PDA

View Full Version : Would you let this parent visit? Just so many!!

trickiedickie
14-02-2014, 10:49 PM
Hi there,

I am sure you all remember my last few posts. Since end of Dec I have had at least 17 parent visits. Maybe 3 of these twice. The last 3 weeks I have had 3 potential parent visits a week! So eventually I must be learning and this week coming I have a repeat visit on Monday morning, a parent coming to do a settling in session and sign contract on Tuesday afternoon (though all has been quiet from her for 2 days) and another revisit on Wednesday afternoon (for May maybe August start).

I now also have a parent contact me via email wanting an August start for two children 2 days a week. She wants to visit.

Obviously I want to take on the parents who want immediate starts or at least starts within next month or two. Not ****** August. December and Jan were quite quiet but my good things have went crazy with enquiries in Feb.

How do I word reply to this parent wanting an August start. Sorry if this doesn't make sense. I really can't be bothered with her visiting her right now. Only for her plans to change etc. between now and August. A whole 6 months away!!

This is driving me nuts. Visits, people not getting back to you, other people who you don't expect to get back to you contact you. Will it ever end?? Maybe I am not cut out for this and I've not even really started. I've had one mindee 4 days a week since beg of Dec and he is lovely but can't cope with the rest of it (my mindee is my friend's wee boy so I was always going to get him).

yummyripples
15-02-2014, 12:15 AM
I would let them come but explain that you can't hold the space open until August but you will give them first refusal if someone comes along before then. So if someone comes wanting to start in May, you could contact the August to explain that if they want the space they would have to pay a retainer for holding it - if you see what I mean.
Every time you allow someone to come and visit you it is a potential advert as they may like you and pass your details on x

Kiddleywinks
15-02-2014, 08:03 AM
I just explain to parents that I am unable to take bookings more than 3 months in advance as there are too many things that can change between now and then, but would be happy to put their name and contact details on the waiting list and will contact them in May to see if they still require care, or before if all current vacancies are filled.

You do know you can charge a retainer for a contract that is confirmed/signed now, but the place isn't needed till later don't you? (I'm thinking the May start, that may be August instead)
A retainer is normally 50% of the expected fees and is unrefundable (unless you decide not to start the contract)

Bluebell
15-02-2014, 08:29 AM
hmm tricky - I tend to put people off like that on the phone - saying I've got some new starters and won't have the space in August but if things change I'll get back to them nearer the time. Or would they like to go on my waiting list?

I don't see that it's unreasonable to explain that you can't hold a space open for them and therefore there is no way you will know whether you will have a space. If you have children leaving for school in September and they can be flexible with their start date then get them booked in with a deposit paid. other than that I can see why you don't want to waste time just on the off-chance that it might result in something several months down the line!
my deposit is a 4 week payment - to hold the place and also as a guarantee for me that they won't leave with no notice. It's useful for them to know their final 4 weeks is pre-paid.

trickiedickie
15-02-2014, 01:30 PM
Thanks for advice everyone. I am just so fed up of doing 3 parent visits a week (one this morning!). I don't mind the time with the parent and child. It is the cleaning and tidying before they come that is driving me nuts. I show parents through the whole of the bottom of my house so it can take some time. I realise it is all just part of the job and I have to grin and bare it.

I have contacted the parent and said they could come Thursday if it suits. I will explain I can't guarantee a place in August. As someone said, hopefully all good advertising.

Thanks, this site is so useful. I wouldn't have a clue if you didn't all take the time to answer my 1000's of questions.

samb
15-02-2014, 04:53 PM
Maybe book the visits one after the other so that you clean up once for a few visits? You shouldn't need to spend that long cleaning up - I don't do anything I wouldn't do normally