PDA

View Full Version : quick question, parent being awkward

jaykay79
07-02-2014, 09:13 AM
hi everyone, I have a situation with a parent where she is being really funny with me (she is leaving thank god) but today is my payment day and she text this morning to say child isn't coming today and she'd see me Monday, so I responded saying I hoped child was well and that when she dropped the money up later, if I wasn't home, she could leave it in my secure mailbox and to text to let me know it is there. she has read this text (iPhone tells me so lol) and has predictably not bothered responding, so I think to continue her campaign of awkwardness that she has going on at the moment, that she has no intention of dropping my money up later and will just give it to me Monday, purely to inconvenience me. if she hasn't dropped the money by say after tea time, should I contact her again? and if so what should I say? x

LauraS
07-02-2014, 09:20 AM
I would wait until late this evening then just say, I haven't received your money, please note that late fees of x will apply until the outstanding amount is paid, assuming that late fees are built into your contract.

If they aren't, you are pretty toothless I'm afraid. You could send a second text to point out the lack of payment but, let's face it, if she is being awkward anyway that will either not bother her in the slightest or will possibly make her happy, if she is trying to annoy you.

Chatterbox Childcare
07-02-2014, 09:25 AM
Is it worth it - I would wait until Monday if I could afford to

jaykay79
07-02-2014, 09:26 AM
no late payment fee's in my policy boo hoo :( there soon will be though! lol ... she is only being like this as I had to exclude her child twice in the last 3 weeks for vomiting on one occasion, and for conjunctivitis on the other. she has a major problem with my exclusion policies, that's why she is leaving, doesn't want to have to take time off work to care for poorly child, so I think she thinks a nursery will be more lenient x

kellib
07-02-2014, 09:27 AM
Is it worth it - I would wait until Monday if I could afford to

I would as well.

jaykay79
07-02-2014, 09:28 AM
if i leave it it will be difficult in the respect that, i do my banking on a Saturday and if she doesn't pay, i will have to wait until next weekend to bank the money and i have bills to pay x

hectors house
07-02-2014, 09:30 AM
Nursery probably wouldn't exclude for conjunctivitis if they are following the Health authority guidance. Does this parent normally pay cash or cheque? - if it's normally a cheque I would ask for cash instead on Monday as by the time you bank it and it clears it will be next Friday so very late, or just text her your bank account details and ask her to transfer the amount in today - she could probably do it on her phone if she has internet banking.

rickysmiths
07-02-2014, 09:33 AM
I have a stringent late fees policy and if not paid tonight I would be delivering a letter to the parent first thing in the morning outlining the fees due and adding the late fees. If this is the first time of not paying on time I might add that if the fees are paid by tonight (Sat) I will waive the late fee on this occasion.

I also have built into my Contracts that after x days if fees aren't paid childcare will be withdrawn until all fees are paid up to date. I usually allow a week.

I would also be reminding the parents in the letter of this clause in the Contract (Pacey one on page 4)and I would give the day and date of the last day of care if fees aren't received.

If you have neither of these things built into your Contract it is harder but as it is now in the Pacey Contract that you can withdraw care if you are not paid I would think you could do this as long as you have written (not text or email) to the parents and given them a fair chance to pay and informed them if payment isn't received childcare will stop.

I would also check with your PLI insurer before you withdraw care if it isn't in your contract.

Sorry I didn't read all the posts. Yes if mum normally pays by cheque I would ask for cash for payment on Monday.

I have only excluded a child with conjunctivitis if they are so unwell they can't take part in the days activities. I don't exclude just because they have it.

jaykay79
07-02-2014, 09:35 AM
i don't normally exclude for conjunctivitis, but lo has had a recurrent infection now on and off for a month! i explained to her that she needed to treat it or i would have to exclude until eyes were clear, his eye's were constantly oozing green/yellow pus and lo was wiping his eyes and then smearing over my home, totally gross, so i excluded till she would sort. oh and she normally pays cash x

jaykay79
07-02-2014, 07:26 PM
aaaaaaaand? surprise surprise she's not paid me, as predicted, I can read this irritating woman like a book. I just have to keep repeating the mantra "soon I will never have to see her again" :angry:

funemnx
07-02-2014, 07:33 PM
Ring her in the morning and say you will be over to collect payment shortly, that way you can get it to the bank in time.

If she hasn't got it, say you'll wait while she pops out to the machine....

FloraDora
07-02-2014, 09:43 PM
You will just angst over this all weekend, just leave it now until Monday, if you can afford to.
Have a nice weekend with your family and on Monday smile sweetly and concentrate on the child when she gives you payment.
Don't let someone spoil your family time.

jaykay79
08-02-2014, 08:10 AM
that's basically what I have decided to do floradora, going to forget about that silly little woman and "borrow" some money from my saving accounts to cover bills until she pays :cool: xx

smurfette
08-02-2014, 08:22 AM
that's basically what I have decided to do floradora, going to forget about that silly little woman and "borrow" some money from my saving accounts to cover bills until she pays :cool: xx

Probably best if she is leaving shortly., different if she was staying cos you would need to make the point it's not acceptable. At this point keeping the peace so next few weeks are not unpleasant is probably the more important thing if you can bite your tongue.. Hard I know! Have a good weekend xx

Koala
08-02-2014, 08:35 AM
well if i were feeling brave - a bit of unprofessional tit for tat may be worth a try :D :D :D

text today to say due to either current circumstances, unforeseen circumstances, personal reasons or illness, you are not sure whether you will be able to provide care on Monday - leave it at that and see if she gets your money to you.

It may or may not help you get the money today but it might make you feel better. But if she is being really difficult and leaving she may think 'what are you going to do?'
Your not going to turn her child away! are you?
Just bear in mind - is she going to pay you at all? she hasn't so far and has she replied to your text?

I've got a wind up merchant at the moment who doesn't like to abide by the rules (you know the really difficult things we ask from parents): parking respectfully, picking up on time and being asked to make sure she brings asthma spacer for her son (always an excuse and never an apology - she doesn't like being told) - she's on thin ice too - i'm trying to get over letting it get to me and I think i've managed it as i'm off on my hols next week and i'm gonna buy something nice for me with, her, i mean my money. :D :D :D

bunyip
08-02-2014, 11:37 AM
no late payment fee's in my policy boo hoo :( there soon will be though! lol ... she is only being like this as I had to exclude her child twice in the last 3 weeks for vomiting on one occasion, and for conjunctivitis on the other. she has a major problem with my exclusion policies, that's why she is leaving, doesn't want to have to take time off work to care for poorly child, so I think she thinks a nursery will be more lenient x

Feel for you - hope it gets sorted out soon. :group hug:

Positive things to think:-
1. It's not so much a late payment, more of a free lesson in the need to draw up that 'late payment' policy.
2. Nursery may well be more lenient - meaning she's have a sick child more often cos they'll catch everything from the nursery's other snotty little cash-producers.

............btw, do you have a 'punching parents in the teeth' policy instead? :rolleyes:

Happy Bunny
08-02-2014, 11:39 AM
......btw, do you have a 'punching parents in the teeth' policy instead?

I could so do with one of these LOL LOL