PDA

View Full Version : Do you bite your tongue?

bunnyjess
10-02-2014, 08:07 AM
Just wondering what people do with regards to rude parents? Do you bite your tongue or say what you think? I find it hard to bite my tongue

shortstuff
10-02-2014, 08:22 AM
I put on my biggest smile and point out that I am their equal and would they mind treating me as such in a lovely happy voice. It usually stuns people enough to change their attitude and you haven't sunk to their level x

jaykay79
10-02-2014, 08:59 AM
I had a mum of one of my mindee's say to me the other day "you're the only person I know who doesn't have a job" wanted to punch her!!! :angry:

gef918
10-02-2014, 10:25 AM
I had a prospective parent turn up on the doorstep one evening with no warning. I had just finished work for the day so was getting tea ready, doing the washing, tidying up toys, etc. His first comment when I showed him around was "it's cleaner than I thought it would be!"

I bit my tongue. Will never let prospective parents in without an appointment now.

bunyip
10-02-2014, 11:11 AM
Worth figuring out if "rude" really is rude.

One of the keys to understanding/communication is knowing whether you've taken a comment as it was intended or injected it with your own values, meaning it comes out differently to what the speaker really meant.

Sometimes "rude" = rude.

Sometimes "rude" = nervously talking for the sake of talking.

Sometimes "rude" = inarticulate.

Sometimes "rude" = straight-talking.

...and so on.............. :thumbsup:

AdeleMarie88
10-02-2014, 11:34 AM
I was told "pick your battles" I. Think if I said something every time someone was rude to me, i would be falling out with people left right and centre.

Bunyip is right- how rude is rude? There are plenty of things I wouldn't dream of saying to others, but my OH says just it, and he has a million friends who really value his straight to the point mentality.

I wouldn't argue just for the sake of one or two throw away comments, I'm a bit sneaker than that, I may have the odd dig back to make me feel like we are even! Hahahaha

bunnyjess
10-02-2014, 11:57 AM
I had a mum of one of my mindee's say to me the other day "you're the only person I know who doesn't have a job" wanted to punch her!!! :angry:

Oh no! I'd be fuming!

bunnyjess
10-02-2014, 11:58 AM
Worth figuring out if "rude" really is rude. One of the keys to understanding/communication is knowing whether you've taken a comment as it was intended or injected it with your own values, meaning it comes out differently to what the speaker really meant. Sometimes "rude" = rude. Sometimes "rude" = nervously talking for the sake of talking. Sometimes "rude" = inarticulate. Sometimes "rude" = straight-talking. ...and so on.............. :thumbsup:

I know what you mean. I do this sometimes as I say silly things when nervous

VeggieSausage
10-02-2014, 12:26 PM
My sister in law bought me The Buddhist Bootcamp book (i am not a Buddhist or any other religion) for Christmas and it is a very positive book and I am trying after reading it to be positive this year.....so if a parent was rude to me I would not let it get to me, I would carefully and calmly say something that is not rude back and try and think the best of them for example have they had a bad day!......I am TRYING but am a work in progress......I really want to see the positive in everyone if I can and not let negative people or comments get me down.... :)

snortlet
10-02-2014, 12:40 PM
VeggieSausage the book sounds good. maybe we should all get one when we register!

bunnyjess
10-02-2014, 01:00 PM
Ohhh I need to get that book! I normally bite my tongue but I can't if I have a bad day. Get verbal diarrhoea lol

smurfette
10-02-2014, 01:07 PM
Ohhh I need to get that book! I normally bite my tongue but I can't if I have a bad day. Get verbal diarrhoea lol

Me too lol!!

VeggieSausage
10-02-2014, 05:47 PM
I recommend it peeps, its making me see a new side to life!! its written by Timber Hawkeye.....https://www.facebook.com/timberhawkeye?fref=ts

https://www.facebook.com/buddhistbootcamp?fref=ts

and no I haven't converted to Buddhism just very interesting different angle to see the world by.....