PDA

View Full Version : Inspiration needed for school children activities

Hayley102
10-02-2014, 04:21 PM
I am increasing the number of school children coming in September and feel i need to be a little more structured to cope with the larger numbers. Any ideas appreciated.:laughing:

rachelle
10-02-2014, 06:06 PM
I have the table set with some do it yourself craft, the wii a couple of days a week, tv if needed after school, assorted floor toys, books - they all seem to find something to keep them occupied :)

funemnx
10-02-2014, 06:16 PM
Mine spent all this evening playing racing games with 'sticky bugs' that crawl down the window :thumbsup:

loocyloo
10-02-2014, 06:31 PM
mine spent every evening last week building a huge park/zoo/farm with the duplo! along with a car park and 'park & ride' bus !!!! they are aged 8, 9 , 10 & 11 !!!! :D

maisiemog
10-02-2014, 10:01 PM
Hama beads are always a hit here. Wii, especially the dance may Anything arts and crafts I've got an old digital camera and type writer and the oldest three (9,10&12) have just started a newspaper and have taken loads of pictures to put in it, the younger ones are drawing pictures for it. I'm looking forward to the finished product! And all their own idea as well!

Simona
11-02-2014, 09:59 AM
mine spent every evening last week building a huge park/zoo/farm with the duplo! along with a car park and 'park & ride' bus !!!! they are aged 8, 9 , 10 & 11 !!!! :D

Yes...they love building and the older ones can be so creative.

Other activities can be Mobilo, more intricate construction, setting up shop and getting the little ones involved too, building dens with lots of blankets, card games, draughts and even Scrabble!

Goatgirl
11-02-2014, 01:42 PM
Mine all seem to love play dough: home made. I like to have 2 big tubs in different colours going at once. It's always available on a coffee table with a basket of rolling pins cutters etc. They are keen on make believe games and usually 2 or 3 of them are at the table being 'the bakers'.
They squeeze into the dressing up costumes and play with dollies, play cooker and food and set up home in the various areas of the room where they can sit or lie under blankets etc.
Hama beads are popular for weeks at a time - not currently- as are art project type things: stained glass windows klutz book has been used up and replaced 3 or 4 times now and window paint is a favourite but expensive so I let them all have a go till its used up then don't replace for quite a while.
Monopoly - beware the volume of negotiations!
Twister is great fun.
A bob the builder Ludo type game comes out quite often too.
I have a box of beano comics, a few horrible histories' in there too.
Lots of paper and drawing/colouring materials available.
Construction - they love duplo and the brio train/car set we have an often play with these alongside littlies. There is lego, a set of googolplex (small pieces that click together) and various other bolt together bits and pieces.
For the craft inclined I have chinese takeaway tubs filled with various things to 'stick ' or 'cut and stick' which I buy when I see them about and affordable.
They do love cooking/decorating but I find there is very limited time for it after snack and before collections so its very rare and very rushed treat, saved for special occasions.
Puzzles come out sometimes, often to help the little ones, but also sometimes bigger children will have one each and race to finish.
I have a couple of electronic hand held games - Bop it is favourite at the mo - and occasionally we have a 'rock band' session on the xbox console (my son's old stuff) which they do love but can get a bit hectic, so depends on what combination of children i have on which days, whether littlies will be occupied and happy etc as it does take over most of the living room and is noisy.

Good luck :thumbsup:
Mostly they like to eat and chat - loudly :)!