PDA

View Full Version : First visit from parents

Sarahj2012
07-02-2014, 08:14 PM
I have just had my first enquiry from parents to look after their 2 year old Daughter they want to come round next week for a visit. This will be my first meeting so can anyone give me any advice on how I go about things. What normally happens on the first visit ? What paperwork do I need to go through ? I also know that they are visiting quite a few childminders in the area so a little nervous. Thank you Sarah x

Zoomie
07-02-2014, 08:30 PM
Make up a list of things you want to ask, (days, times etc) and things you want to tell them (abt you, eyfs, meals, activities, outings, my holidays)

I have my portfolio available (all my certificates, Ofsted report etc) and my policy folder which I offer to parents to read (if they want)

Then I just chat away. Sometimes I leaf through the policy folder to prompt me to tell them abt certain things (ie v&d so 48h exclusion which goes for them and my family and do they have a back up plan if I close? Etc etc)

Often I forget to mention something or offer a drink.

At the end I give an A4 leaflet about me, because sometimes when parents see lots of providers they can't remember the wood for the trees. I also try to ensure parents don't visit more than 2 providers a day because a mum came once, having already seen 3 CM - baby was besides himself :(

alex__17
07-02-2014, 09:18 PM
I asked a similar question last week as I had my first meeting last weekend. On the day I'd almost completely lost my voice, so could barely talk, forgot to offer them a drink or show them around the house as my son was asleep in the dining room when they arrived, and I forgot to show them my folder of certificates and policies!
However I sat on the floor and croakily played with their children, answered their questions as best I could about what I'd do each day, food I'd provide etc, and they came back thurs and signed contracts! And at that point I gave them all the info I couldn't without a voice!
I'd say just be yourself, interact with the child s much as poss so they can see whether their child will fit in to your home and get on with you, good luck

FloraDora
07-02-2014, 09:28 PM
Make up a list of things you want to ask, (days, times etc) and things you want to tell them (abt you, eyfs, meals, activities, outings, my holidays)

I have my portfolio available (all my certificates, Ofsted report etc) and my policy folder which I offer to parents to read (if they want)

Then I just chat away. Sometimes I leaf through the policy folder to prompt me to tell them abt certain things (ie v&d so 48h exclusion which goes for them and my family and do they have a back up plan if I close? Etc etc)

Often I forget to mention something or offer a drink.

At the end I give an A4 leaflet about me, because sometimes when parents see lots of providers they can't remember the wood for the trees. I also try to ensure parents don't visit more than 2 providers a day because a mum came once, having already seen 3 CM - baby was besides himself :(

I do similar, I show them around my home first though. I have lists too because I get involved with entertaining the child and need a crib sheet. On the phone call or email I have arranged meet I asked the child's favourite playing activity - that way I can make sure it is out and so the child is occupied happily.

100% success rate!

Just be yourself, if they are not happy with you, chances are you probably are not happy with them! I do 'vet' before I offer visit so not a waste of time due to a minor point.