PDA

View Full Version : Up to date information

specks4
14-02-2014, 02:28 PM
Hi all I used to be in the loop and knew what was going on with childminding eg new procedures, training etc. I stopped childminding for about a year and went back to it October 2013 but I feel like I've got no one to ask questions about or find out information. Should my local childrens center be keeping me up to date with things or is it up to me as I haven't a clue who to ask or what websites to look at.
Is there suppose to be a designated person I can contact for info?
Can anyone help?

sing-low
14-02-2014, 02:33 PM
I find browsing on here keeps me up to date, more than any local support. I would recommend you have a look at the free resources tab at the top of the forum. There are checklists and loads of info to help you get back up to date.

Tulip
14-02-2014, 02:39 PM
Yep agree with singlow, this is the best place to get all your information, just ask away :)

specks4
14-02-2014, 02:43 PM
I think it's just mainly all the changes. I'm very confused about these agencies?
I've got lots of training and completed my 1st year foundation degree in early years but wanted to know if there was link to say what we need by law with regards to training, paperwork, crb etc.
We used to have a childminding development officer who was really good and always on the end of phone or email and kept us up to date and would come out to help with paperwork etc but we haven't got one now and just feel abandoned and no one around to keep us updated.

sing-low
14-02-2014, 03:15 PM
I think it's just mainly all the changes. I'm very confused about these agencies? I've got lots of training and completed my 1st year foundation degree in early years but wanted to know if there was link to say what we need by law with regards to training, paperwork, crb etc. We used to have a childminding development officer who was really good and always on the end of phone or email and kept us up to date and would come out to help with paperwork etc but we haven't got one now and just feel abandoned and no one around to keep us updated.
You are not the only one who is confused about agencies! Part of the problem is that no one will give us a straight answer as to how they will work, how they will reduce the cost of childcare, how they will answer to Ofsted and a whole variety of other things. So far, we know that they will not be compulsory. We can remain independent but again there are unanswered questions as to how much being independent will cost in terms of registering with Ofsted.

As for the legal side, I don't know what others do, but I have read through my copy of the EYFS to check that I am doing all the things that say 'must' and most, if not all, of the ones that say 'should'.

specks4
14-02-2014, 04:10 PM
Thank you sing low.

MAWI
14-02-2014, 04:19 PM
I know exactly how you feel. I'm relocated to a completley different area and also been out of childminding for about 18 months. I feel like so much has changed! The information and advice on here is brilliant and was my first port of call. I'm slowly trying to work my way through posts on here, OFSTED website and the Foundation Years website. I'm officially restarting in two weeks and looking forward to it(just not the keeping up to date and paperwork)
This forum is invaluable for me!

specks4
14-02-2014, 05:00 PM
Yes this forum is great just would like someone to talk to face to face in my area.