PDA

View Full Version : What are the positives and negatives?

Bluebell
11-02-2014, 10:04 PM
Just curious as what people find are the positives and negatives of childminding?

For me the positive of the job is having the children so happy and settled - we have such a great time and do so many amazing things!

The negative about the job is my house is a mess, I can't be bothered to tidy it up but know I will have to in the morning for people to come and the place is overflowing with car seats, highchairs, pushchairs! Groan This is the main reason I am thinking of leaving - its taking over!

For my family the positive is being there for my children and being flexible, the negative is its not always possible to attend school events with so many kids in tow! And my kids don't get any individual time and attention. I've noticed it more as they've got older - they take themselves upstairs out the way so can play quietly. I feel like my time is eaten away by the childminding - such long days and very little holidays!

For others who also feel like this, or have felt like this - what do you do to combat it? Any tips? (Apart from move to a bigger house - that one is off the cards)

green4lynn
11-02-2014, 11:02 PM
I'm similar to you in that I hate being over-run with pushchairs, car seats etc and toys that my teenagers don't need! I hate the paperwork and can't seem to keep on top of it. I get annoyed if my hubby comes home early and I can tell he's tutting at the mess! Useless parents who send their kids in inadequate clothing for the weather, or rubbish in their packed lunches, and can't control them at pick up time and let the kids get away with murder!
On the plus side, I love being my own boss, love being able to be spontaneous and do whatever we want during the day! I love the cuddles and kisses, being a big kid, seeing children learn new things, having so much fun they don't want to go home, getting gifts from parents to show their appreciation of what you do, and knowing that parents trust you to look after their most precious possessions!

Have been doing this job for nearly 10 years and am planning to continue for another 2.5 though blooming parents keep getting pregnant!!!!!

Not sure what I'll do when I stop minding, whatever it is it'll have a lot to live up to!

Xxx

Mrs Scrubbit
11-02-2014, 11:29 PM
I began to feel the same in Dec. so after having a chat with one set parents it was agreed that I would work from their home and become their nanny. We are now into our 6th week and are all loving the arrangment, I still work the same way having complete freedom to do what I want, when I want. But despite feeling very happy .......my home does look and feel a little strange without all the toys, posters, displays, artwork and..... stickyfinger marks after 24yrs minding and having 3 children myself before I began , but I can get use to it in time!! I have also gained sooo much extra storage space now that most of the dreaded paperwork has GONE ! :clapping: xx

cathtee
12-02-2014, 01:57 PM
I would say the positives far out weight the negatives the biggest negative is the flaming weather, this afternoons school run is going to be awful the wind and the pouring rain, certainly won't be able to pit a brolly up :(

kellyskidz!
12-02-2014, 03:18 PM
100% the positives are endless, being there to take my dd to school and pick her up. Being there if she's ill and not stressing about having to ask a boss if I can have a day off with her. The lovely kids and parents. The fact that a day can go in any direction, its not rigidly planned out. Being able to say 'lets get some fresh air' whenever I like. Seeing the milestones you help children reach. Being my own boss and planning my own day (and changing my mind if I want to) parents trusting you with their kids and recommending you to people they know. When a child randomly hugs you. The pride of being a mother to a young child with my own business. Setting a good working ethic for my daughter. I could go on forever!!
The negatives for me would be the instability money wise, the fact that some people think we are just glorified SAHMs and how vulnerable we are (anyone with a grudge could decide to make a malicious complaint to OFSTED)
But I'd take all those negatives over and over to still be able to do this job, I love it!