PDA

View Full Version : Advice on numbers

kellyskidz!
10-02-2014, 04:27 PM
Quick question, since I've phone OFSTED and they've given me totally vague answers and been no help at all. Basically said do as you see fit and if we have any questions you must be prepared to answer them?!
Anyway, I'm totally full on a Thursday after school pick up at 3.30, I have 6 under eights (my own daughter included in that) but this is only from 3.30pm, when I pick them up from school.
I have 1 from 8am then another 1 from 12pm on that day so 2 until 3.30pm
Have had a lady phone up today asking for a space for her 2 yo on a Thursday morning, she will be picking up from me at 1pm (just wants a half day)
Can I do this firstly, and would YOU do this secondly?
My worries are what if she's late one day? I would have 7 then, but would OFSTED understand that it would be an emergency situation, as Mum hasnt collected? Also I'd have 7 children in on one day, even if they never overlap is this still allowed? So confused!!

tulip0803
10-02-2014, 04:30 PM
Another spanner - Would you have them all during school holidays??

FussyElmo
10-02-2014, 04:39 PM
You can never have 7 under 8's regardless of the situation Mum being late etc.

You can have 7 during the course of the day but they must never be in your care at one time.

And as Tulip states what about holidays, inset days etc

kellyskidz!
10-02-2014, 04:43 PM
You can never have 7 under 8's regardless of the situation Mum being late etc.

You can have 7 during the course of the day but they must never be in your care at one time.

And as Tulip states what about holidays, inset days etc

So what if, say I took this boy on, mum signs a contract to say she'll pick up at 1 but come 3 when we have to set off to pick other 4 from school she hasn't collected? I know you can't have 7 under 8s but if Mum is saying she will pick up at 1 and for some reason is late, or in traffic? What then?
No I don't have the schoolies in hols x

AdeleMarie88
10-02-2014, 04:57 PM
Yes you can, but for the reason you stated, I would be weary, lateness!

How do you feel about mom? Does she work locally? Does she have to rely on public transport. Just tell mom your situation and impress the importance of a prompt pick up. If you decide to take her on, ask mom if she could arrange for an emergency pick up to be on standby. X

AgentTink
10-02-2014, 06:29 PM
I wouldn't think many parents would be 2 hours late, especially when they are not traveling in rush hour traffic. You will need to stress to mum like is said above that if for any reason she may not be able to make it one day that you have to have a emergency contact to drop the child too/get collected.

As everyone says you cannot go over 6 children under 8 at one time. however throughout any given day you may have lots of children on your books as long as they dont overlap causing you to go over the 6.

FussyElmo
10-02-2014, 06:34 PM
So what if, say I took this boy on, mum signs a contract to say she'll pick up at 1 but come 3 when we have to set off to pick other 4 from school she hasn't collected? I know you can't have 7 under 8s but if Mum is saying she will pick up at 1 and for some reason is late, or in traffic? What then?
No I don't have the schoolies in hols x

If a parent is 2 hours late you should have followed you late collection policy.

You would have to have a contingency in place someone to be an emergency assistant.

Do you think the parent would be 2 hours late?

The thing is 6 under 8s is law so even for continuity of care you cannot go over. If you were too you would void all your insurance so no cover for an accident etc. If reported to ofsted be graded inadequate in all probability.

Chatterbox Childcare
10-02-2014, 08:03 PM
Go for it!

samb
10-02-2014, 08:24 PM
There's quite a gap between 1 and 3 so go for it. Surely if mum is that late you would have followed your late collection procedure and child would have gone with emergency contact etc. I have had contracts that start 15-30 mins after another has left and never had a problem.

kellyskidz!
11-02-2014, 08:13 AM
Thanks all. No, I agree in all honesty that Mum is very unlikely to be over 2 hours late. If she was what would I do, call my Mum who is DBS checked (works in a school) and have her as an emergency? All the while following Late Collection policy's which says if parents are 1.5 hours late collecting then I will call the emergency numbers and eventually social services if no replies.
I mean my Mum could have my own dd and then I'd have 6 if this was ever the case
I don't know why I'm worried so much, I just have visions of the new mum saying oh I can't get to you until 3 today! It will likely never happen but I've never attempted to have 7 in one day before :panic:
Should I ask Mum for an Emergency Collection person in case she is ever late and stress about numbers and the importance of sticking to times?

kellyskidz!
11-02-2014, 08:16 AM
Also,if I do take child on, would it be a good idea to Risk Assess Thursdays and write in potential problems and what I would do in each instance just in case?x

hectors house
11-02-2014, 09:23 AM
I would just write up an action plan on what you would do if the parent was late - unlikely she would be stuck in traffic for that long but you need to think about people being involved in accidents, having to dash off to see a dying relative etc - by writing it up it will show that you are aware that you must never go over 6 children under 8 and have emergency plans in place - although it is really up to the parent to have an emergency contact rather than you.

As I said unlikely to be stuck in traffic for 2 hours but I live in the West country luckily not as far down as the Somerset levels - where poor people are having to drive miles out of their way to get to their villages due to flooding- but a main road into Bath near me is closed indefinitely due to a serious landslide, all other roads into Bath are gridlocked now - one of my mindees parents is now taking over an hour & half to do a half hour journey, she is still dropping off at same time but losing most of her lunch break to make up for being late each day and luckily the dad collects from me in the evening as she says getting home is even worse!

kellyskidz!
11-02-2014, 10:09 AM
I would just write up an action plan on what you would do if the parent was late - unlikely she would be stuck in traffic for that long but you need to think about people being involved in accidents, having to dash off to see a dying relative etc - by writing it up it will show that you are aware that you must never go over 6 children under 8 and have emergency plans in place - although it is really up to the parent to have an emergency contact rather than you.

As I said unlikely to be stuck in traffic for 2 hours but I live in the West country luckily not as far down as the Somerset levels - where poor people are having to drive miles out of their way to get to their villages due to flooding- but a main road into Bath near me is closed indefinitely due to a serious landslide, all other roads into Bath are gridlocked now - one of my mindees parents is now taking over an hour & half to do a half hour journey, she is still dropping off at same time but losing most of her lunch break to make up for being late each day and luckily the dad collects from me in the evening as she says getting home is even worse!

Thank you :) see it is unlikely but possible, so I'll write up a RA, ask Mum for a reliable Emergency Person and pray we never need them xx

FussyElmo
11-02-2014, 11:37 AM
Also,if I do take child on, would it be a good idea to Risk Assess Thursdays and write in potential problems and what I would do in each instance just in case?x

Would it be worth getting your mum named as assistant if you are putting her down on a Ra.

Im just thinking that if she wasn't your children would still count in your numbers.

But where does the mum work from your house?

kellyskidz!
11-02-2014, 02:37 PM
Would it be worth getting your mum named as assistant if you are putting her down on a Ra.

Im just thinking that if she wasn't your children would still count in your numbers.

But where does the mum work from your house?

Not sure where the Mum works to be honest, she's coming for a visit on thurs so will ask then. Knowing me she'll probably work around the corner and I'll have worried for nothing!
How do you go about registering someone as an assistant?x

FussyElmo
11-02-2014, 04:14 PM
Not sure where the Mum works to be honest, she's coming for a visit on thurs so will ask then. Knowing me she'll probably work around the corner and I'll have worried for nothing!
How do you go about registering someone as an assistant?x

Bless you Kellyskidz why don't you wait and see what she wants, works etc before you think of as assistant :)

kellyskidz!
12-02-2014, 01:50 PM
Bless you Kellyskidz why don't you wait and see what she wants, works etc before you think of as assistant :)

Lol I think I needed that, someone to nicely say shut up worrying!!:thumbsup:xx

FussyElmo
12-02-2014, 02:03 PM
Lol I think I needed that, someone to nicely say shut up worrying!!:thumbsup:xx

It was very tactful for me :thumbsup:

kellyskidz!
12-02-2014, 03:22 PM
Lol thanks I appreciate the restraint shown x