PDA

View Full Version : twiddling thumbs...

joannes
13-02-2014, 10:02 PM
so I've filled in the Ofsted form, sent it twice, had two visits from my local authority Quality Improvement Officer, done a million things to make my house as "safe" as possible, I have sorted and tidied and tidied and sorted, written all my policies, procedures, welcome packs, menu samples, started a file and done my first observation on my son, got my visitors book, fire drill log and comments book, done my First aid and safeguarding, sent off my DBS, sent off my ID check, sent my medical form to my doctor, had my husband fill in the EY2 form.... doctors rang today saying my form has been filled in can I please pop £100 in and collect it tomorrow. So I guess it's a waiting game after that. I quit teaching at Christmas, got married and am seriously hoping that it doesn't take as long as some people on here. I can't claim income based jobseekers so am having to claim contributions based jobseekers which will run out in June (so long pension pot!) but at the moment I'm just wanting to get going. I'm finding not working now and suddenly having all this spare time, coupled with naff all money and a really good sleeper for a toddler lethargy is setting in! We are going to bed later and getting up much later. lol. My QI officer said that often the whole process takes so long that they lose people because it all just loses momentum and they lose enthusiasm. I really want to get cracking before it gets to that. Also don't want to lose the one lead I've had but the lady has had no childcare except grandparents since before Christmas. Hope everyone elses is getting processed ok. it's been really useful to come on here and see how everyone's getting on and everyone's experiences of it all. think this will become my new safe haven in the evenings! :-)

natlou82
15-02-2014, 08:21 AM
When did you send your form? I sent mine along with everything else on Jan 20th and am now playing the waiting game. I also just can't wait to get started x

joannes
16-02-2014, 08:13 PM
When did you send your form? I sent mine along with everything else on Jan 20th and am now playing the waiting game. I also just can't wait to get started x

Well, I posted my original EYC form 25/1/14 but that apparently went missing in the post :-/ I emailed on the 1/2 to check but they email 3/2 saying they hadn't received it so we went straight online that night and sent the EYC and EY2 off online. I had the details to do the DBS online by the 8th and filled that in straight away, but had to wait til Wed (12th) to send the ID check to them online. Capital emailed me saying they had received it all on the 14th. the capita site has been down for maintenance all weekend so only just got on and it sayd the police checks are "in progress" I suppose I didn't send the forms off all that long ago but it definitely feels like it because of all the things you have to do before sending it! lol. I'm on a facebook group and just keep seeing really really good ideas and then feeling fed up because I can't put them into practice. Valentine's has gone, Easter and mother's Day will soon be on us, Dinosaur week on Cbeebies, and then tonnes of stuff I can't afford because I've already spent tonnes and not earning yet :-/ Want to also try and get that grant before it ends :-(

joannes
21-02-2014, 11:46 AM
Well, my DBS is on the last stage now after being stuck for a week and a half at the PNC check. Thankfully Ofsted have been busy getting their references while this has been going on so at least I won't have to wait for that. Did anyone receive confirmation of their medical declaration being received? I haven't heard anything but sent it off a week ago. Hoping it's ok! I have decided to start advertising and getting my name out there a bit, didn't want to hedge bets but I can't afford to be unpaid for sooooooooo long!!

natlou82
21-02-2014, 06:28 PM
I've had my DBS certificates for 2 weeks now, still waiting for THE PHONECALL, just want to start!!

misskft
21-02-2014, 07:35 PM
My dbs was on final stage for 13 weeks! I submitted a complaint and bingo it was completed! Im learning to pester pester and pester again with this process. Good luck xx

natlou82
22-02-2014, 02:33 PM
Think I may give them a ring this week now half terms over x Good Luck to you too x

joannes
26-02-2014, 07:57 PM
I think this waiting process is making me delirious! lol. I checked online again today thinking, it's been blimming ages at the last stage. It's been 6 days :-/ Then I looked back to see when they received it and it's only been 12 days lol. Feels like FOREVER when you're waiting on it lol. I suppose it's coz I know that then it's got to be printed and sent out to me, then sent off to Ofsted, then sat on someone's desk for a while before they come out, then have the visit then wait a while for the certificate before I can even look at minding. So all seems so far away! I've had such good ideas as well for Mothers day etc. seeing all these occasions come and go this year. frustrating! how's everyone else getting on?

natlou82
26-02-2014, 11:07 PM
I called yesterday, and my registration inspection is booked in for Tues yeah!!

joannes
26-02-2014, 11:45 PM
I called yesterday, and my registration inspection is booked in for Tues yeah!!

ooooh good luck for Tuesday!!! let us know how it goes! xx

natlou82
27-02-2014, 09:30 AM
Thank you, I've never experienced such a mixture of emotions! I'm so nervous but so excited at the same time xx the process has been so long but now I'm close to starting its crazy, partly cause I'm leaving a job I've had for 10 years to do this eek!

misskft
27-02-2014, 12:28 PM
Good luck!!

natlou82
04-03-2014, 12:18 PM
Pre reg visit over, I was so nervous beforehand, but the lady was absolutely lovely and all went really well :) just waiting for my certificate and I'm ready to go yey! How are you getting on Joanne?

joannes
04-03-2014, 09:11 PM
*sigh* no change :-/ still on the last stage of DBS. Have had an enquiry from a friend of my husbands though. Having to register for supply teaching next week though because I'm sick of being in the dole queue and treated like a incompetent leper. And I keep finding childminding-y bits to spend money on online and have no income. So pleased it went ok for you, hope the last bit hurries up for you!

natlou82
04-03-2014, 09:16 PM
It's a shame it's taking so long for you, our DBS checks were completed in a week. I hope things hurry along for you so you can get started x

BR23
05-03-2014, 09:16 AM
I sent off my eyc and ey2 in November and DBS in December. DBS all came back by end of jan. I then had to wait for social services until last week. Finally got the call last night and get my visit next Friday!! Very long process and like you I have been out of work since christmas and spent £700 now on 'bits and bobs'!
But will hopefully all be worthwhile!

Keep smiling...and waiting!

B x

joannes
06-03-2014, 09:36 PM
I think the worst bit is when you know you have no definite business lined up. so even when the DBS does come back it will most likely sit on someone's desk for a while before they come out. and even when they approve you people on here have had to wait a couple more weeks before the certificate comes through. Then will need to sort insurance out and house insurance and registering as a food business and with ICO and IR before can fully advertise everywhere with my EY number. I am excited still but want to get into a routine coz the longer it goes the harder it'll be. And I did originally tell the hubby that I'd have Jan off and be hoping to start work Feb. I'll be lucky to start by April at this rate! No fast track for early years trained teachers so it seems lol.

Nickidela
06-03-2014, 10:08 PM
I've now waited 11 months since sending my application in. I've had 4 families in contact because there are no childminders in the area with early years vacancies and the childminders I knew passed my details on. It's so frustrating this waiting game - each family I've told that yeah I'll be registered in a few months, only for it to continue dragging on. If and when I do finally get registered I bet there's no interest! I wouldn't have left my TA job in October if I'd known I'd be out of work so long - but on the plus side I haven't missed my daughters first steps and little milestones as she turned 1! :-) I hope yours speeds through quicker than mine!! X

joannes
10-03-2014, 11:07 AM
That's awful. And yes, I spent the last half term off work with work related stress. Looking back I could have not handed my notice in til Easter. Although I was determined not to go off sick when I handed my notice in. But it's cost me thousands in sick pay and instead I'm on contributions based jobseekers having to apply for 3 jobs a week and do 7 actions a week and be lined up for all sorts of ridiculous and inappropriate courses despite the fact I'm trying to get registered as a childminder. how come yours has taken 11 months though! Admittedly I handed my app in in January but local authority told me I couldn't before then as if they did come early I'd have a tonne of actions and it looks really bad on me and the local authority. So I stupidly waiting til I was a week away from doing my first aid. Doesn't help that the DBS site is constantly down for maintenance. It's been down every weekend for the last 4 weeks, went on to check today and it's down until Wednesday now. The whole things a complete cock up. Can't even do supply work without it so I'm in limbo.

joannes
16-03-2014, 12:11 AM
4 and a half weeks now :panic: think I'm cracking up. Sent my husband's (second) one off today too, bet his comes back before mine. On the plus side my living room and boys bedroom is the tidiest they've ever been lol. But today found out there's a leak under my floor tiles in the kitchen so yet another thing to pay out for/repair. Hoping it's not a massive job but it looks like its been a slow leak so could have been causing damage for a while :( bet Ofsted turn up when my kitchen floors all been pulled up lol. Swear if I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any atm. lol. On the plus side, my boy decided he wanted to do his first wee in a potty tonight lol. Random but pleased nonetheless lol. Gotta enjoy the small stuff lol.

joannes
19-03-2014, 10:11 AM
DBS site down AGAIN due to "technical issues" aaaarrrrrgggggghhhhh!!! What has perhaps annoyed me the most is I have had 4 friends this week from all over the country tell me they've probably lost it when they've changed the comp systems over coz theirs have come back in a week. I can't even view the progress of mine now. And after going back to jobcentre yesterday to tell them I have supply and childminding ready as soon as my DBS comes through, they have booked me on a 6 hour course "learning how to apply for jobs". So unbelievably fed up and demotivated right now :-( Could literally have a cry. Although next Friday I can ring Capita up and yell at them which might make me feel a bit better. I've emailed them to see if it's not been transferred onto the new computer system but they've ignored the email.

Vikki5531
19-03-2014, 10:33 AM
DBS site down AGAIN due to "technical issues" aaaarrrrrgggggghhhhh!!! What has perhaps annoyed me the most is I have had 4 friends this week from all over the country tell me they've probably lost it when they've changed the comp systems over coz theirs have come back in a week. I can't even view the progress of mine now. And after going back to jobcentre yesterday to tell them I have supply and childminding ready as soon as my DBS comes through, they have booked me on a 6 hour course "learning how to apply for jobs". So unbelievably fed up and demotivated right now :-( Could literally have a cry. Although next Friday I can ring Capita up and yell at them which might make me feel a bit better. I've emailed them to see if it's not been transferred onto the new computer system but they've ignored the email.

Hi,

My Partners is the same. I can track mine with no problem, but when we try his, it says they are having some technical issues.

He has just rang the DBS helpline, and they have advised him that since they have moved systems, some people are unable to log on.

However, she did confirm that his application is exactly where it should be and it has been with the Police for 12 days and he should expect it complete by next week.

I hope you get it back soon xx

joannes
19-03-2014, 06:01 PM
That sounds a bit more helpful than me. Out of sheer frustration and paranoia I rang up to see what on Earth's happening to it. They said it isn't lost, it's with the police and has been for 4 weeks so should be done soon "hopefully". They said a small percentage take much longer but they can't get involved until they've had it over 70 days which is another month away. So frustrating! I have now also lost my business lead who has had to go elsewhere with her waiting 3 months for me. She was very apologetic but I totally understand. I also can't do my supply teaching without it so it's costing me up to £115 a day when I could be working. To top it off my washing machine has been leaking, unbeknownst to us and so I've had to take all my kitchen tiles up and bin them. I'm so sick of hearing myself winge at the moment lol. CRB's used to be miles easier! I've had tonnes of them for every job, placement or training lol. None of them ever took this long or cost as much. There will be some serious celebration when it finally comes through lol.

natlou82
19-03-2014, 06:27 PM
Bless you babe, feeling so sorry for you xxx I hope everything moves fast for you soon xxx

joannes
27-03-2014, 01:01 PM
6 weeks now..... having a mini meltdown. Husband is not helping one bit and is guilt tripping me for still not working. The fact we've had a flooded kitchen and now car trouble has not helped one bit, nor has him been in hospital for an evening and having to have a week unpaid off work. Feeling so fed up and totally demotivated with it all. My husband's DBS, despite being sent off 5 weeks later is stuck at the same stage as mine. Keep thinking I should be doing more to prepare for when it does come through but think I've done everything I can for now :-/ still twiddling thumbs....

natlou82
27-03-2014, 05:26 PM
My goodness, I can't believe how long the process is taking for you :( xx you are definately due some good luck now, hugs xxx

joannes
27-03-2014, 06:41 PM
Thank you, I am ringing tomorrow as it will be over 6 weeks and then I will just keep ringing until it's done. Hopefully they'll think its less hassle to chase it than to put up with me. lol.

natlou82
27-03-2014, 07:06 PM
It's definitely gone past the point of ridiculous!!

joannes
28-03-2014, 12:04 PM
Have rung them today, still on last stage. I asked if there was a significant hold up on the last stage atm as so many people seem to be stuck on this last stage and she said that it is taking a long time because of staff shortages at the police but it is usually taking nearer to the 6 week mark. I did say that tomorrow I will be OVER the 6 week mark. She said to ring back next week if I still hadn't heard anything but they can't chase them until the police have had it 60 days (they've had mine 36 days) and then they have to give them 10 working days to respond (so another two weeks) so it could be another 7 weeks yet. And that's before we even get to Ofsted. I did tell the lady that by the time it shows up I will have probably had my house repossessed and starved to death and sold my son by then but it didn't speed it up any (was of course joking but if I don't laugh I cry atm) I am not normally an impatient person but I just don't get how one persons can take a week and another three months with similar circumstances :-/ the mind boggles at the bureaucracy in this country.

Nickidela
28-03-2014, 01:33 PM
I can honestly sympathise - people on my course were registered within 3 months of doing the course - but no not me! Sorry I didn't see this to respond sooner, but my 11 months has now turned into exactly a year since I sent my application to ofsted and I got the go ahead 2 days ago - yay!! I wish I'd have set the ball rolling sooner - being out of work for a few months has really hit hard! I'll have my certificate next week - I can't tell you how happy I am - the same will happen for you, I know it's awful trying to make ends meet when you're relying on someone else but it will happen.

My application was actually held up because of a false allegation in my husbands past so I do understand why mine has taken so long now, but ofsted kept us in the dark for a long time while they were making their own investigation into it - my husband knew nothing about any of this as he was never questioned, it was dropped at the time for being false (a long time before I met him) but obviously the record still exists. I would expect them to investigate where children are involved but when they get a report from both the police and social services stating that the allegation is false I think maybe ofsted should take note of this. Your application won't obviously have the same sort of hold up as me, I just hope it all goes through really quickly for you to take the pressure off!
Good luck. X

Steveh
28-03-2014, 02:00 PM
Subbed,

GL with it.

I am a College Lecturer who is looking to go down this route, I guess you would advise to do this whilst still at work, I have an option to go sessional though so that maybe a good compromise.

Regards

Steve

joannes
28-03-2014, 02:17 PM
Yeah as you said you don't mind so much if they inform you to let you know what the hold up is because it might be something really simple to sort out. Can't believe yours took so long. Makes me so cross that they know people's livelihoods depend on these checks. So much for the government wanting to get more people into work, I'd have been there months ago if it wasn't for this palaver. I saved to cushion us through January and most of Feb but it is getting tight now. We got married at Christmas and delayed honeymoon til August (which is pretty much paid for) but I will have no spending money. I know its a luxury but its a once in a lifetime trip, we deferred so we could save up to do everything we wanted as I didn't want to come back thinking "I wish I'd done x but I didn't have a spare £50/£100" now despite deferring it for 8 months it looks like that is what it will come to as all money will be spent on the essentials. Also wasn't expecting husband to be on sick or my kitchen to flood or the car to break. I have a special bottle of wine in for when that bl00dy online tracker moves itself from "in progress" to "completed on....". lol.

misskft
28-03-2014, 08:21 PM
I hear you. Mine and my partners took 13 weeks to come back. After the police had it 60 days I rang the force who held it every day and ofsted until itvwas completed. Drove myself crazy but got there. Hang in there hun xx

joannes
28-03-2014, 11:36 PM
Was it your local police force misskft? It doesn't give you any info whatsoever on the tracker site, it might as well not be there, in fact I'm sure they've just put it there as a form of frustration-inducing rage maker. They might as well just put a sign up on the site that says "nope!" everytime you log on. Or just has a link to the local jobcentre lol.

misskft
29-03-2014, 07:50 AM
Hi Joannes it was not my local station but the county wide place that held it. I rang and rang and rang same with ofsted. They wouldnt tell me anything until police had held it 90 days then ofsted told me which force to call. I also lodged a complaint to see if that would help shift things. Like you all this time I wasnt earning.

joannes
04-04-2014, 04:57 PM
Rang again today, don't know why they told me to ring back as I just got the same message; still with police, can't chase them for another 14 days then they have 2 weeks to respond. They also "don't know" who it's with so I can't chase it myself and they won't know who it's with until the 60 day window (funny that), and even if I did manage to get the details and ring they'd "probably just refer you back to the DBS". Arrrghhh! Any question or comment I made the phony lady just had said in an overly cheery way "okay then! Is there anything else I can help you with?!" no, because you haven't helped me one bit with the one thing I rang about :-/ I have emailed Ofsted basically enquiring as to why I can't even have the pre-reg inspection on my current DBS and forward my updated one before I start minding. Seems such a backwards way of doing it as even when I get it I could be put back weeks before I start work.

joannes
11-04-2014, 11:01 AM
Well after 5 phonecalls, 9 weeks and lots of tears and frustration (and a very conservative 3 checks yesterday) my certificate is FINALLY in the process of being printed!!!! Hurrah!! I honestly thought it would go another 11 days and then have to chase the police force. Sooooo.... I will be able to at least to do supply work after Easter. My husband's DBS is 4 weeks behind with them not accepting his current one so I'm really hoping it doesn't take another 4 weeks to get his back, although I assume it will. Then I will actually be looking forward to getting Ofsted round (one and only time I'll ever say that lol). I find it really bizarre that it came on the day that I went a bit mental at DBS (the things it drives you to lol), the day before I had to attend a "learning to apply for jobs" course courtesy of jobcentre (despite me explaining I am just waiting on two start dates and have no childcare- I turned up with my son today and was understandably turned away with pertemps visibly frustrated at the pig-arsing around of jobcentre) and also when I got my first proper customer enquiry! I have put a sign up in my window saying that my childminding business will be opening soon and a lady a few doors away has enquired about a day and a half a week!!! So excited I could cry. Would love full timers but beggers can't be choosers and it is handy being so close. She's a teacher and as I'm also offering term time only places it could lead to more business. My other unofficial lead is my husbands friend who is "seriously considering" using my services but not sure what days/how many yet. Might actually get a couple of months wages in before my belated honeymoon yet! lol. It's silly because I'm not quite there yet but I feel like a massive weight has been lifted off my shoulders after being grounded for so long (friends telling me theirs came in 5 days wasn't really helping me much either lol). It was really starting to get me quite down and I was beginning to think I'd made a huge mistake giving up a reliable teaching income. Now I'm excited again! :-)

natlou82
11-04-2014, 12:22 PM
Brilliant news, I'm so happy for you xx

Vikki5531
11-04-2014, 12:31 PM
Well after 5 phonecalls, 9 weeks and lots of tears and frustration (and a very conservative 3 checks yesterday) my certificate is FINALLY in the process of being printed!!!! Hurrah!! I honestly thought it would go another 11 days and then have to chase the police force. Sooooo.... I will be able to at least to do supply work after Easter. My husband's DBS is 4 weeks behind with them not accepting his current one so I'm really hoping it doesn't take another 4 weeks to get his back, although I assume it will. Then I will actually be looking forward to getting Ofsted round (one and only time I'll ever say that lol). I find it really bizarre that it came on the day that I went a bit mental at DBS (the things it drives you to lol), the day before I had to attend a "learning to apply for jobs" course courtesy of jobcentre (despite me explaining I am just waiting on two start dates and have no childcare- I turned up with my son today and was understandably turned away with pertemps visibly frustrated at the pig-arsing around of jobcentre) and also when I got my first proper customer enquiry! I have put a sign up in my window saying that my childminding business will be opening soon and a lady a few doors away has enquired about a day and a half a week!!! So excited I could cry. Would love full timers but beggers can't be choosers and it is handy being so close. She's a teacher and as I'm also offering term time only places it could lead to more business. My other unofficial lead is my husbands friend who is "seriously considering" using my services but not sure what days/how many yet. Might actually get a couple of months wages in before my belated honeymoon yet! lol. It's silly because I'm not quite there yet but I feel like a massive weight has been lifted off my shoulders after being grounded for so long (friends telling me theirs came in 5 days wasn't really helping me much either lol). It was really starting to get me quite down and I was beginning to think I'd made a huge mistake giving up a reliable teaching income. Now I'm excited again! :-)

Woohoo! I'm really pleased for you! You deserve a large glass of wine tonight xx

joannes
11-04-2014, 05:23 PM
Woohoo! I'm really pleased for you! You deserve a large glass of wine tonight xx

lol had one last night at 11pm haha. I went to my "learning to apply for jobs" course today as well... with my son in his buggy. Was promptly turned away but the centre said it was a common occurrence with the job centre sending people who don't need the course or can't do the course just to tick boxes and make up numbers of referrals. Can't wait to come off it completely, it's a horrible demoralising place full of people who don't listen at all. Have been 3 times in my life and this has been easily the worst. Hopefully things will start to look up and husband's DBS won't take too much longer. Good luck to anyone else still waiting, although from what Capita said Humberside Police Force is the slowest and most under-resourced of them all so I'm sure everyone else's will be much quicker.

joannes
26-04-2014, 12:32 PM
Just thought I'd update!..... After 9 and a half weeks I FINALLY got my DBS through. On Thursday nights husband's went off for printing after 9 weeks. I rang Ofsted yesterday who told me they had just received the message too so someone will be ringing me next week to arrange a visit. Thank GOD!!! Although I have lost two customer leads in the time it's taken and have no one lined up til September now but at least I'll be able to legally advertise. Which is just as well as I have no money after laying out for a flooded kitchen, rotted decking, losing a weeks wages while hubby was in hospital, having a broken computer, broken car and then smashing my windscreen :-/ It's been an expensive start to my "exciting, fresh start new year". Things can only get better eh? Just can't wait to have my certificate in my hands. I can see the finishing line now haha. (Hysteria IS setting in lol):rolleyes::laughing::clapping::jump for joy:

Vikki5531
26-04-2014, 12:42 PM
Just thought I'd update!..... After 9 and a half weeks I FINALLY got my DBS through. On Thursday nights husband's went off for printing after 9 weeks. I rang Ofsted yesterday who told me they had just received the message too so someone will be ringing me next week to arrange a visit. Thank GOD!!! Although I have lost two customer leads in the time it's taken and have no one lined up til September now but at least I'll be able to legally advertise. Which is just as well as I have no money after laying out for a flooded kitchen, rotted decking, losing a weeks wages while hubby was in hospital, having a broken computer, broken car and then smashing my windscreen :-/ It's been an expensive start to my "exciting, fresh start new year". Things can only get better eh? Just can't wait to have my certificate in my hands. I can see the finishing line now haha. (Hysteria IS setting in lol):rolleyes::laughing::clapping::jump for joy:

That is brilliant news! You really deserve it after all the bad luck you've had. Let us know when your visit is arranged for xx

natlou82
26-04-2014, 07:48 PM

Oh Joanne I'm soooo pleased for you it has been such a nightmare for you. Things can certainly only get better! Keep us informed x

joannes
26-04-2014, 10:09 PM
definitely! Onwards and upwards lol. Sooooo close to the end now! Then will be panicking over having no children to mind lol. Going to visit the local schools this week and introduce myself, give receptionist some cards etc. and also going to email the local high schools etc. as I'm offering term time only places too which may appeal to support staff and teachers. Hope everyone else is finally getting sorted :-)

natlou82
27-04-2014, 07:12 AM
I got gold membership on childcare.co.uk and signed 2 parents in 2 days! I message any parents that I think will be a good fit. I initially thought I'd start out with my niece and nephew and go from there, they haven't even started yet and I've already got 4 boys before and after school x

joannes
27-04-2014, 11:09 PM
Thanks hun, I'm going to get the gold membership once my certificate comes in the post. I have an ad on there and it has my contact details on and a parent has contacted me today wanting 3 days which would be fab but I'm not sure what the rules are on the free hours. Have posted on here about it so hopefully someone could give me some good news (fingers crossed- I've had enough brick walls lol)

natlou82
28-04-2014, 10:29 AM
I thought you had to have a grading of good. I think the rules are different in each LA. I'm not entirely sure though x

joannes
28-04-2014, 12:35 PM
My LA have said that as newly registered cm's have recently been visited by Ofsted, done the training etc they can have funding until the first inspection where it will be reassessed I think. After all this I've gone and pulled a right classic though- missed the deadline to join the DBS update service by 2 days :-/ how can they do everything else by "working days" but then when it comes to giving you time it's calendar days all of a sudden. so cross at myself :-/

joannes
28-04-2014, 02:59 PM
I've seen people on here posting that they had to chase Ofsted for the inspection- I've rung Ofsted twice now and they've said it's been passed on to the inspection team, Tribal. Did people contact Tribal directly or just keep ringing the main Ofsted number to pester? :-/

natlou82
28-04-2014, 04:42 PM
What is the DBS update service?!? Eek have I missed something? I contacted ofsted, they gave me prospects details once it had been passed on for inspection. I then told them I had a family waiting for me and that I had to give my notice at work. I heard from the inspector the same afternoon.

joannes
29-04-2014, 12:05 PM
You can pay £13 a year to keep your DBS certificate current and anyone can access that so you dont need to do a new one for each job etc. However you only have two weeks from the date of issue to apply for it. At least that was how it was when I applied for it, but now you can subscribe to the update service with your application number BEFORE you get the certificate. So they see that as no excuse for applying late. Even though they've introduced that recently (I wasn't aware before I tried to subscribe yesterday). I have no idea if its gone through, they took my payment details and said they'd send a confirmation email but I've had no emails from them so going to ring today. The site itself has had issues the last couple of days (or my internet provider doesnt like it one of the two) because I was struggling to get to the payment page :-/ Don't think they make it very clear. And Ofsted haven't passed tribal's details to me (or whoever it is), I googled the nearest office and rang them and they said they dont deal with inspections but she'll email the centre that does. Still no phonecall.

natlou82
29-04-2014, 04:23 PM
I wasn't aware of the DBS renewal, so it looks like I've missed the boat there :( never mind x hopefully you ll get your phonecall soon, you've waited long enough!

joannes
29-04-2014, 06:01 PM
Well rang dbs and apparently it's gone through ok so at least that's one less stress coz otherwise I'd need to buy another obe for supply. Still no ofsted call though :-( x

joannes
30-04-2014, 08:01 PM
Still no call......... :panic: typical of me for the FINAL stage to take flipping ages as well. just need the visit and certificate!!!! Grrrrr. 34 weeks since I applied to do the local authority course :-/

LizP
30-04-2014, 09:46 PM
I applied for hubby's DBS on 1 Feb! It finally went to print today.. What a stressful time! I'm wanting to be minding in August so hoping to get a call as soon as I've applied but I'm not holding out! Ofsted do say they aim to register in 12 weeks though x

katie7277
30-04-2014, 10:26 PM
Hi,I am new here but have been reading some post for awhile....thanks for a good tips generally;)
I just wanted to say that my whole application process took nearly a year-long time...had my pre reg visit just before Easter,yeah. ..
I kept calling and asking Ofsted,they gave me number to Inspection team and I called them directly.They were super nice and I had an Inspection within few days of calling them,hope that helps...good luck;)

natlou82
01-05-2014, 05:11 AM
Did Ofsted say that your details have been passed to tribal for inspection? They have a time limit I believe 20 days. That is from receiving your details and getting the inspection details back to Ofsted. That was what I was told by Prospects.

natlou82
01-05-2014, 05:13 AM
I've just re looked at one of your posts and seen that you said it had been passed on. So you should be within the 20 day time frame now :-)

LizP
01-05-2014, 12:42 PM
20 days from when you apply to when they do your first pre registration visit? X

natlou82
01-05-2014, 12:44 PM
No, 20 days from your details being passed to an inspector to certificate being generated, that's what I was told anyway x

joannes
01-05-2014, 01:10 PM
Just my luck! Rang ofsted to check and apparently my inspection request wasn't sent off until Tuesday! This is despite telling me on Friday morning that everything had come back and it had now been sent off. So another half week added on arrrghhh!

joannes
01-05-2014, 04:06 PM
Oh and she said they have 4 weeks from receiving it. So again contradictory information if you've been told 20 days and I've been told 28 days :-/ Why does nobody seem to know anything in that place???? Raaaaaarrrrrr *rant rant rant*

natlou82
01-05-2014, 05:57 PM
Chase, chase, chase xx

joannes
02-05-2014, 10:10 AM
they wont give me the details of tribal. I googled them and found a number for the hessle branch which is our nearest. I rang and they said they dont deal with inspections and she asked if I'd been called by them (she seemed a bit put out that I'd rang) but said she'd send an email through and took my email address despite me asking if she had a number for the right department. She just kept saying "well have you not received a phone call from them, as I understand it they contact you". (It's blimming Tribal not the CIA) I found an email address online for the early years team at tribal and emailed it but have had no reply. They sure don't wanna make it easy.

joannes
07-05-2014, 12:33 PM
the plot thickens......
after still not hearing from them and a member of this forum very kindly passing on Tribal's contact details I rang them today to confirm they had my details (and nudge a bit!) as I said there'd been confusion at Ofsted about whether or not my file went off a week last Friday or Tuesday (or not at all!),the lady said they had no record of it :panic:just at the point where I started hyperventilating and round about the 3rd impression I did of Victor Meldrew in as many breaths she said "can I just check your address? As from your accent I don't actually think we cover your area" Now I KNOW for a fact Ofsted checked my address last Wed and told me my case was with Tribal as until then I was blissfully unaware of either of the companies carrying out inspections (until I then came on here and ranted!! lol). The lady said she'd had this a couple of times and would find me prospects number.

I then rang prospects who DID have my details (HURRAH!!) but that they'd only received them two bleeping days ago!!!! :angry: so I said, "what? On bank holiday Monday?" and she said, "hmmm, yes it must have been doesn't usually come through on weekends etc." but that they now have a completion date of 27th May.

I have not a clue how Ofsted are managing to function at the moment. Outsourcing was supposed to make operations more efficient and simpler- hmmmm. Juries out on that one. I will be buying WINE tonight :censored:

natlou82
07-05-2014, 08:06 PM
OMG I can't believe this! But the positive is that there's an official end date x

LizP
07-05-2014, 09:25 PM
Joanne's- when you say completion date, what for? Ofsted to visit or register you? Xx

joannes
07-05-2014, 11:37 PM
For Prospects to ring, arrange visit, conduct visit and write report and turn it back over to Ofsted for approval. THEN I'll have to wait for certificate to come through before I can finally start providing these poor parents with childcare, tell jobseekers where to go with their condescending courses and finally start clearing some of my bills and mortgage :-/ Just sucks when you never get a coheraent or consistent answer from anybody. I'm now writing off May for earning anything. Which means more than likely I will get around 8-10 weeks of part time earnings in before my honeymoon at the end of August which at least means that while I will have no spending money and be able to do sweet F A on my once in a lifetime trip, at least I "shouldn't" be in debt or have bills to come back to.

LizP
08-05-2014, 04:50 PM
I can't believe how long it takes, I waited 3 months for hubby's DBS so just wait for the call now! I want to be minding in Aug x

joannes
08-05-2014, 06:39 PM
I wanted to be minding by February. How deluded was I?? :-/ the worst thing is if it takes a couple of weeks for my certificate to come through then it could be mid June before I even get any payment. Sooooo skint. No call today although Environmental Health called (I missed the call and then when I called back they were out) so at least I should get that inspection in the next week or two. Totally forgot that had to be done 28 days before business open. Been soooo focused on my DBS and Ofsted lol.

LizP
09-05-2014, 02:14 PM
Gosh! Well I hope you get the call soon! X

wee_elf
12-05-2014, 04:54 PM
it sounds like you have had a awful time :(, hopefully it wont be much longer :)

joannes
13-05-2014, 08:33 PM
still nothing..... :panic: have had a parent look round today though and another tomorrow. Also had meeting with enterprise committee about the New Enterprise Allowance and going to proceed with that. So lots of paperwork for that to keep me busy. Still no phonecall from environmental health who left me one message last wed to get in touch and haven't been contactable since :-/ my phone bill will be huge this month. *sigh*

joannes
19-05-2014, 10:08 PM
HURRAH! I'm back!!! After spending what has felt like an eternity offline with TWO broken computers (and finally a loan to buy a brand new one) I can now communicate with the outside world and..... have had THE CALL! They rang on Thursday and are coming this Thursday!!!!! :clapping::laughing:;):):o:jump for joy: I'll be honest at times I thought it might never happen and I'm not altogether too sure what first impression I've given as when the inspector said "I understand you've been waiting quite a while for your inspection" my response was to laugh hysterically like a loon (not sure if she appreciated my humour lol) So all action stations now (although having said that with 5 months to prepare I've basically sat around playing with my son in the garden for the last two days) will be sitting down with a bottle of wine tomorrow and wednesday to revisit all my paperwork. Environmental health also called and are coming in two weeks. Seeing a light at the end of the tunnel!!! xx

Bumble Beez
20-05-2014, 04:37 AM
Awesome news :D
Good luck for your visit and keep us updated...well done you for being so patient!!

Sarah x

LizP
20-05-2014, 05:13 AM
This is great news, well done!

I sent my health dec book last week and paid the invoice so just waiting for the call xx

natlou82
20-05-2014, 05:24 AM
Thank goodness, good luck xxx

Vikki5531
20-05-2014, 08:51 AM
That's fantastic news! I'm sooo jealous! Good luck for Thursday and let us know how it goes xx