PDA

View Full Version : Help with behaviour

pinklady756
18-02-2014, 03:18 PM
I really need some help and advice.

I've got a little one (3yrs) who's been coming for about 4 months and I'm finding the behaviour difficult. I've done training in the past and have tried implementing techniques, but whilst some seemed to make a difference early on, lately it's getting worse.

I've got a very stressful personal life at the moment and I'm finding it all too much. I'm not enjoying my job as much as I used to, and find the struggle of separating squabbling/upset children and time outs etc etc is taking up so much time and we're not really having fun anymore :-(

The other children don't understand why lo is hurting them and not playing nicely, one child has been saying they don't want to come to my house anymore and I know this lo is the reason. :-(

Time out is not helping and if anything makes things worse. I try to ignore the behaviour and make a fuss of the lo's who've been hurt, but although that worked in the beginning it doesn't seem to now. I don't have any knowledge of SEN but think there may be other issues here. They don't like playing with others, always plays alone, struggles to interact with other children and pinches/pushes/snatches toys - we think for attention. When another child is laughing or having fun with a toy for instance, lo will snatch it off of them. Cries whenever things don't go their way and has recently started spitting. Anything I say not to do, of course the child does. We have a toddler group and last week was awful, lo kept running up to children he'd never seen before pinching/hitting them or pushing them over.

Feel like a rubbish childminder and that it's having a negative affect on everyone.

hectors house
18-02-2014, 05:29 PM
Oh dear that's a hard situation to be in - have you tried speaking to the parents, what do they do at home if child misbehaves? Have you tried doing some observations on this child - something called an ABCC prompt sheet

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDYQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.six.somerset.gov.uk%2Fsomerse teds%2Fdo_download.asp%3Fdid%3D24598&ei=4pYDU8KeEMip7AbOvoDwAQ&usg=AFQjCNGC5coMqMDMS4QjXOjVAo4M4Z6x8Q&bvm=bv.61535280,d.bGQ The link does come up as being blocked, but it is safe to download - it's Somerset County Council website!

You may see something happen BEFORE this child kicks off, something that makes he behave in this way, something that upsets him, something that the other child/ren does to him that you haven't seen.

I know the weather isn't helping at the moment, but is this child better when they can play outside and have more space to themself? I know that lots of teachers in primary schools are complaining that the children are acting up at the moment and they are putting it down to the amount of wet playtimes and lunch times the children have - everyone is fed up being inside.