PDA

View Full Version : please advise....

Clare9
06-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Hi i'm back, just to let you all know, i was contacted over xmas to say i'd been chosen from the short list to look after a little boy! but i would like advice, as he is only 9 months, what records is it advisable to keep ie sleep checking every 15 mins, journal for food and nappy changes, i don;t want to go over the top but i need all bases covered. I've been asked to make bottles, which i;ve asked the mum to sign permission for detailing how many ounces how many bottles etc....

It's all new to me although i have two children of my own, this is totally different experience.

I've just got the nod for another child one day a week! it;s going to be a busy time .....

I'd also like to thank everyone for being so welcoming,

thanks

Clare9

LittleMissSparkles
06-01-2008, 09:15 PM
Hi i'm back, just to let you all know, i was contacted over xmas to say i'd been chosen from the short list to look after a little boy! shortlist ????but i would like advice, as he is only 9 months, what records is it advisable to keep ie sleep checking every 15 mins, journal for food and nappy changes, i don;t want to go over the top but i need all bases covered. i keep a daily diary for the little ones detailing what they have ate/drank nappy changes, sleeps etc what they have done any other info i think parents should knowI've been asked to make bottles, which i;ve asked the mum to sign permission for detailing how many ounces how many bottles etc.... i would not make bottles up my parents have to bring them ready made with the baby for the day, its up to you of course but will you have time to make up and sterilise bottles honey i know i wouldnt ...

It's all new to me although i have two children of my own, this is totally different experience.

I've just got the nod for another child one day a week! it;s going to be a busy time .....

I'd also like to thank everyone for being so welcoming,

thanks

Clare9

glad things are picking up clare

sarah707
06-01-2008, 09:24 PM
Same as Susan - I don't make up bottles as I don't want to risk not sterilising properly - that bit is down to parents. I will finger feed once they're old enough, but until then expect everything supplied. I keep a record of what they eat, drink, nappy changes, sleep monitoring etc... in a diary - which is a school notebook, filled in varying lengths depending on how busy I am!!

Ofsted biggie for EYFS is to get parents to feed back... so start as you mean to go on and encourage comments.

Good luck x

Clare9
06-01-2008, 09:30 PM
I think i may have made the wrong move with the bottles, mum was quite strong willed on this subject, i did suggest her making them with the other bottles as she would normally, then bringing them to me but she preferred this method as her previous child-minder had provided this service,

how obvious is it i;m new to this business, i wanted to please and to get the mindee!!!

il learn........

Thanks for your advise.

Clare

manjay
06-01-2008, 09:32 PM
What is OFSTEDs take on guidelines for milk not to be made in advance?

amanda xx

angeldelight
06-01-2008, 09:36 PM
I do not know what Ofsteds guildlines are but I started a thread in the old forum about baby bottles not sure if you remember - I will try and find it

I know at my daughters nursery they do make up bottles and some parents supply them already made Ofsted are happy wtih both ways- they recently were inspected

I think it dependes on the childminder and the parent to be honest whatever suits you both ??

I agree with everyone else though Clare and good luck with baby

Angel

LittleMissSparkles
06-01-2008, 09:38 PM
I think i may have made the wrong move with the bottles, mum was quite strong willed on this subject, i did suggest her making them with the other bottles as she would normally, then bringing them to me but she preferred this method as her previous child-minder had provided this service,

how obvious is it i;m new to this business, i wanted to please and to get the mindee!!!

il learn........

Thanks for your advise.

Clare

you need to set your own rules babe not take on what other minders do or dont do or what parents want, you offer your services that you provide and if its not what they are looking for they can look else where, i know you keen to get mindees but you are your own boss not the parents iyswim xxx

manjay
06-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Had to find this document for my Inspector after we had this discussion. So although not recommended to use ready prepared bottles it does allow in certain circumstances - childminders being one of them.

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Policyandguidance/Healthandsocialcaretopics/Maternalandinfantnutrition/DH_4123674

amanda xx

angeldelight
06-01-2008, 09:52 PM
Thanks for that Amanda

Angel xx

Rubybubbles
06-01-2008, 11:21 PM
I half prepare babies bottles!!??!!

Mum brings me the bottle with the amount of water in , then at 3pm ish when baby due baby I warm the water up then put in amount of formula required. Mums are now being told to make bottles up this way, not storeing them like I did ready made in the fridge then making them up:rolleyes: ! But it is up to you, I don't have a problem with this. My NVQ lady watched me 'prepare a feed' recently and said this is becoming more common practise, the only thing to me would be if was unsure the bottle had been sterlised ect, but that comes with trust in the parent (does that sound horrid to say!!)

Polly2
07-01-2008, 11:23 AM
I do the same as Ruby!

My inspector had no probs with this x

Schnakes
07-01-2008, 03:22 PM
When I went on a Food Policy course recently we were told to make the bottles up fresh each time (which is what I was doing anyway). Under the "Suitable premesis, environment and equipment" section of the EYFS framework guidelines, it states that "Suitable sterilisation equipment is used for the steralisation of babies feeding equipment and dummies".
I dont know how you can say an absolute yes to that if you arent making up the bottles yourself? Although it is a bit vague!!!

On my food policy I ask parents to bring their formula milk in powder form. Ends all arguments that way!

Sx

Spangles
07-01-2008, 03:30 PM
I'm not keen on having to buy a sterilising thing again so I was thinking of asking parents to bring them ready made but I'm sure I read somewhere that they don't advise you to do this now. I think they advise that the water has to have been boiled within so many minutes before putting the powder in because the powder itself isn't sterilised?

Is that right or did I dream it?

I used to make Benjamin's up in the morning for the day after I stopped breastfeeding and he was always okay but maybe that was just luck!

fionamal
07-01-2008, 06:01 PM
My mums brought the bottles filled with the cooled water in them and then a little tub thats had 6 sections in it with the formula so you just had to turn the open topped part to the filled section and tip it into the bottle. Each section had the exact amount of formula in it so its was really easy to use.

manjay
07-01-2008, 06:10 PM
I'm not keen on having to buy a sterilising thing again so I was thinking of asking parents to bring them ready made but I'm sure I read somewhere that they don't advise you to do this now. I think they advise that the water has to have been boiled within so many minutes before putting the powder in because the powder itself isn't sterilised?

Is that right or did I dream it?

I used to make Benjamin's up in the morning for the day after I stopped breastfeeding and he was always okay but maybe that was just luck!

If you have a look at the link I posted Lorri it gives the current government guidelines on making up feeds. Feeds should now be made up as and when required but it gives exceptions and guidelines for when this is not possible - childminding being one of them

amanda xx

deeb66
08-01-2008, 08:42 PM
The problem with making up feeds as you need them is the heat of the water!!!!

They are now stating that the milk in it's powdered form could contain bacteria so are advising that you should be heating the water back to boiling point before adding the milk so that the bacteria is killed off.

Schnakes
09-01-2008, 09:13 AM
What I usually do is make up the bottle, pop it in the freezer, do a nice long nappy change (or whatever..give lunch..etc) and then give them the cooled bottle. I think the key is anticipating the need for a bottle so you are ready prepared!!!

I personally didnt do steralisation for my own two after 6 months and they are perfectly fine. It makes me wonder how the human race survived at all sometimes...back in the stone ages when they didnt have all this steralisation and safety equipment!!! :p

Sx

son77
09-01-2008, 01:59 PM
For the baby I mind mum brings the ready made cartons, that way there is no making up of formula, the wrong amount can't be added or no worries about how hot water is etc etc!!

I keep bottle here & sterilse in milton. Easy peasy!

deeb66
09-01-2008, 02:08 PM
For the baby I mind mum brings the ready made cartons, that way there is no making up of formula, the wrong amount can't be added or no worries about how hot water is etc etc!!

I keep bottle here & sterilse in milton. Easy peasy!

Excellent solution to the problem - well done