PDA

View Full Version : Career progression

happyfeet2013
07-02-2014, 10:06 PM
Hi everyone

Just wondering how any childminders out there have progressed within their career ...... Where has childminding lead you to

The Juggler
07-02-2014, 10:09 PM
i left HR and went into childminding. Did my level 3, then my Fd, then my degree and then left CM after 9 years to do my PGCE. I'm half way through - it's tough but loving teaching

FloraDora
07-02-2014, 10:13 PM
i left HR and went into childminding. Did my level 3, then my Fd, then my degree and then left CM after 9 years to do my PGCE. I'm half way through - it's tough but loving teaching

I've done this in reverse - it's tough sometimes, but I love childminding!!!

bunyip
08-02-2014, 11:54 AM
This is a career? :huh:

I just do it for the stickle bricks. :rolleyes:

Bluebell
08-02-2014, 05:30 PM
I did my EYP, a management and leadership course am currently studying at PG level.

I've considered a career change maybe to nursery manager, FE teacher (of childcare), primary teacher, family support worker, or maybe even social work.

To be honest there is such a lot you can do with your experience and relevant training courses that we go on - like the domestic violence and CAF training courses got me interested in family support or social work and my tutor at uni thought I would be perfect for social work.
The nursery / pre-school management or primary teaching would be an obvious choice but although it's still an option I'm considering I'm really not sure.

The one that really appeals is teaching childcare - I've mentored new childminders, now mentoring someone on the EYT course and have been work place supervisor for level 3 students so teaching would be the next step. I am considering my options and how I get there! It is quite daunting and confusing! I need to get a feel for FE college, schools, students in a classroom environment and see if I would be cut out for it!

I also actually have to find something that matches up to childminding. I want to leave because of the poor financial return, the taking over my house, too much equipment, resources, no family time, no paid holidays etc BUT I love it because I enjoy it, have a great time with the kids, am my own boss, can follow my own theories on childcare - not strict curriculum set in schools, am here for my own children etc etc. I really quite like it so although I'm considering a move I know I am lucky to have such a great job!

amyp
10-02-2014, 01:00 PM
I have a degree and primary PGCE, I went into childminding because I have a 15 month old. I will soon start a home study EYTT ( early years teacher training course) I have now employed an assistant to expand the business. My next progression is to do community childminding. I hope to end up owning a nursery. What's your plans?

benandjerrys
10-02-2014, 09:58 PM
What is community childminding?

amyp
10-02-2014, 10:30 PM
It's kind of like a step before fostering, when you have children and the council pay for their places whilst parents are in rehab/ court etc. every council is different though. My council pay £15 an hour for it

happyfeet2013
11-02-2014, 05:39 PM
I an working towards a day care facility but firstly looking at taking on an assistant to expand my childminding