PDA

View Full Version : Settling in tips

alex__17
14-02-2014, 01:10 PM
I'm newly registered and have only had a baby until now who was so young when I first started minding him he wasn't bothered whether it was me or mummy cuddling him!

Today I had my first settling session with 2 new mindees aged 3 (girl) and 13 months (boy) and my own son is 18 months old. They were here just over 2 hours, and the little boy was very upset the whole time. I had been planning on going out but stayed in due to torrential rain as we would of been walking there and I'm glad I did cos I think going out might of upset him more.

I know I most probably have to carry on as normal, give him lots of cuddles and he'll settle in time, but does anyone have any tips for a new one? I want to make it as easy and happy as possible for him but he was so upset, and then my son was getting upset and I felt I couldn't give the little girl as much attention as I'd have liked to... I think it's going to be a steep learning curve for us all!

kellyskidz!
14-02-2014, 01:43 PM
I always ask Mum what their interests are, do they like trains, Peppa Pig, role play etc so you have an idea of his interests and go from there. Also maybe him bringing a toy in from home for the first few weeks may help him settle, it worked wonders for my fussy 18mo mindee, just having something familiar there that he could play with throughout the day
As you said lots of reassurance too as it must be scary for them coming into a strange house with someone they don't know suddenly looking after them
Good luck I'm sure he'll settle xx

moggy
14-02-2014, 02:22 PM
Have they had a couple of visits with Mum staying? I do that so they get to know me and my home with the reassurance of having mum there. And then the first time Mum leaves we just do 15mins, so baby sees mum comes back soon. 2nd visit we try 1hr and go from there.

If baby is happier when you hold him then a ring sling or hip seat is handy- he might just need a while in your arms to start bonding with you and get used to the new surroundings.

Sometimes getting out in the buggy can help as there are lots of distractions.