PDA

View Full Version : advise needed please

ja-lula-belli
08-02-2014, 01:39 PM
Hi all.
I have a little girl in my care she is 4 and is undergoing tests as they suspect she is on the spectrum of autism or asperges.
She is very happy in my care and gets on really well with my children.
It just seems like every activity I plan to do with just doesn't interest her or holds her attention. I have tried all sorts ranging from arts and crafts, physical games, metal games, sensory play. She does like building blocks but only for a short time. I have googled ideas for her but again it just doesn't hold her attention. I have just bought a fish tank ( the pretend ones that light up and has bubbles with plastic fish in them to see if she may like that)
I am in Wales and am in the Cssiw inspection so do not have to follow such strict eyfs guidelines and as I say she is most happy playing make believe games with my children.
Any ideas on what I can do?

blue bear
08-02-2014, 05:06 PM
Will she play role play with you, one of mine rings the door bell dressed to the nines in heels, necklaces, handbag In her Hand with her phone in her pocket, hands over the baby and dashes off to work or London etc.
She also likes setting up role play areas ready for the bigger children coming home from school, this often involves looking up signs on The computer, printing them off and sticking them up,setting put pens and paper etc she loves it getting things ready and can't wait to share with the bigger ones.
Much better to take her interest of role play and use it to introduce other skills, eg painting wallpaper where she wouldn't just pain a picture for the joy of painting.

sarah707
09-02-2014, 10:29 AM
Find out from parents what she enjoys doing at home and complement her learning from there - she might be more tuned in to concentrating for slightly longer if it really interests her.

But keep providing alternative stimuli as well! It will broaden her horizons and if she can keep coming back to things they might hold her attention for longer next time.

Hugs x