PDA

View Full Version : Childcare / Child Development Books and Other Resources

Tealady
11-02-2014, 11:02 AM
Before becoming a Childminder in 2008 I had no Childcare background at all. I used to be a buyer, first for an lubes research site then for an IT Maintenance Company. I had never even changed a nappy until my DD came along.

I must admit I was one of those Mum's who came into CM because I wanted to stay home with DD. However, I have found it something that I enjoy and Ofsted and the parents think I am good at.

So here I am over five years later and feeling I really need to get some more knowledge about Childcare and Child development. I have obviously learnt stuff and on the job and Development Matters has been useful. But with the focus now being more on how we develop and educate the children I feel a bit lost.

I am waiting to hear what funding / loan scheme is available for the Level 3 in my area as I can't afford the £1200 right now.

So I am looking for recommendations for books too read/study, on-line sources to look at or any other way I can develop this area. As I've said I have no prior experience in this area so don't know where to start and don't want to waste time reading rubbish.

sarah707
11-02-2014, 06:00 PM
There are some free early years short courses with Open University that might be a gentle way of introducing some study :D

Bluebell
11-02-2014, 06:18 PM
I was recently looking for childcare books and they certainly are a lot about!

If you are thinking of doing level 3 perhaps look at one of the Certification/exam boards (such as Edexcel) recommended accompanying books. It will cover the area you are interested in, be appropriate and relevant as deemed by the qualification provider and when you come to do your course be useful knowledge to help you through.

You can then look on e-bay or amazon and find a used copy to save you a few pennies.

Having said that from September the level 3 will all be under the umbrella qualification of 'Early Years Educator' and the criteria will be new. Once the criteria is finalised there will probably be a new book that is relevant and up to date to cover all the requirements. You may want to wait to get a book that is up to date with the new qualification**

Hope that helps

** but no doubt the actual subject material covered will be very similar!!

Tealady
14-02-2014, 12:13 PM
Thank-you :)

gef918
14-02-2014, 12:34 PM
I'm looking into doing a level 3 too. Have you looked at the 24+ Advanced loan from the government? I think that's what I'm going to do.

mrs robbie williams
14-02-2014, 01:42 PM
I'm doing mine at the moment, it's very time consuming, I'm doing mine with Parenta funded by the government loan x,