PDA

View Full Version : First aid..opinions..

Jelly Baby
15-02-2014, 02:34 PM
Ive got an inspection looming..my first aid runs out on the 14th of March but my new one isn't until the 16th..i therefore wont be completed until the end of March..

" options..leave it and if she picks up..tell her

Speak to the woman..i know her and ask her to back me up and say im doing it sooner if she has to check (there is an earlier date but I cant make it)

panicking as it says if you haven't done it you may get satisfactory or worse..ive done this job for 10 years and would hate for that to happen..

And before anyone says why didn't you do sooner..for those who haven't seen we don't get funded anymore..we have to pay our DW a LOT of money to even get help. It has taken me a while to co-ordinate and get a course in place..not sure Ofsted will care though!

What would you do?

Ripeberry
15-02-2014, 02:44 PM
Have you had the call for the inspection?

Jelly Baby
15-02-2014, 02:49 PM
Yes I have..2 weeks to go..

AND like I couldn't have gone from fairly calm to 'panic panic' my newest parent has informed me her daughter is allergic to nuts and carries an epipen..im now looking into how I go about getting training for this..has anyone done it?
Aaahhhhhhhhh!! doesn't start for a month or so but need to know.

FloraDora
15-02-2014, 02:55 PM
The school nurse used to do the training in schools, it needs to be specific to the child, so ask mum to contact her doctors practise and ask if you can have some training. You may have to go there though .

Good luck with ofsted.

Ripeberry
15-02-2014, 02:59 PM
If the inspection is in two weeks then your first aid would still be valid. Or am I reading it wrong?

Jelly Baby
15-02-2014, 03:09 PM
The school nurse used to do the training in schools, it needs to be specific to the child, so ask mum to contact her doctors practise and ask if you can have some training. You may have to go there though .

Good luck with ofsted.

Thanks have emailed her about it.
Thanks!

Jelly Baby
15-02-2014, 03:09 PM
If the inspection is in two weeks then your first aid would still be valid. Or am I reading it wrong?

I know but if she asks when it is ill be overdue..

FussyElmo
15-02-2014, 03:15 PM
Yes the inspector could mark you down if she realises that your fist aid will run out and you have not got one booked before the expiry date.

Sorry but there is no way of softening the blow :(

tulip0803
15-02-2014, 03:19 PM
I did my Epi-pen training with the child's GP, At the time it was NCMA paperwork that I used and I got the doctor to sign the medication form to say that she had done the training with me.

Mouse
15-02-2014, 03:48 PM
What would you have done if you hadn't had an inspection looming? Would you have worked without an up to date certificate?

I would phone Oftsed on Monday and explain that you are booked on a course, but the first one you can do is very shortly after you current certificate has run out. I know of a couple of people who have done that and Ofsted have been OK about it as long as they are booked on a course.

samb
15-02-2014, 04:51 PM
How long will it be between expiry of first aid certificate and completion of course? Maybe book it off as holiday so that you are not working illegally and explain this to the inspector?

moggy
15-02-2014, 06:09 PM
I have heard of Ofsted being OK with a gap between if you have new course booked already- phone them, explain, get the name of who you speak to, document the phone call, confirm back to Ofsted in writing by email after the conversation. There is not much else you can do now anyway, unless you can find a course sooner anywhere.

Jelly Baby
15-02-2014, 06:12 PM
It will be 2 weeks inbetween the date it runs out and the date it will be done.
Cant believe my bad luck at the moment..certainly cant take 2 weeks off work...nightmare.

Jelly Baby
15-02-2014, 06:14 PM
Ill call Ofsted and explain.

The mum of the child with the epipen is a doctor, she says shes not under the impression we have to be trained and said she is happy to show me herself..does anyone know different..if I get her to sign to say shes showed me do you think this would be ok?

hectors house
15-02-2014, 06:16 PM
You will only have a gap of 2 days - yours runs out on Friday 14th and you are doing the new one on Sunday 16th so you will have started the training by Monday morning when you start work again - I understood that you had to show that you have booked to do a course. It's not as if someone completely brain washes you on the 14th and you forget everything you every learnt - for me I think that happens way before the 3 year expiry - I think it would be better to do a 4 hour refresher every year rather than a 12 hour course every 3 years!

I am in a similar situation I booked on a course for Sat 1 & 8 March as my certificate runs out on 28th March but they have e-mailed saying not enough people booked on the course so they are cancelling it and can I do it instead on
22nd & 29th and that course will definitely be going ahead - I have said that is fine but as I saw on their website that they have another course on 1st & 8th running in a different town but that it is full, can I have first refusal if someone drops out.

Jelly Baby
15-02-2014, 06:22 PM
What would you have done if you hadn't had an inspection looming? Would you have worked without an up to date certificate?

I would phone Oftsed on Monday and explain that you are booked on a course, but the first one you can do is very shortly after you current certificate has run out. I know of a couple of people who have done that and Ofsted have been OK about it as long as they are booked on a course.

Yes I'd have worked. Its not like im going to suddenly forget within the gap of having done it and doing it!

I will call them and at least log it..not a lot else I can do.

hectors house
15-02-2014, 06:27 PM
Yes I'd have worked. Its not like im going to suddenly forget within the gap of having done it and doing it!

I will call them and at least log it..not a lot else I can do.

I wouldn't bother phoning them I would just explain when they come to inspect you that you had already booked on the course before they phoned & it was the only course you could get on to and that you have refreshed your memory by reading the first aid manual you had last time, or go one better and say you read it from cover to cover every month as part of your own CPD!

Jelly Baby
17-02-2014, 09:07 AM
I wouldn't bother phoning them I would just explain when they come to inspect you that you had already booked on the course before they phoned & it was the only course you could get on to and that you have refreshed your memory by reading the first aid manual you had last time, or go one better and say you read it from cover to cover every month as part of your own CPD!

Thanks yes I agree I wont forget in that time! a refresher but be a much better ieas too. Ive spoke to all parents to cover myself and have asked them to sign to agree to me still having the children, I cant take time off work so not much else I can do!

Mouse
17-02-2014, 09:17 AM
Thanks yes I agree I wont forget in that time! a refresher but be a much better ieas too. Ive spoke to all parents to cover myself and have asked them to sign to agree to me still having the children, I cant take time off work so not much else I can do!

I'm afraid that won't cover you if a ofsted realise you are working without an up to date first aid certificate. It's not about forgetting what you know, it's about you working illegally. The rules are that you have to have an up to date certificate. Letters from parents will mean nothing at all.

I would still phone Ofsted and explain the situation to them. Much better to get it approved now than take the chance that an inspector either won't notice or will be understanding on the day.

FussyElmo
17-02-2014, 09:25 AM
Is there no way you can book on a st johns ambulance or other course before it runs out?

kellyskidz!
17-02-2014, 09:32 AM
Is there no way you can book on a st johns ambulance or other course before it runs out?

I thought this too, can't you book with another company that provides paediatric first aid courses? Then you're covered, as I'd hate to think you got marked down for something like that x

AdeleMarie88
17-02-2014, 09:37 AM
It's a requirement of registration to keep up to date first aid...I understand everything you are saying, and appreciate the overlap isn't going to make you forget anything, but you have to think worse case scenario! Even if ofsted don't query anything, what if there is an accident, parent complains, your insurance is invalid, and you risk loosing your registration. Whilst this may be a little over the top, and I hope nothing ever like this happens to any CM, you have to follow registration terms otherwise you risk a lot.

It's worth trying to find any kind of course to do before then, anything, I know how expensive they are, however that's part and parcel of the job! Xx

samb
17-02-2014, 12:18 PM
It's not about not being able to take the time off work it's about not being legal to work without a certificate. :-( I hope you get it sorted. Even taking 2 days off to do it ASAP is better than taking 2 weeks off isn't it? Good luck

Kaybeaa
17-02-2014, 12:26 PM
A Childminder friend of mine was inspected last year, the inspector noticed that the first aid was out of date by a week and wouldn't leave the house until she'd booked herself on another. She then told my friend she was unable to continue working until she'd gone on the course. This may be worst case scenario and I know that you've already booked a course but I'd definitely let Ofsted know the situation before they come. Be one step ahead xx

AdeleMarie88
17-02-2014, 12:31 PM
A Childminder friend of mine was inspected last year, the inspector noticed that the first aid was out of date by a week and wouldn't leave the house until she'd booked herself on another. She then told my friend she was unable to continue working until she'd gone on the course. This may be worst case scenario and I know that you've already booked a course but I'd definitely let Ofsted know the situation before they come. Be one step ahead xx

I think this is an excellent point, the inconsistencies of Ofsted mean that we can't say to you, it's ok, you will be fine, because actually what you are doing isn't right, I think unless you get written confirmation from Ofsted before hand, that they accept you are going on first aid, you will most likely be down graded to inadequate. Even if you tell them now, you may still get down graded. Your absolute best option is to find another first aid course xx