PDA

View Full Version : Bank holidays vs public holidays

Miss freckles
11-02-2014, 11:09 AM
In my contracts it states my service is not open bank holidays therefore no fees are due.

However just looking towards the next few months and the bank holidays that are upon us I was wondering if I can choose to stay open on a public holiday and charge?

My half terms are quiet, I only have two children in all week and get two days off a week which are lovely however as Good Friday is classed as a public holiday and not a bank holiday I was going to stay open for Good Friday as I would only have one child in til 2. Stupid question maybe but is that ok to stay open and charge?

LG2014
11-02-2014, 11:39 AM
Hi,

As you've stated in contract you close and no charge it be bit unfair to know remain open and charge.

Would you be charging even if children didn't need care on bank holidays.

More notice would need to be given and contracts amended but remember Boxing Day and Easter Monday etc are all Public Holidays so are you working them too? X

Miss freckles
11-02-2014, 11:45 AM
I was referring to public holidays, as far as I know Christmas Day and Good Friday are the only public holidays the rest are bank holidays which I would still remain closed for. Christmas Day I would still remain closed for. I just don't see why I'm closing on a Good Friday when I'm able to work and it's not classed as a bank holiday. I didn't know how people saw Good Friday.

FussyElmo
11-02-2014, 11:55 AM
Depends on what site you look at.

Gov.uk has both days as a bank holiday.

https://www.gov.uk/bank-holidays

Miss freckles
11-02-2014, 12:03 PM
Thanks, all so confusing, I just read on three different sites how Good Friday is classed as a public holiday but I'm now thinking regardless of what people call them they are all treated as bank holidays then.
I'll stick as I am then.

QualityCare
11-02-2014, 12:15 PM
Good Friday and Christmas Day have always (since time began) been recognised as public holidays other bank holidays were introduced later by the banking system all are now treated much the same i.e Bank holidays, if you choose to work on one some or all of them it needs to be on the contract at signing most contracts have a bank holiday space for you to list what charges and days you will work. I think it would be very unfair to suddenly make a change if nothing was agreed.

Miss freckles
11-02-2014, 12:22 PM
I know this, but I simply got confused over the difference between bank holidays and public holidays after what somebody had told me then I had a look myself and read some confusing terms.

I was actually simply looking into it as I only have one child on a Good Friday and thought by working it it would actually maybe help her out as she works in retail but hey oh I shall keep it as is.

FussyElmo
11-02-2014, 12:27 PM
I know this, but I simply got confused over the difference between bank holidays and public holidays after what somebody had told me then I had a look myself and read some confusing terms.

I was actually simply looking into it as I only have one child on a Good Friday and thought by working it it would actually maybe help her out as she works in retail but hey oh I shall keep it as is.

I used to have a mum similar to yours in retail and I worked Good Fridays just for her. Charged her normal rate as well but she was lovely and would bend over backwards if I needed time off :thumbsup:

smurfette
11-02-2014, 12:50 PM
I got caught this way last year thinking it was a bank holiday and I would be closed and charge ,, one of the parents argued with me that it was actually a public holiday so I ended up taking an unpaid day off but was worth it as previous year I worked it and resented it as I would have liked the full four days off., this year I am not really working Fridays so should be ok

tulip0803
11-02-2014, 02:08 PM
Last year I had 3 of the 4 mindees that I would normally have on a Friday on Good Friday as all the parents were still working. DH is a bus driver and it is the only holiday that the buses still run as normal.