PDA

View Full Version : Talking to children about death

sarah707
07-02-2014, 11:15 AM
A colleague asked me to write some information so support childminders who need / want to talk to children about death.

It's not a very easy subject to raise with children but it is something we can support them to understand more about - and of course if the worst happens and they have to deal with death first hand it is useful if they have some knowledge of what is happening... and if we have a guidance document to support us.

I have written this blog - Sarah's Blog: Let's talk about death... (http://knutsfordchildminding.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/lets-talk-about-death.html).

I hope you find it useful x

silvermist
07-02-2014, 11:39 AM
Thank you sarah. Thats really handy to have x

hectors house
07-02-2014, 12:45 PM
Thank you for sharing Sarah

wee_elf
07-02-2014, 01:07 PM
thank you for sharing, it is a very useful resource to keep x

FloraDora
07-02-2014, 06:09 PM
Some useful reminders there Sarah, thankyou.

Locally, the hospice runs lots of sessions with the community around the subject of death, they came and chatted to parents and children at school and the pre school group that met in our community room. I find these outreach ladies have wonderful ways with words, I think they have counselling experience. It was just like having the lollipop person, local PCSO's, vet, rangers etc.. in. Alongside the sorts of things Sarah has written, their talks were good springboards for open conversation around death. They also hosted a session at the local childminding network session.

Simona
08-02-2014, 10:03 AM
Some useful reminders there Sarah, thankyou.

Locally, the hospice runs lots of sessions with the community around the subject of death, they came and chatted to parents and children at school and the pre school group that met in our community room. I find these outreach ladies have wonderful ways with words, I think they have counselling experience. It was just like having the lollipop person, local PCSO's, vet, rangers etc.. in. Alongside the sorts of things Sarah has written, their talks were good springboards for open conversation around death. They also hosted a session at the local childminding network session.

Personally I feel this subject should form part of our basic training and more sessions like the ones you have mentioned

For those who have cared for bereaved children it is important to remember to talk to the other parent first and foremost...ask for their opinion on how they want us to approach the subject...their answer will be the guidance we need

Also very useful is Barnardos' guidelines

http://www.barnardos.org.uk/child_bereavement_booklet_explaining_death.pdf

bunyip
08-02-2014, 10:55 AM
Thank you for that Sarah - excellent. :)