PDA

View Full Version : Starting out and studying level 3 too much?

natlou82
15-02-2014, 08:16 AM
Hiya I'm pre reg at the mo, just awaiting my visit! But when I start I would like to also like to do the level 3 course. I've seen the 24+ loan which would be great for me so I'm eager to get started as soon as possible. Do you think it's a good idea to start straight away or would you wait until the business is more established? Don't want to end up stressed because I've taken on too much?

Kiddleywinks
15-02-2014, 08:56 AM
I started my level 3 once I had my first parent signed up.
I think if I'd waited, I wouldn't have found the time to do it as well as working full time and running my home - I did struggle a little with time management :laughing: (still do but shh lol)

natlou82
15-02-2014, 09:04 AM
Thank you I was thinking along that line as I may not get much time when I've got more children x How long does it roughly take to complete?

Kiddleywinks
15-02-2014, 09:17 AM
It's up to you, your assessor visits/expectations, and how much free time you manage to find :laughing:

My assessor came out at least once a month, sometimes twice, so I managed to get it done in about 9 months, but I was finding it harder going towards the end due to working full time.
Some of the assignments 'double up' though which helped - information from one unit can be used in another - and I used my CYPOP5 towards it too (saved me having to do it all again)

I spent a lot of late evenings researching, which was fine for me - single parent so no partner distractions ;) and had a LO than arrived at 6am and went straight to bed till 9 or 10am, so tried to do my coursework then.

I think the aim is to have it completed within 12 or 18 months, so it's doable, but you will have to be strict with yourself :thumbsup:

natlou82
15-02-2014, 10:15 AM
Thanks for that, really helpful. Think I'm going to go for it then :) xx

Kiddleywinks
15-02-2014, 10:17 AM
Good luck :thumbsup:

shortstuff
15-02-2014, 10:20 AM
I started my level 3 6 months after starting up. I am finding it a juggle with a ds7 to think of too. But that is mostly down to motivation to be honest.

Im sure if you schedule in your study time you will be fine x

natlou82
15-02-2014, 10:55 AM
Thankyou x

WibbleWobble
15-02-2014, 11:20 AM
I started a level 4 equivalent course (E100 module with the ou) three months after starting minding. Never done any child related courses before.

4 years later I am 4 years into my six year degree!

Time flies when you are having fun!

Wibble xxx

Tulip
15-02-2014, 12:22 PM
Well done wibble wobble :)
This is a good post as I have just registered and would like to do level 3. I too also worry about taking too much on.
I'm really busy at the moment looking at the Rag rating Cpd and SEF. It looks like I might be getting my first under 5 soon as well and will need to get into the swing of EYFS and charting starting points, next steps etc then hopefully I will feel ready for level 3.
It would be handy if there was some free funding about as the new tax year starts but won't hold my breath!

The Juggler
15-02-2014, 01:02 PM
i started mine straight after doing my ICP course. I took year and half to do it as it was (back then) done in 3 stages. I'd go for it if I were you!

natlou82
15-02-2014, 04:45 PM
It's all very positive it's definately made my mind up that starting early is the right thing to do x

bunyip
16-02-2014, 05:10 PM
I didn't realise you could start level 3 immediately after registration. Our trainers wouldn't take anyone onto the course until they had at least 6 months experience in an EY setting. But that could be something to do with the funding package rather than the course entry requirements iyswim.

Having had a bit of experience, I found the course was more of a frustrating box-ticking exercise than a learning experience. I might've found it more useful if I'd been able to do it a lot earlier. :(

Emra81
16-02-2014, 05:13 PM
I thought the same as bunyip....spoke to Parenta recently and they said at least 6 months experience of eyfs, preferably more like a year so are going to get back in touch in a few months...

Mrsh3103
16-02-2014, 06:26 PM
I started mine 3 weeks after I started minding. So glad I started straight away :) I only had 1 ey child so plenty of time to study. Now I'm half way through and I'm completely full so struggling to find the time to fit it in. At least I got most of the way before I was completely run off my feet and I find that because I've already started I make the time to do it.

natlou82
16-02-2014, 06:57 PM
Who are you doing your training with?

Rick
16-02-2014, 07:08 PM
I did my Level 3, 6 months after I started and to be honest I'm glad I did because a lot of what you need to write is based on your practice and evidence you collect from working day to day. I had to wait till then anyway so I could access my LA part funding from last April (new tax year). I have literally this evening finished my last piece of coursework!

I was working full time, just had a baby (not myself of course), started my Level 3 and become a moderator on here at the same time so yes it is possible!

natlou82
16-02-2014, 07:25 PM
You've done really well to complete it so quickly x To be honest I just can't wait to get my registration done and get started, I'm so excited for this new adventure so my motivation is sky high which I think could really benefit if I started as soon as I've got my first early years child. But I can see the benefit of becoming confident in what I'm doing. Thanks for all the feedback it's really helpful x

samb
16-02-2014, 08:21 PM
There's a deal on "wowcher" at the moment - £99 instead of £274 for eyfs course level 3 from my distance learning college. Don't know anything about it but saw it when I flicking through earlier and thought it may be of help to someone.

Rick
16-02-2014, 08:24 PM
There's a deal on "wowcher" at the moment - £99 instead of £274 for eyfs course level 3 from my distance learning college. Don't know anything about it but saw it when I flicking through earlier and thought it may be of help to someone.

Is that the right one? They are normally a grand or more :confused:

samb
16-02-2014, 08:25 PM
If someone was interested I would of course suggest to look into it before just purchasing- just thought it was worth posting if anyone wanted to look into it