PDA

View Full Version : Half term help please- flooding means i have no ideas left

Minstrel
15-02-2014, 08:13 PM
So you may or may not know we have a touch of flooding in my area....

Half term is here and I have 4 days of a 1,2 and 3 year old to entertain.

We've no groups, no park, no river to feed the ducks (oh the irony!) and even a simple walk is really out of bounds since you don't want to risk putting yourself into danger.

We've been in all week due to no groups mad limited roads out of the village so cabin fever is setting in.

Any ideas truly welcome!

Mouse
15-02-2014, 08:31 PM
Can you get out into your garden?

For indoor play, what about pop up tents, or make a den. We were stuck in one day this week (couldn't even get into the garden) and I made the los a den by putting a blanket over a chair & table. They played in it for hours!

We also had an indoor picnic, which they all enjoyed.

Another thing they like is being given a box of random toys to look through. I get a box out of the garage that has got all sorts of things in it - little people. McDonalds toys, bits of play food, cars etc. They will spend ages looking through it to see what they can find.

I have to say though, my mindees (all aged 4 and under) require very little entertaining. They free play for most of the day, helping themselves to toys. They rarely look bored, so I just let them get on with it :thumbsup:

blue bear
15-02-2014, 08:33 PM
Can you go won a pretend holiday, so make passports, pack bags, look online for holidays, print tickets, make postcards etc. anyway to skype a friend and make contact to the outside world that way?

Is there anyway you could go visit another childminder, I know you say roads are limited but if you can get out somewhere and then the next day have them and their children to yours? I think I'm too far away (2 hours) but surely there is somewhere closer.

VeggieSausage
15-02-2014, 08:49 PM
Yes I was going to suggest a theme, we are doing castles, knights and castles - but I have an older one than yours .... use the time to focus on next steps activities.....I know how you feel 4 children every day and the weather pants and as my dh is being made redundant in a month I don't want to spend any money. We are doing trip to the library, junk modelling, music, songs and dancing every day, stories every day, baking biscuits and some cakes, gonna get all the toys out I haven't had out for a while, local shop to choose some healthy snacks, hand and footprints for everyone ..... its going to be a hard week....I am working 5 days....I think take the pressure off yourself and do what is easy....

Minstrel
15-02-2014, 08:52 PM
I think you're right mouse, they would very happily free play all day, it's me that is getting bored!

I have local CMs that I see often, and I've actually just messaged one and we're going to try and go out on Wednesday. Even all our local 'days out' are out of action - Saville Gardens? Trying to find out what the situation there is, I suspect flooded too as it's in the Great Park.

Garden isn't too bad. Very boggy but I have a small patio.

yummyripples
15-02-2014, 09:26 PM
Waterproof suits, get in the garden and clean your outdoor toys. Get some clean soil and make mud pies outside.
clean your normal toys and dry them - they will love it.

yummyripples
15-02-2014, 09:27 PM
Lining paper covering the floor (totally) and stuck down with masking tape. Get the paint out!

yummyripples
15-02-2014, 09:29 PM
The other thing mine love is a bag of flour tipped out on the kitchen table with small world toys. They play for hours.
Sorry it's all messy ideas

wee_elf
15-02-2014, 10:24 PM
Exploring water as a theme? It may be something they are interested in exploring further due to the situation?
Ice play, mixing coloured water, sink/float, paddling pool inside.... xx

loocyloo
16-02-2014, 09:21 AM
some great ideas there. might have to borrow them myself!

I am loving the bag of flour idea ! :D I suspect Dh will not be so impressed!:D

Mouse
16-02-2014, 09:31 AM
I think you're right mouse, they would very happily free play all day, it's me that is getting bored!

o.

lol...I can understand that!

I use my time to do paperwork, or make new resources for the children. Catching up on paperwork is great because as soon as we're out and about again I can forget about it!

Daisy1956
16-02-2014, 08:45 PM
I did this with flour, it was great children(and me) loved it. The only problem was they looked like flour millers at the end. Everyone was covered I had to bang all their clothes against the wall outside to get rid off the flour. Children thought it was so funny.

Minstrel
16-02-2014, 09:03 PM
I'd love to do it with the older ones but my 1 year old has a trajectory schemer and just throws paint and messy stuff. I know a great cm shouldn't care but I do. Eek!

I've got some old wallpaper rolls and I'm going to cover the table and put blobs of paint on and let them finger paint.

I have made a new treasure basket.

I've got an Argos catalogue for them to rip up (don't ask!)

We're decorating fairy cakes.

Day out on Wednesday.

I've got porridge oats for the toy kitchen.

And lots of garden time and free play.

line6
16-02-2014, 09:39 PM
First of all I'm sooooo happy to read that some of your mindees are happiest with free play. My 2 1/2 year old finds it so hard to be guided and really just wants to do his own thing. I'm so glad I'm not alone as I constantly worry that I am not doing enought specific activities with him.

I've got 5 children for 3 days this week. 3 are my own so it should be easy but ages range from 2 up to 9 so it's hard to amuse everyone. I've kept back our huge box of dressing up which I think will keep them amused for ages. They love the wooden train track and Happyland - both of which we have loads off so plenty for all. I will be doing a few craft things, some baking and sometimes just chilling - oh and I got a Boogie Beebies DVD as someone reminded me how much fun they are on here this week!

I'm so hoping that the weather is as it was today - sunny and warm with no wind - so we can get out. We're lucky enough to be walking distance from the beach so we can blow away a few cobwebs as long as the weather is not too bad. The wind and rain lately have made it very hard to be outside for long.

line6
16-02-2014, 09:40 PM
Oh and we always have Argos catalogues - they love cutting, ripping making pictures etc!

KatieFS
16-02-2014, 10:02 PM
Some great ideas...
Do you drive? Trip to garden centre, look at fish guinea pigs etc??

jackie 7
16-02-2014, 11:47 PM
I have been thinking about all the cms who have been affected by the floods. I am pleased you are ok. It must be so difficult for you. Just do what makes you happy.

rickysmiths
17-02-2014, 05:30 AM
Can you get over as far as Black Park near Slough as far as I am aware that is ok and there is a great play area for little ones and bigger ones the cafe is good too.

Black Park - Buckinghamshire County Council (http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/leisure-and-culture/country-parks/black-park/)

Is Bekonscot Model Village too far?

Bekonscot Model Village & Railway - Bekonscot Model Village and Railway (http://www.bekonscot.co.uk/)

I am going to both next week weather permitting Black Park on Tues and Bekonscot on Thursday the two days I have my 4yr old!

Our local big park is flooded too much I went and had a look this afternoon it has been a no go area for a couple of weeks now which is a shame because we usually go at least twice a week.

I made it over to Uxbridge and back ok on Friday.

Dragonfly
17-02-2014, 07:56 AM
Sorry must be my age, but the bag of flour does nothing for me-- mess for days and breathing it in def a no, no for me.

yummyripples
17-02-2014, 08:06 AM
Sorry must be my age, but the bag of flour does nothing for me-- mess for days and breathing it in def a no, no for me.

Don't think it's an age thing - I am ancient.
It cleans up really well ( kids brush and then I hoover)
Go on..... give it a go

Minstrel
18-02-2014, 01:56 PM
Can you get over as far as Black Park near Slough as far as I am aware that is ok and there is a great play area for little ones and bigger ones the cafe is good too. Black Park - Buckinghamshire County Council (http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/leisure-and-culture/country-parks/black-park/) Is Bekonscot Model Village too far? Bekonscot Model Village & Railway - Bekonscot Model Village and Railway (http://www.bekonscot.co.uk/) I am going to both next week weather permitting Black Park on Tues and Bekonscot on Thursday the two days I have my 4yr old! Our local big park is flooded too much I went and had a look this afternoon it has been a no go area for a couple of weeks now which is a shame because we usually go at least twice a week. I made it over to Uxbridge and back ok on Friday. I hope you had a good day today- we are off to Black Park tomorrow coincidently. Bekonscot we visit regularly but the ones I have at the moment are a bit young (and it's not cheap!).