PDA

View Full Version : Chickenpox has come a calling!

Emra81
07-02-2014, 06:33 PM
Lo that I have on a Tuesday came up in spots yesterday so dd, another mindee and I will all have been exposed as we were with lo within the most contagious bit 48 hours before rash appeared.

Parents are mostly fine with it, not a lot anyone can do...although one Mum asked if she should keep her little one at home for 3 weeks incase he passes it on to others at my setting as he's my only full timer bless her. I was right to tell her that's daft right?

My main concern is that I'm 12 weeks pregnant, had chickenpox as a kid but the immunity test that I asked the midwife to do at my booking appointment (as I knew it would crop up at some point!) came back inconclusive! Basically they don't know for sure if I have the antibodies but doc says if I'm sure I had it as a kid (which I def did according to my Mum as me and 2 siblings each had it 2 weeks apart, lucky her!) I should be fine. Not very reassuring!

Not much point to this post as I've already been exposed and even if dd is going to get it, I can hardly send her away for 10-21 days incase I'm not immune and it missed me this first time then she passes it on to me! I've asked for a repeat blood test but it has to be signed off by a doctor who of course can't see me til Monday...aaaaarrrrgh!

playdayz
07-02-2014, 07:48 PM
I would allow to come back when spot had dried an cristed ,
Would be extra careful if I was you u can get chicken pox more than both my kids have had them twice an then my oldest had shingles too

vickylou
08-02-2014, 09:08 AM
I would exclude until last spot dried up as usual you should be Ok I got chicken pox when I was 15 weeks pregnant and was told that it's more dangerous before 12 weeks and at the end if pregnancy. As if mum has them at delivery baby can catch them during the delivery. If your very concerned contact yoyr gp or midwives. I hope you don't catch them only as I felt really poorly and as your pregnant you can't take anything to stop the itching. It was my first bout and I was covered!!!! Found it also gave me low blood pressure which wasn't pleasant either. Hope your dd gets better soon

alex__17
08-02-2014, 09:32 AM
If my own son were to get chicken pox and my mindees had already had it, would I need to close? Just wondering, obviously if he was very poorly I'd close, but if he was ok in himself just spotty would I be allowed to stay open?

alex__17
08-02-2014, 09:32 AM
Also would I also accept mindees with pox if everyone else had had it?

Emra81
08-02-2014, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the replies guys x

Alex_17 you read my mind! In theory if everyones had it and child isn't too ill in themselves (whether another mindee or my own child) it's be ok to have them here? Or should it just be a blanket exclusion for the 5 days after rash/crusting over for everyone so we all know where we stand?

Simona
08-02-2014, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the replies guys x

Alex_17 you read my mind! In theory if everyones had it and child isn't too ill in themselves (whether another mindee or my own child) it's be ok to have them here? Or should it just be a blanket exclusion for the 5 days after rash/crusting over for everyone so we all know where we stand?

While for some illnesses it is up to us to decide and reflect when to exclude for chicken pox the guidelines are given by the Public Health England (previously Health Protection Agency)...those should be followed as we should follow 48 hrs exclusion for vomiting and diarrohea

HPA - Guidance on Infection Control in Schools and other Child Care Settings (http://www.hpa.org.uk/web/HPAweb&HPAwebStandard/HPAweb_C/1203496946639)

alex__17
08-02-2014, 12:39 PM
That's interesting they only need to be excluded for 5 days after pox appear...I always thought they had to stay away until all spots crusted over which I thought could take up to 3 weeks... Was dreading having to close for 3 weeks, 5 days is ok especially as with any luck a weekend will be in the middle, thanks for the link to the guidelines, will save that and refer parents to it if needed

samb
08-02-2014, 02:23 PM
Yes it's 5 days although if you want to you can state your own period as the guidelines are just that and not law. The schools round here for example are until all spots are crusted which like you said can be much longer- in fact some spots may still be just appearing after only 5 days. My family have all had it and I state 5 days. If you feel uncomfortable with only 5 days then state more but whatever you choose has to be te same rule for everyone- whether a mindee or your own children.

Koala
08-02-2014, 06:19 PM
Chicken px is a contagious disease - it can be caught more than once.

Apparently there is not a need to exclude until spots have crusted over for a contagious issue BUT I would be concerned about secondary infection too.

I know of children who's spots have become infected and this is not nice. Therefore if it was my own lo's I would not put my children at risk if they had 'wet' spots and as the virus will have affected the childs immune system leaving them low for a while and susceptible to further infection - I do not think it is much to ask for spots to be dry before returning and for parents to respect this request for their own childrens benefit too.