PDA

View Full Version : A couple of child development questions

sing-low
06-02-2014, 10:52 PM
I've been wondering about a few things:
I've noticed that newly walking LO has a tendency to stumble when wearing her snowsuit, which is slightly too large for her, particularly the arms. I remember my own DD being the same when learning to walk (more likely to fall when wearing her snowsuit, unless her hands were free). Is this coincidence? Or is there a reason why long sleeves impair walking coordination?

Another thing: I'm curious about the process of learning to eat with a spoon without the food falling off. The act of keeping the spoon level, which requires turning the wrist, while moving the hand towards the mouth, is obviously tricky. Is it a developmental thing? Just wait and as they get older the ability will come (assuming plenty of practise and encouragement, which I am doing, as are parents)? Or are there particular toys/games that will help develop this ability? Action specific ones or something that encourages LOs to make two different movements at once?

I'm generally interested in this type of child development (I find it fascinating) so if anyone has any books to recommend that would cover this type of things, I'd be grateful for suggestions.

FloraDora
06-02-2014, 11:32 PM
I am really keen to further my knowledge on developments like this too. I have recently been reading about finer motor skill aquisition, so will look up to see if there is anything in the bibliography that may cover this subject. ( Too tired now)

I use these:

Childs Cutlery Spoon & pusher - Kings at MadeInSheffield.com (http://www.madeinsheffield.com/view_item.asp?productid=2531)

I find it is a brilliant spoon that is a stepping stone to a normal shaped one and my own sons grasped the normal shaped ones following using these really quickly.

I have several sets, bought in sales and the one that I used to use more than half a century ago!!
The LO's love making them shine up as they are silver. Old fashioned I know, but how we learn to manage cutlery probably hasn't changed since the 18th Century!!!

Emra81
07-02-2014, 12:12 AM
Got given a set like this for dd and the spoon has been invaluable....she found it easy to use without spillage almost straight away and now happily uses a normal spoon properly as she automatically angles it to fit in her mouth

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/290926065034