oversaw the inhalers were specifically trained by school nurse..

loocyloo
19-02-2014, 09:42 PM
The first child I cared for who had an inhaler was a LO I nannied for. The Dr and then the pharmacist showed me. I've had several since then. Last year dd was given one and again both the Dr and pharmacist showed me ( even though I said I knew! )
I'm sure the pharmacist would show you so you feel happy with using inhaler.

Tulip
19-02-2014, 10:16 PM
Thank you, guess i'll just pop along to the chemist and ask them to show me :)

FloraDora
20-02-2014, 07:48 AM
Thank you, guess i'll just pop along to the chemist and ask them to show me :)

You will need to take the child too - each child is different in the way they inhale, too short a breath etc... It's much better that you complete training with the child who is using it. Parent permission needed of course.

sarah707
20-02-2014, 07:50 AM
Parents can train you - just ask them to sign to say they've done it x

gef918
20-02-2014, 04:33 PM
I had parents train me and Ofsted inspector was happy with that.

Tulip
20-02-2014, 05:18 PM
Parents can train you - just ask them to sign to say they've done it x

That sounds simpler, thanks :)

FloraDora
24-02-2014, 08:37 PM
We had parents once 'train us' and it turned out she was suffering from munchousen by proxy- I was questioned as to why I had not sought professional training. At the social services reviews my acceptance of parent training was not looked upon positively. Her child had received an inhaler and resources through the doctors originally, she kept all the packaging with child's name,swapped labels, changed expiry dates for some time after asthma clinic signed him off ( suspicion of if he really needed it in the first place) not sure where she got inhalers from??? it came to light when my first aider questioned an inhaler without a name, mum had slipped up.
After this, I always went to GP / school nurse...and unfortunately I have one side of me since that is cautious ...

Tulip
24-02-2014, 11:09 PM
We had parents once 'train us' and it turned out she was suffering from munchousen by proxy- I was questioned as to why I had not sought professional training. At the social services reviews my acceptance of parent training was not looked upon positively. Her child had received an inhaler and resources through the doctors originally, she kept all the packaging with child's name,swapped labels, changed expiry dates for some time after asthma clinic signed him off ( suspicion of if he really needed it in the first place) not sure where she got inhalers from??? it came to light when my first aider questioned an inhaler without a name, mum had slipped up.
After this, I always went to GP / school nurse...and unfortunately I have one side of me since that is cautious ...

Gosh Floradora, thats really scary, glad you brought it up though, thanks

gef918
26-02-2014, 07:39 AM
Gosh Floradora, thats really scary, glad you brought it up though, thanks

I agree. Scary!