PDA

View Full Version : School Aged Children

Bels
18-02-2014, 04:05 PM
Hi everyone,

I've only been childminding a few months and I have just taken on two brothers after school. One is 5, in Reception and the other 6, in Yr 2. I'm just wondering what the requirements are in terms of planning and assessment. I know for my Reception child I obviously won't have to complete the Profile, but do I still need to plan and assess him against the EYFS as he is still in the Early Years, as I would a pre-schooler? From what I can gather I don't have to do anything specific for my older child, is that correct?

moggy
18-02-2014, 04:53 PM
EYFS Statutory Framework Section 1, 1.3 explains what to do for the EYFS child (reception year), it is 'wrap around care' that you are doing (before and after school and holidays). This is probably changing from Sept with the revised 2014 EYFS- it is proposed that wrap around care no longer has to follow learning and development requirements.

The Year 6 child is outside the EYFS so no requirements for learning and development there.

Cooks
18-02-2014, 07:49 PM
Hi

I am also just minding after school children, two age six and one seven years. Expecting to have a visit from Ofsted soon for grading. Can anyone help with what I need to have in place i.e. paperwork before they come :)

moggy
18-02-2014, 08:23 PM
Hi

I am also just minding after school children, two age six and one seven years. Expecting to have a visit from Ofsted soon for grading. Can anyone help with what I need to have in place i.e. paperwork before they come :)

You need to be careful on this one- Ofsted can only grade you for Early Years Register if you have early years children on your books. You do not. So, if they phone ahead (usual practice) they will ask if you have early years children on your books- you must tell them that you do not and they will delay until you do have at least one. I am sure others who have been through this can tell you more about how it works- maybe do a search on the forum as I am sure it has been discussed before..

Cooks
18-02-2014, 09:48 PM
Hi

Thanks for your reply, i will search the forum for more help:)

maisiemog
18-02-2014, 10:08 PM
If you have an inspection without early years you won't be graded but will be told you are either meeting the requirements or aren't. I only do school kids as well at the moment and my EYO told me that they will defer my inspection for as long as possible while I don't have early years children, although I'm going to have to have one during this cycle but I'm advertising now so think I will have early years children by then!

Bels
19-02-2014, 10:12 PM
Thanks for replies :-) xx