PDA

View Full Version : Unruly boy with mum

19-02-2014, 04:36 PM
I have been looking after a LO since he was a baby in arms. He is now 4 and quite a handful. Whilst he is with me I am fairly strict and there are consequences to his behaviour. Yesterday he was lashing out at the other children because he wanted to have a turn on the computer.

I removed him from the situation and told him the behaviour was totally unacceptable, no hitting others etc and after the second hitting incident, I told him he would not b allowed on computer for the rest of the day and I stuck to it.

When mum arrived to collect LO he began acting up and started kicking her REALLY hard!!! Mum did nothing....I think to be honest she's gets embarrassed with his unruly behaviour. After a few times of him repeatedly attacking mum in my hallway I grabbed him, put him on my stairs and told him that I would not have that behaviour in my house! His mum looked shocked!!!!

The thing is I think it will happen over and over again :(

19-02-2014, 04:59 PM
Oh well true to form his mum arrived....he ran out of the door with his mum shouting for him to wait. He didn't listen so I shouted for him to stop (my road can be busy at times!). He stopped, turned around and shouted "it's not your rules now!" to me. His mum said nothing and just said goodbye :(

emma04
19-02-2014, 05:05 PM
Oh well true to form his mum arrived....he ran out of the door with his mum shouting for him to wait. He didn't listen so I shouted for him to stop (my road can be busy at times!). He stopped, turned around and shouted "it's not your rules now!" to me. His mum said nothing and just said goodbye :(

Sounds like you're fighting a losing battle there!

Sorry if I offend but some parents are just plain stupid, ignorant and useless!!!
If growing a back bone was as easy as making excuses for their poor behaviour management skills, the world would be a more enjoyable place!!

Have you tried explaining to lo that if he behaves badly when his mum collects that he will NOT be able to do "x y z" exciting activity the following day.......then follow it through!
You'll have the last laugh then! Good luck

19-02-2014, 06:57 PM
That's exactly what I'm going to do Emma as he is forever testing the boundaries which I have under control here but the minute his mum or dad arrives he starts playing up :(

sing-low
19-02-2014, 08:14 PM
At least you are giving him some boundaries at yours, but so hard when you see it all undone once parents arrive.

wee_elf
19-02-2014, 09:59 PM
I think you are doing the best you can by imposing the consistent boundaries when he is in your care, unfortunately mum is making a rod for her own back :(

emma04
20-02-2014, 08:33 AM
That's exactly what I'm going to do Emma as he is forever testing the boundaries which I have under control here but the minute his mum or dad arrives he starts playing up :(

Sounds good! This is what I do. I have an angel lo who turns in to a Tasmanian devil when mum comes. I've given up doing anything at handover and am working on his collection behaviour within the setting!

He only acts up to get attention from mum but does things that require urgent intervention (running in road, throwing stones at neighbours car!!) little so and so!!!!

Have even contemplated inviting my neighbour round for a chat!!! Lol (won't be doing this I hasten to add!!!!!! Even though Los mum agreed)