PDA

View Full Version : advise please

Rickers83
06-02-2014, 11:52 AM
My daughter is under st Thomas children's hospital, & has 3 appointments over the next 2 months, all of which will take up most of the day.
shes 13 & its to do with her bladder, so the nature if appointments means taking lo's is a no

can I book these days as holiday or do I have to close without pay?

unsure as there is no stipulation in contracts for what constitutes a holiday, but does state parents "odd days off" are chargeable at full rate not as holiday, so would the same apply to me

hope that's not too confusing?

Kiddleywinks
06-02-2014, 12:07 PM
I've closed for the whole day or part of a day for hospital appts that I'm not able to take LO's to, and have not charged for the time taken off - I don't charge for my time off

CookieCutter
06-02-2014, 12:10 PM
If I have a day off for sickness/holiday/random day off, I don't charge. Do you charge for your days off for any reason? If not, I don't think it matters whether you book it off as holiday or random, as long as you give parents enough notice.

Rickers83
06-02-2014, 12:14 PM
Holidays are charged at 1/2 fee for either party. But odd days off for parents are charged at full rate.
that's what in unsure of.
i guess if i don't let them take an odd day as holiday I wont be able to do it myself.

just means 3 days if no pay :0(

Kiddleywinks
06-02-2014, 12:17 PM
It's not an odd day off for parents though if it's you that needs the time off iyswim :thumbsup:

Kirstylob
06-02-2014, 12:26 PM
I have had to take my daughter to hospital appts Great Ormond Street and took the days as holiday. I charge half rate for whoever has holiday. It wasn't a problem for the parents and I was able to give plenty of notice. Good luck with your daughter. X

wee_elf
06-02-2014, 03:32 PM
I think in this situation I would not charge the parents xx

FloraDora
07-02-2014, 10:25 PM
Being Self employed is a real issue in cases like this, but unfortunately, in choosing self employment over protective employment it does mean we don't get 'compassionate leave'.

I hope everything works out ok for you.