PDA

View Full Version : Term time only advise pls

dusky777
17-02-2014, 10:42 AM
Hi

I currently look after a lo once a week term time only. Mum has just called to says shes been offered a job 12-6 term time only mon - fri and do I have space? She needs me 11.15 - 5 ( dads picking up)
I have the space as los handed in notice last week but the problem I have is what to charge? I know I should charge the full day as I cant fill the morning space but shes on a low income and I think if I do this she will just look else where or not take the job. Plus im unsure about the term time only part, the 6 weeks hols will be a killer!
As los handed in notice last week I do need the money but I don't want to leave my self stuck if something else comes up?!

On the other hand lo turns 3 in aug so iam I right in thinking I can claim pre school vouchers? Shes been told someones going on mat leave and from sept she can go full time for 9 months. So my thoughts are I will fill the full time space from sept anyway??
I find this job is so swings and round abouts!!

Im willing to work something out but any advise would be appreciated. Sorry for rambling, quick message while lo is sleeping!!

The Juggler
17-02-2014, 10:47 AM
i was a bit confused about the second part of the post hon, but for the first part, here's what I'd do.

Firstly, as you've just lost some children I'd take it as you know her and LO already. It's a 6 hour day if you charge from 11-5pm (I assume you charge in full hours) so not so far off a full day. Then I'd try to find a holiday only child to fill the gap - or if you can afford it - enjoy more time with less children during school holidays. :thumbsup:

dusky777
17-02-2014, 10:54 AM
i was a bit confused about the second part of the post hon, but for the first part, here's what I'd do.

Firstly, as you've just lost some children I'd take it as you know her and LO already. It's a 6 hour day if you charge from 11-5pm (I assume you charge in full hours) so not so far off a full day. Then I'd try to find a holiday only child to fill the gap - or if you can afford it - enjoy more time with less children during school holidays. :thumbsup:

Second part - Basically I know from Sept (as long as she takes the maternity cover) I will have lo full time. I haven't taken vouchers so far but I believe its easier to claim them now? So I will charge for the full day minus the vouchers, which for mum will probably be about the same as she will be paying if I charge her by the hour now.

Ive never charges by the hour only full or part day

The Juggler
17-02-2014, 11:01 AM
Second part - Basically I know from Sept (as long as she takes the maternity cover) I will have lo full time. I haven't taken vouchers so far but I believe its easier to claim them now? So I will charge for the full day minus the vouchers, which for mum will probably be about the same as she will be paying if I charge her by the hour now.

Ive never charges by the hour only full or part day

if you are thinking ahead to Sept and offering a nursery funded place, ensure you register early with your LA to do that. And yes you could charge her for the non-nursery hours though be warned the hourly rate is not always as high as you charge (have a look into it first). The nursery hours will only cover you for 3 hours per day. :thumbsup:

Mouse
17-02-2014, 11:07 AM
I have a minimum daily charge of £25. I decided that was the least I would want to earn if a whole day was being taken up (my full daily rate is £35).

If I was worried about losing money from a term time only contract I would charge a retainer, but work it out over the 38 term weeks.

So £125 a week over 38 weeks with 10 weeks at half fee retainer and 4 weeks at no fee for my holiday. That would be £5375 over a year, so approx £142 over 38 weeks. Parents are happy as they are only paying during term time, childminder is happy as they're charging a retainer for the holidays, but don't have to keep the space available (although you do have to be strict with yourself about saving the extra money each week towards the holidays) :thumbsup:

As for the free entitlement funding, check with your LA as some are still making it difficult to claim.

Angela234
17-02-2014, 03:43 PM
I only charge for the hours used so that would be 11 - 5 I used to charge 1/2 fee for school holidays al parents were happy with that don't have any term time only children at the present time but if any come along I will add a little to my hourly fee as several around here do about 25p

gef918
17-02-2014, 06:18 PM
The others have advised you well about fees. I would consider though a lo arriving at 11.15 - will this interfere with playgroups and outings?

dusky777
19-02-2014, 08:33 PM
Hi thanks for all yr advise they need her to start at 11.30 so she's decided to put him in 3 full days for the time being and from April full time as she's just found out she could have been claiming full child care for her uni course even though she only has classes once a week it's a full time course!