PDA

View Full Version : Baby led weaning

happyfeet2013
11-02-2014, 05:31 PM
Have a possible future mindee wants strict baby led weaning no spoonfeeds ; continued with me baby 8 months thoughts please ?

sing-low
11-02-2014, 05:39 PM
In principle, yes, but I would be wary about a parent wanting to dictate so precisely about something. Things to consider: it will be messier(!), may take longer, rules out jars/packets for easy outings or emergency plans, increased choking risk.

AliceK
11-02-2014, 05:47 PM
I love baby led weaning, I am a complete fan of it. Is IMO so much easier, ask mum when baby will progress to using spoon / fork though as they don't use their hands for that long.

xxxx

hectors house
11-02-2014, 06:07 PM
Have a mindee whose mum was so called doing baby led weaning but then she admitted that he hardly ate anything, I tried doing a mixture of spoon feeding and having some cooked veg, pasta etc on his highchair tray and he preferred being spoon fed - also found that he swallowed things whole and I used to find half of grapes in his nappy. He is only 13 months and today has eaten most of his cottage pie by himself using a spoon (with me refilling it for him). His mum says he still eats hardly anything at home for her!

supermumy
11-02-2014, 06:39 PM
I babbled weaned myself and my current mindee was and still is
It is so much easier they just eat what we do
I find baby led kids much better eaters
Agree with the spoons etc by 1 encourage spoons etc

amyp
11-02-2014, 06:56 PM
I'm completely baby led! We love it. I find it easier, we started at 5 months, 8 months- baby should be established and you just give it what you have. Buy it a sarnie or rice cakes for outings. I find it easier.

covgalxxx
12-02-2014, 11:04 PM
My dd baby led since she could found it easier, she want to hold everything, she is 14months now, only let's me feed her rice pupping, ready brek, and weetbix, she likes boiled potatoes not mash, not kine on feeding her self rice, I give her a spoon to use which she rarely uses but sometimes uses a fork,, she loves pancakes and sandwiches, and pasta she only got her 1st tooth at nearly 12 months, and has 4 teeth now,I normally put a plastic mat under her chair so easier to clear away, it was a happy bday plastic mat for high chair, which is the same as the bday table cloth you could pick up for £2,

Maza
13-02-2014, 11:58 AM
I agree with sing-low. No problem with baby lw at all, but do make sure that you start as you mean to go on with this mum - you are working 'together'. If there is something that you are not comfortable with, speak up, don't let the mum dictate to you (not that she was necessarily doing that this time). I let a mum dictate sleeping times/arrangements to me once and it ruined my experience with the child. x