PDA

View Full Version : Jury Service

Hayley102
10-02-2014, 12:58 PM
Does anyone know if childminding and the disruption to the children & families is deemed as a reason to be excused from Jury service? Just received a summons & am trying to work out if I need to apply to be excused or if i just have to go.

cathtee
10-02-2014, 02:04 PM
CM friend of mine wrote a letter stating that it would cause x amount of parents inconvienience (sp?) if she was to do jury services and they excused her and have heard of some others too, just state your case and see what happens, good luck

JCrakers
10-02-2014, 02:07 PM
If I get called up I'm going to write a letter about being a self employed childminder saying how the disruption of all the families I work for having to find alternative care. I'm also going to get every parent I work with to write a letter about how they would struggle without me and for me to out of action for however how many days, weeks it could take.
No idea if it would work but if I had to go I would probably lose my business that I've built up over 6yrs. Its taken me years to build a business that people recommend. I'm never off sick which is a bonus point when parents are worrying about cover.

Last time I looked into it they give something like £35 a day to cover loss of earnings and travel. The train itself would cost about £17 a day. I don't have a car some days so would have to train it there and back.

Plus if I'm off a lot, whose to say the children wont settle somewhere else and not come back afterwards.

bernesewalking
10-02-2014, 02:20 PM
I had a letter many years ago about this, I just stated I couldn't Do it because it would cause too much Inconvience to the families and how much I would loose in income, it did the trick and I let off from doing it.

doris127
10-02-2014, 02:45 PM
If I get called up I'm going to write a letter about being a self employed childminder saying how the disruption of all the families I work for having to find alternative care. I'm also going to get every parent I work with to write a letter about how they would struggle without me and for me to out of action for however how many days, weeks it could take.
No idea if it would work but if I had to go I would probably lose my business that I've built up over 6yrs. Its taken me years to build a business that people recommend. I'm never off sick which is a bonus point when parents are worrying about cover.

Last time I looked into it they give something like £35 a day to cover loss of earnings and travel. The train itself would cost about £17 a day. I don't have a car some days so would have to train it there and back.

Plus if I'm off a lot, whose to say the children wont settle somewhere else and not come back afterwards.

I did all of the above and got of twice - just and at the last minute!! After my 3rd summons in 12 months I was told I had to do it as I would just keep getting summoned. Previously if you had written in the clerk would see your letter and just not include you in any further summons. Now it' s computer generated and the computer will just keep putting you back to the top of the list until you do it. This is what I was told when I asked why I kept getting called. It was really inconvenient for all the families but they agreed that if I was going to have it hanging over me then it was better to get it over and done with. If you are called, turn up and are not used you are off the list for 2 years. If you are selected then you're off for 5 years. I did get picked and the case lasted 3 days. I had to take all my contracts with me a well as mileage. It was about £60 per day I think as well as all travel expenses. I did lose out a lot as parents had to make arrangements for the week so even though I was available they had to pay someone else so I couldn't really expect them to pay me as well. however - at least we know I won' t be called for at least 3.5 years.

tulip0803
10-02-2014, 04:24 PM
DH got called and was looking forward to going but they wrote back to say they didn't want him anymore:( he was soooo disappointed.

bunyip
10-02-2014, 04:52 PM
I've been called twice. First time I was excused cos I was studying at the time. Second time I was employed, so I did it.

IIWY, I'd phone the court and ask to speak to the Jury Officer/Bailiff. They usually deal with appeals to be excused on the first day you're meant to be serving, so you'll obviously need to explain the nature of your work and how it would inconvenience multiple families even if you just went in on day 1 to have an appeal considered.

Maza
10-02-2014, 05:31 PM
I know of two teachers who got called up and they appealed saying it was too disruptive for the class. They then got made to do it in the Summer holidays! I did laugh at the time, but it's awful really!

Rick
10-02-2014, 07:24 PM
Sarah has written a document about this, hopefully it helps you

FloraDora
10-02-2014, 08:21 PM
I know of two teachers who got called up and they appealed saying it was too disruptive for the class. They then got made to do it in the Summer holidays! I did laugh at the time, but it's awful really!

I have waited to be called as I would love to do it ( I am considering becoming a local magistrate or a private eye!) like your friends, I was called once and got told they would postpone it to a summer holiday time.....I put off booking a holiday for ages in excited anticipation of serving on a jury......but it never came!

If it happened now hopefully I could put it off until the summer again as I don't work in the school holidays ( I only look after teachers children and support schools). But then I would be on that 'will they, won't they?' carousel again!

They really should do something about the financial side though, as a teacher I would still get paid, but as I am now self employed it matters!!

Hayley102
12-02-2014, 09:43 AM
Thank you for your replies. I will let you know how i get on.:)

wee_elf
12-02-2014, 03:39 PM
I have always wanted to do it (is that sad?!) but never been called. I bet I get a letter within the first year of being self employed...xx