PDA

View Full Version : Assistant

Karen1
09-02-2014, 11:50 AM
Right, I have been approached by a nanny who doesn't have any children at the moment, if I needed an assistant.

So I have looked at everything is this right-

If I have an assistant could I have an additional three 0-5 (don't intend too, but could I).

Am I right in saying, It would depend on my floor space! How do I measure this? I know stupid question! Do I need to ask ofsted if I can have an assistant- do they need to come and check, or do they take my word on it!

Need ey2 form. Do they then issue new cert?

If I'm paying her minimum wage (more than I charge an hour, how does this pay?)
Or can she be self employed and invoice me for the hours done?on an as and when basis.

Really only need an assistant for school runs (as struggling taking mindees and collecting my own children from school, the whole in/out then in/out of the car routine!

Seems a bit of a minefield really. Any advice or tips, as now she's mentioned it, I would like it too work! Lol

funemnx
09-02-2014, 02:15 PM
I have an assistant mainly for the school runs - the main thing to consider is what would you do if she was ill and couldn't come in? I have more than one registered assistant who could step in and a CM friend who could step in if necessary.

My assistant comes 2 days a week. she is self-employed and I pay her £7.50 an hour (she invoices me). It seems like a lot but by covering my very busiest days I make it up by having the same children other days so over a week for example, I earn more than I would with fewer children.

The EY2 is the form for your assistant to fill in - this includes the DBS check. Ofsted will write to her when she registered as your assistant and you can take a copy for her file. I think there is a charge to register an assistant nowadays. You will need to get parents permission signed too.

I can't remember the formula for the floor space but believe it's in the free rescources at the top. Also Ofsted have information on their website about working with an assistant. I would highly recomend paying for her 1st Aid Course if she hasn't got one - this means you can leave some children with her while you do the school run or visa versa.

tulip0803
09-02-2014, 02:53 PM
If you are going to go over 6 children in total you will need to check to see if planning permission is needed. It depends on local areas some have no restrictions others have a restriction. My area I can only have 6 minded children of any age otherwise I have to apply for planning, if I worked with an assistant I could have the 6 under 5 but would not be able to have any school age children.

Some areas include your own children, some areas only count minded children (mine), some areas only count under 8s, other areas count children of all ages (mine), others have no restrictions - it depends on your local authority planning rules.

Karen1
09-02-2014, 06:55 PM
Hi

Thanks for all the replies, I think as much as I would love help, it isn't viable. I certainly don't have space for extra mindees. And can't afford to employ just to do school run.

Thanks for all your help.
Do you think a college would be interested and get a student to help.