PDA

View Full Version : Childcare stressed

Hello you
19-02-2014, 08:34 AM
Hi everyone,

I would like to ask a thing, why people are so stressed, they freak out with
OFSTED and I think that it is affect the environment for children's, childminder's
or nurseries even families etc...
I have found people who works in Childcare here in England too stressed, I come
from New Zealand, and there we are relaxed, positive with a funny environment.
Thanks for your attention :)

FussyElmo
19-02-2014, 08:42 AM
Hi everyone,

OFSTED and I think that it is affect the environment for children's, childminder's

A little harsh on us. I think that most of us are relaxed and positive and have happy environments.

Yes Ofsted inspections are stressful and with good reason. they only have a snapshot of what we do and judge us on that. A unfair inspector/inspection leaves you with a grade that doesn't show us in a positive light and we have that grade for years.

Whats the inspection system like in New Zealand?

Hello you
19-02-2014, 08:58 AM
Thanks for your answer!

I would not to be harsh at all! It is not a criticism, only something
that I have noticed since I have been living in London, for already one year!

I know that you do your best to make children happy in the setting, but for me
adults are too nervous, maybe it does not affected the little one's...

Thank you again ;)

A little harsh on us. I think that most of us are relaxed and positive and have happy environments.

Yes Ofsted inspections are stressful and with good reason. they only have a snapshot of what we do and judge us on that. A unfair inspector/inspection leaves you with a grade that doesn't show us in a positive light and we have that grade for years.

Whats the inspection system like in New Zealand?

JCrakers
19-02-2014, 09:11 AM
There's only 1 thing that stops me doing my job properly and that's Ofsted. Over the 6.5yrs I've been doing this its just become more and more stressful. My friend works in a well known nursery which is part of a chain, they have over 100 policies which they change monthly, a head injury form is over a whole side of A4 and the staff just sit with heads down filling out sheets out and taking photos instead of interacting with the children.
They have their own Ofsted inspection to see if they can improve, which is a good idea but its just far too focused on 'what can we do to keep Ofsted happy'

Childcare has changed so much since I nannied in the 90's. Ofsted do have some positive sides but they apply too much pressure.

jackie 7
19-02-2014, 09:11 AM
What is the inspection system in New Zealand? We like to compare systems. Are you childminding here? If so you will realise that ofsted can worry us because they inspect everyone differently. We love our job. We work hard to have happy children. You will find we moan here because we work alone.

emma04
19-02-2014, 09:18 AM
Thanks for your answer! I would not to be harsh at all! It is not a criticism, only something that I have noticed since I have been living in London, for already one year! I know that you do your best to make children happy in the setting, but for me adults are too nervous, maybe it does not affected the little one's... Thank you again ;)

You said it just there! You have only been here one year and have understandably not experienced Ofsted and the common inconsistencies that are often apparent across England!

I would not suggest that we are nervous. It's more a case of us being disappointed in the way that our monitoring system conducts itself!

The children could not be better off in my opinion!!! We all strive to provide fabulous environments for the children in our care and the feelings we have for Ofsted are CERTAINLY NOT reflected in the way in which we care for children.

I have had good and bad experiences with Ofsted and I think this is seen across the childminding sector. Ofsted get a sneak preview of our businesses when they visit and make very important and business changing decisions based on very short observations/inspections.

Some times this has devastating effects on childminders who can ultimately lose their livelihoods as a result of negative comments and comments that are worded in such a way that childminders are made to look incompetent and incapable.

However, some inspections can be positive and constructive!

tulip0803
19-02-2014, 09:47 AM
With OFSTED there are some wonderful inspectors and then some others that seem to have their own agendas. Childminders do not know who they have coming out - they rarely see the same inspector even if they work for many years.

There is no consistency with inspections. An inspector may pick something out as a concern and yet another childminder nearby may do the same thing and their inspector think it's fine.

OFSTED are more interested in how good your paperwork is rather than the care you show the children.

Some inspectors think childminding can never be as good as a nursery so go into the inspection with pre-conceptions that taint their views.

We all have personalities and throughout life experience personality clashes with people even if we meet them for a short time - If that person holds power over your job and what grading you get .... well :huh:

OFSTED inspectors are seen as all powerful and there is little that a childminder can do about an inspector's attitude to the childminder or childminding profession.

Some inspectors knock the confidence of childminders rather than helping them to improve - can come across as bullying rather than encouraging improvement.

Each year there is more and more pressure put on childminders by OFSTED and politicians who all have their own agendas - none of them want to show childminders in a good (or outstanding) light!

It is difficult to know that you are doing a good job when the goal posts are being moved seemingly with each childminders inspection, there is no consistency and your are dependent on the whim of a stranger that sees you for 2-3 hours in a stressful situation.

I worked in England as a childminder under OFSTED but before it got horrendous with uncertainty. I moved to Wales and the inspections are much more relaxed we have named inspectors that we can contact if we have a query. Although I worry about inspections I do not have a panic as I have not met a horrible CSSIW inspector. We are inspected every 2 years (more often than England) and they are unannounced although we are given a 3 month time period, this year they tried a year one but found that childminders were out and working hours had changed. My inspection last month I had 2 inspectors as one was being trained both were lovely:thumbsup:

What I am trying to say is that OFSTED make it difficult for childminders to be relaxed around an inspection but that does not mean that childminders are stressed all the time and that this has a long term effect of children in their care. The majority of the time childminders are able to enjoy their profession and the children in their care but when Big Brother comes a knocking there is no telling the outcome.

shortstuff
19-02-2014, 12:25 PM
I would like to add my opinion if I may.

I was looking forward to my grading inspection in that I saw it as a positive experience.

The inspector immediately made me terrified by telling me I was getting satisfactory within the first couple of sentences out of her mouth. She then proceeded to pick me apart for the next few hours to justify her statement.

When I made a complaint it was decided in the inspectors favour as I had no proof and she denied everything she had said. Even when I offered them a signed statement from my assistant who was with me that day backing up my version of events.

Hence why im not looking forward to the next time they choose to visit.

Ripeberry
19-02-2014, 12:52 PM
We would all love to be natural and free spirited with the children in our care. But we have expectations to meet from the parents, children and Ofsted. We have to prove that we are doing our best at all times. So maybe sometimes that can be 'stressful' as we are only human. What is the inspection system like in New Zealand?

Simona
19-02-2014, 01:36 PM
Hi everyone,

New Zealand has a system of childcare with varied providers with a 'common curriculum' Te Whariki which was created by the EY workforce together with the government.... in 'co-operation' ....and to offer consistency and continuity
The system is funded 85% by the government

http://www.cccabc.bc.ca/cccabcdocs/governance/ggcc_nzmodel.pdf

Margaret Carr was instrumental in creating the curriculum in 1996 and it is still used today...compare that to our EYFS 2008 which was reformed in 2012 and now awaiting another shake up by the govt despite huge opposition from the sector.

That is the most striking difference between what we have here which is based on govt interference and total disregard of the people who work in the sector, it ignores the consistent improvement we contribute to an ever changing policy.

In addition we have an inspectorate whose job is to judge and improve practice but do not do it in an engaging manner and is proving to be very inconsistent in its approach.

No one should be scared or stressed by Ofsted...but we are.... because the goal posts keep moving leaving us deflated and demoralised....but we soldier on!

primula
19-02-2014, 03:43 PM
Hi everyone,

I don't think it is a question a 'freaking out' most childminders just want to get it right and most of the time we are not always sure what the 'right' will be on the day as there is so much variation in our inspections, as you will see on further reading on this wonderful forum.
I personally was slightly offended by your post, I don't freak out, that's just me but some of my childminder friends do, as they have concerns on their own ability to write policies, R.A.s, records L.J and in particular how to 'be' when you have a total stranger in your house watching you and taking notes for 4+hrs!
The rest of the 3/4 years in between we are probably all very relaxed and enjoy our work and have warm, loving,caring and happy environments ( funny environment???), with happy parents and children.
This forum is a form of support for all minders and of course by nature there will be posts about questions and helped and advice wanted, which is freely given.

bunyip
19-02-2014, 06:39 PM
i spent most my adult life in London and knew many New Zealanders. They pretty much all agreed that practically every aspect of life in London was far more stressy than back home in Middle Earth. :rolleyes:

WibbleWobble
19-02-2014, 07:52 PM
i spent most my adult life in London and knew many New Zealanders. They pretty much all agreed that practically every aspect of life in London was far more stressy than back home in Middle Earth. :rolleyes:

Snork!!! Splutter... Hoot!

Wibble

Simona
19-02-2014, 08:03 PM
Hello you...what you have not said is if you work in a childcare setting...is that where you have felt the stress or just by reading our comments here?

Also is there an equivalent to Ofsted in New Zealand? if not who judges the quality of the care?
Good if you could share.

Hello you
19-02-2014, 09:03 PM
OFSTED is gonna kill you all, it is terrible and a bad job from them!

I would like to add my opinion if I may.

I was looking forward to my grading inspection in that I saw it as a positive experience.

The inspector immediately made me terrified by telling me I was getting satisfactory within the first couple of sentences out of her mouth. She then proceeded to pick me apart for the next few hours to justify her statement.

When I made a complaint it was decided in the inspectors favour as I had no proof and she denied everything she had said. Even when I offered them a signed statement from my assistant who was with me that day backing up my version of events.

Hence why im not looking forward to the next time they choose to visit.

shortstuff
19-02-2014, 09:08 PM

Probably will. They seem to be great at trying anyway.

It was 9 months ago now so hey lets just hope my next inspector is a different person.

Hello you
19-02-2014, 09:13 PM
Sorry! I am not judging, at all, I have only noticed the reality. Yes, I work in a Nurserie,
but I have already seen how nurseries are cold, they do activities and they make children's
pictures...they do only it.
The staff does not seems happy nor warm with the little one's.

In NZ we don't have childminders as here, only nurseries but we are very close to nature
and we keep doing all activities in this kind of environment, but, I can compare because
the weather is different from here.

I am not doing a criticism against childminders, I know that you do your best and you are very nice
professionals. I have started this conversation to know more about what you all think about this
reality. Congratulations for your job!

Thanks everyone for your time and lovely messages.

FussyElmo
19-02-2014, 09:25 PM
Sorry! I am not judging, at all, I have only noticed the reality. Yes, I work in a Nurserie,
but I have already seen how nurseries are cold, they do activities and they make children's

In NZ we don't have childminders as here, only nurseries but we are very close to nature
and we keep doing all activities in this kind of environment, but, I can compare because

I am not doing a criticism against childminders, I know that you do your best and you are very nice
professionals. I have started this conversation to know more about what you all think about this

Oh that's strange my SIL lived in new Zealand and is from Australia she always said that childminders were the same as daycare providers/educators.

Hello you
19-02-2014, 09:33 PM
It depends on the area! I don't know in Australia how it works ...

Simona
19-02-2014, 09:37 PM

Hello you....Keep the conversation going ...share what you do in your nursery, there is little opportunity to do so and I am sure it would be welcome!
There is lots we could talk about

When you get inspected we would like to hear how you felt on the day!!!...do not panic !!!

FussyElmo
19-02-2014, 09:40 PM
It depends on the area! I don't know in Australia how it works ...

She said it worked the same as New Zealand :)

Hello you
19-02-2014, 09:55 PM
I do activities with children there, and I try being warm with them...it is not easy because they
are more than 20 per day, but I do as you all, my best everyday :)

Hello you....Keep the conversation going ...share what you do in your nursery, there is little opportunity to do so and I am sure it would be welcome!
There is lots we could talk about

When you get inspected we would like to hear how you felt on the day!!!...do not panic !!!

Simona
19-02-2014, 09:59 PM
I do activities with children there, and I try being warm with them...it is not easy because they
are more than 20 per day, but I do as you all, my best everyday :)

20 activities or 20 children?
20 activities sounds like super planning!

shortstuff
19-02-2014, 10:02 PM
Sorry! I am not judging, at all, I have only noticed the reality.

No need for an apology to me x im ok and havent taken any offence at all x

Hello you
20-02-2014, 04:27 AM
This is absolutely true, in nurseries the environment are cold and they care only about the pictures that they make to show to parents, the staff does not seems happy!

UOTE=JCrakers;1343560]There's only 1 thing that stops me doing my job properly and that's Ofsted. Over the 6.5yrs I've been doing this its just become more and more stressful. My friend works in a well known nursery which is part of a chain, they have over 100 policies which they change monthly, a head injury form is over a whole side of A4 and the staff just sit with heads down filling out sheets out and taking photos instead of interacting with the children.
They have their own Ofsted inspection to see if they can improve, which is a good idea but its just far too focused on 'what can we do to keep Ofsted happy'

Childcare has changed so much since I nannied in the 90's. Ofsted do have some positive sides but they apply too much pressure.[/QUOTE]

FussyElmo
20-02-2014, 07:22 AM
This is absolutely true, in nurseries the environment are cold and they care only about the pictures that they make to show to parents, the staff does not seems happy!

UOTE=JCrakers;1343560]There's only 1 thing that stops me doing my job properly and that's Ofsted. Over the 6.5yrs I've been doing this its just become more and more stressful. My friend works in a well known nursery which is part of a chain, they have over 100 policies which they change monthly, a head injury form is over a whole side of A4 and the staff just sit with heads down filling out sheets out and taking photos instead of interacting with the children.

Childcare has changed so much since I nannied in the 90's. Ofsted do have some positive sides but they apply too much pressure.[/QUOTE]

That might be what is happening in your nursery and like everything there are good and bad in every profession.