PDA

View Full Version : New fences - tax deductable??

buzzy bee
14-02-2014, 02:39 PM
Can I put my new fence at the back of my garden (or maybe 50%) through my accounts? The old ones were rotten...

Minstrel
14-02-2014, 02:59 PM
No. They would come under home improvements.

blue bear
14-02-2014, 03:59 PM
You can repair an existing fence and claim a percentage based on how much you use the garden for business and family. You cannot claim for a new fence or total replacement.

caz3007
14-02-2014, 04:46 PM
You can repair an existing fence and claim a percentage based on how much you use the garden for business and family. You cannot claim for a new fence or total replacement.

No point in repairing our panels, they are only good for matchsticks now :laughing:

hectors house
14-02-2014, 05:00 PM
I think that if when you started childminding that you had to replace all the fences because they weren't high enough and children could have escaped or strangers could access your garden then you could put the whole cost through but any replaced panels from then on would be general wear and tear - although I like blue bears suggestion of putting through a percentage as if you didn't replace the panels your garden wouldn't be safe for the children to use. I often put through items as a percentage - if I was ever investigated by the tax department and they disagreed with my book keeping I would just have to pay it back but now the tax threshold is so high I would still be under the threshold even if they didn't agree with my creative accounting :D

gef918
15-02-2014, 04:42 PM
Our garden used to be just gravel. A few years ago, we had our garden turfed, play bark laid and new fences put up. I put it through as a percentage, since I wouldn't have had play bark if I wasn't a childminder. We also had a gate put up to stop children going down the side of the house. I put this through at full price.

Don't know if this is right or not, but my income was well below the tax threshold anyway, so I don't really care.

hectors house
15-02-2014, 06:24 PM
Our garden used to be just gravel. A few years ago, we had our garden turfed, play bark laid and new fences put up. I put it through as a percentage, since I wouldn't have had play bark if I wasn't a childminder. We also had a gate put up to stop children going down the side of the house. I put this through at full price.

Don't know if this is right or not, but my income was well below the tax threshold anyway, so I don't really care.

I'm the same as you I put through full price of play bark each year under the swing and slide - my children are grown up and left home so I wouldn't have to buy bark if I didn't childmind.

Chatterbox Childcare
16-02-2014, 01:30 AM
I'm the same as you I put through full price of play bark each year under the swing and slide - my children are grown up and left home so I wouldn't have to buy bark if I didn't childmind.

My understanding is that you can replace like for like so if anyone asks it was always bark and you are replacing it as it degrades over time