PDA

View Full Version : First enquiry!

dolly1985
13-02-2014, 11:30 AM
Yay i had my first enquiry today via my website!! But the mother doesn't need childcare until September so I said i would contact her early August-is this what you guys would have done??

I am still waiting for my certificate - been waiting just over a week. I have a website and am on childcare.co.uk but am waiting until I have my certificate until i distribute my leaflets to my local community!

hectors house
13-02-2014, 04:11 PM
I would be careful booking children in so far in advance, unless it is for a school aged child when you are just starting out - what if you get several more enquiries that takes you up to your maximum of 3 under 5? You will be losing out on months worth of wages. I would phone the mum and explain that you will contact her again at the start of July and to let her know if you still have a space, at this point she can come round, do the paperwork - contracts etc and pay a deposit to guarantee the place and to arrange settling in sessions.

Admittedly I am now getting enquiries for Aug & Sept but that suits me as I don't have any spaces until the 4 years are in school full time, I would only keep a space open for 2+ months if it was for a sibling baby. If when you speak to his lady again in July and she does want the space you could then ask for a retainer as well as a deposit.

How many hours / days a week is this enquiry for as it may make things complicated trying to plan other vacancies round just a few odd days?

kellyskidz!
13-02-2014, 04:45 PM
I would be careful booking children in so far in advance, unless it is for a school aged child when you are just starting out - what if you get several more enquiries that takes you up to your maximum of 3 under 5? You will be losing out on months worth of wages. I would phone the mum and explain that you will contact her again at the start of July and to let her know if you still have a space, at this point she can come round, do the paperwork - contracts etc and pay a deposit to guarantee the place and to arrange settling in sessions.

Admittedly I am now getting enquiries for Aug & Sept but that suits me as I don't have any spaces until the 4 years are in school full time, I would only keep a space open for 2+ months if it was for a sibling baby. If when you speak to his lady again in July and she does want the space you could then ask for a retainer as well as a deposit.

How many hours / days a week is this enquiry for as it may make things complicated trying to plan other vacancies round just a few odd days?

Agreed, I would also not have promised anything that far away. I'd speak to Mum again and say because it is so far away she can either pay a deposit to secure the place or call back nearer to September so you're not turning away business holding out for her, when there's no guarantee she'll take the place.
Don't think were putting a downer on this, its great you already have enquiries already but I wouldn't like to think you've held out until Sept for this lady and turned families away then she doesn't take the place up and you've lost out xx

dolly1985
13-02-2014, 06:58 PM
Thanks for your replies! I didnt want to hold out just for her- I'll see what i can get in the mean time!!