PDA

View Full Version : tapping on the hand/legs

yummyripples
11-02-2014, 12:12 PM
I had a baby leave last year by mutual agreement. His mum used to tell me (with the older child) that I could tap him on the hands or legs if he bit/messed about at nappy changes/was naughty etc. I told her that I never would.
I have just seen the child that left with her new childminder (who is a lovely lady and the child settled) and she tapped the little girl Because the little girl snatched something off another child.
I realise that she has been told to do it but I don't think it's right. Would anyone else tap a minded child ever

AliceK
11-02-2014, 12:14 PM
No. I wouldn't have thought we were even allowed to do that doesn't matter what the parent says.

xxx

FussyElmo
11-02-2014, 12:18 PM
No not for anything :(

Becci26
11-02-2014, 12:27 PM
Not in a million years! I don't do it to my own children and def not mindees :-(

Kaybeaa
11-02-2014, 12:30 PM
Absolutely not! Can't believe she did it to be honest

shortstuff
11-02-2014, 12:35 PM
Never and in fact my mother is no longer allowed to spend time with ds as she did 'tap' him once and told me she would do it again.

silvermist
11-02-2014, 12:37 PM
Not a chance of me doing this either! I had a parent tell me I could give lo calpol if he was naughty as it 'chills him out'! I told her I cant do that!

Tms
11-02-2014, 01:02 PM
I would never physically hit a child even if parent said a little tap, out LC has in our policies that we DO NOT physically reprimand a child the only physical contact that if you need to do to stop them hurting themselves eg grab them if they are about to run into road .... tapping a kid is child abuse especially in our job I would report a childminder who hits a child even if parents give permission, they should not agree to it, you do not heed to do this in behaviour policies there should be ways to manage without being physical.

Smiley
11-02-2014, 01:03 PM
Years ago we were the only practitioners able to, with parental consent. We were totally against this as the rest of the sector were not allowed. NCMA (as they were then) had a campaign and eventually the government listened and the same rule applied to us. I thing that was before Ofsted became the regulatory body.

EYFS Statutory framework pg 23 states:

3.51 Providers must not give corporal punishment to a child. Providers must take all reasonable steps to ensure that corporal punishment is not given by any person who cares for or is in regular contact with a child, or by any person living or working in the premises where care is provided. Any early years provider who fails to meet these requirements commits an offence. A person will not be taken to have used corporal punishment (and therefore will not have committed an offence), where physical intervention24 was taken for the purposes of averting immediate danger of personal injury to any person (including the child) or to manage a child’s behaviour if absolutely necessary. Providers, including childminders, must keep a record of any occasion where physical intervention is used, and parents and/or carers must be informed on the same day, or as soon as reasonably practicable

yummyripples
11-02-2014, 01:11 PM
Not a chance of me doing this either! I had a parent tell me I could give lo calpol if he was naughty as it 'chills him out'! I told her I cant do that!

This mother did that too.

silvermist
11-02-2014, 01:14 PM
This mother did that too.

Its shocking isnt it. Drug abuse from an early age! !!

AliceK
11-02-2014, 01:44 PM

OMG, I am shocked. I can't believe parents would do that. What planet are they on :angry:

xxxx

FloraDora
11-02-2014, 02:14 PM
3.51 and 3.52 of the statuatory framework:

Providers must not give corporal punishment to a child. Providers must take all reasonable steps to ensure that corporal punishment is not given by any person who cares for or is in regular contact with a child, or by any person living or working in the premises where care is provided. Any early years provider who fails to meet these requirements commits an offence. A person will not be taken to have used corporal punishment (and therefore will not have committed an offence), where physical intervention24 was taken for the purposes of averting immediate danger of personal injury to any person (including the child) or to manage a child’s behaviour if absolutely necessary. Providers, including childminders, must keep a record of any occasion where physical intervention is used, and parents and/or carers must be informed on the same day, or as soon as reasonably practicable.
3.52 Providers must not threaten corporal punishment, and must not use or threaten any punishment which could adversely affect a child's well-being.

So, as everyone else has said the answer is a big No!