PDA

View Full Version : Parent wants additonal hour

Helly Belly
08-02-2014, 09:49 AM
A parent text this am,wanting to know if I could have her child 6:30-3 instead of contracted 7:30-5.30 two days this week so she can earn more money doing a bank shift I said it would be an additional hrs fee of £6 she doesn't get it / agree with it . I will still be working till 5.30 with other Los so really long day for me thought I'd share

moggy
08-02-2014, 10:02 AM
You did the right thing- your contracted hours still stand, she is just requesting and extra hour's care so she needs to pay the extra hour's fees- and I'd get it in writing and both of you sign to agree with payment in advance (to avoid any last minute change of plan on her part). Whether she collects at 3 or 5.30pm is her choice, your service is still available to 5.30pm as per contract.

Fitrix
08-02-2014, 11:53 AM
6.30am??! Think I would charge double time for working unsocial hours!! Totally agree you are right to charge.

bunyip
08-02-2014, 11:59 AM
6.30am??! Think I would charge double time for working unsocial hours!! Totally agree you are right to charge.

Unsociable? Try shift work. :D

Mouse
08-02-2014, 12:14 PM
I can see why mum is confused - she is requesting shorter hours, but you are charging her more. That's not to say you are doing anything wrong. It's just that she will be looking at it from a parent's point of view, not from a childminder's point of view.

If you charge a day rate you need to explain that to her and if you charge an hourly rate you need to tell her why it will cost more for fewer hours.

sing-low
08-02-2014, 02:54 PM
With anything like this, I always go back to the contract and would explain to Mum that contracted hours (7.30-5.30) must be paid for even if not used and especially with less than 4 weeks notice (again, as per contract). Then additional hours, over and above contracted hours, incur an additional charge. It's effectively two different transactions.

Bluebell
08-02-2014, 05:17 PM
yes - its difficult for parents to understand - parent asked me the other day if I could have child later - but did I want her to bring child in later - I said no normal time was fine.
I was prepared to back it up by saying arriving later would disrupt my day but also as a business I am working during that time and paying an assistant during that time - I need to have children to justify that cost. If the child is staying later and I am working longer I would like to be paid more for that thank you very much.

I'm assuming you would be opening additional hour to cover the required childcare and wouldn't be able to fill the space in the afternoon with another child so why should you lose money?

Koala
08-02-2014, 05:36 PM
Yes I agree - you should charge.

I charge a day rate 8 - 5.30pm if they drop off after 8 or finish before 5.30pm - it is the same rate plus if they come before 8am its an additonal £4 per half hour or after 5.30pm its an additional £4 per half hour, only under agreement though - I don't like to have children more than 50 hrs per week. I might live here 24hrs a day but I don't work 24hrs a day, nearly but not quite. :D

The problem is - some people don't think it's additional work as you are here anyway - whats the difference? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

LauraS
08-02-2014, 09:56 PM
I can see both sides. I had two siblings thirty minutes earlier than usual but they were picked up an hour earlier. I didn't charge the extra because I hate the last hour of the day, the witching hour when the kids and I are all just about tired enough for it all to be really hard work and to have two less at this time of day not only breaks the routine but makes it soooooo much easier ;)

That said it suited me. If it doesn't suit you, then I would try to explain about you still having to work til 5.30 with the other kids and get up earlier for her on top of that... thereby creating extra work for you. She wouldn't expect a nursery to open an hour early for her, and certainly not for free.

Helly Belly
12-02-2014, 05:59 PM
I have changed contracts from today so mon to thurs stays the same and Friday 6.30-3 with no extra fee , as it's contracted 5.30 collection no longer available think everyone happy , I'll be picking my two girls up from school on Fridays without any other Los present and not losing any money thank you for reading and replying

hectors house
12-02-2014, 06:27 PM
Sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture - yes you are starting work an hour earlier (not sure I would want to start at 6.30) but the benefit is not having to pick up other children on a Friday meaning that if your children both get a tea invite on the same day you don't have to go to school for other people's children or maybe your children could have some friends to tea which you can't normally do due to having mindees.