PDA

View Full Version : New to ALL of this, well sort of!

Sammy_lou3108
06-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Ok, first of all i just want to say thank you loads to everyone even if you just look at this thread :clapping: I'm a bit stuck about where to start where to look what to, well everything so I am so so sorry if i ask something that has been asked a million times so please understand!

Anyway, basically I'm a 28 year old with no kids yet but this is what has got me thinking down the route of childminding. Me and my boyfriend of 4 years are looking at starting our family some time this year. Now when we got to thinking about childcare we were stuck with options of a stranger who we dont know but lives in our village, or my aunty who is registered but lives a bit away, not walking distance if one of us had the car. The other thing is do i want to leave my child at all??

So we got to talking and I've always wanted to work with children, so much so that I started to train to be a nursery nurse at 16 but am ashamed to say the lure of working forced me to quit.

So anyway, sorry to babble on. From looking at the posts on here I can kind of grasp that getting started with not much experience or children isnt normally a big problem. But here are the few questions

1) Do i start to look into this now and become registered or wait till I've done my maternit leave with my own child?

2) This might sound odd, but how do i find people to childmind? The cost of having a baby and packing in work is really scaring me if I know it could be months without actually getting any other children in to mind

3) How did you get the money together for everthing you need at the beginning?

4) Where do i start!!!! Lol

Sorry if all this is asking too much but any help at this point will be really, really appreciated!

Thanks

SARAHW26
06-01-2008, 08:55 PM
Hi Sammy

First thing don't panic, looking after children is a fantastic job and very rewarding and I'm sure you will enjoy every minute and wondered why you were so worried.

First Ring your Early Years and Childcare department up, they will give you plenty of advise to help you.

I got a grant from my local council to help pay for set up costs, but don't think every area offers this, you need to check this.

Second, i would start your training and the process asap, as it can take any thing up to an year to get up and running. i am still going through the process and i started the whole process in May last year.

Third, don't worry about getting children, when you have your baby and go to groups and classes whilst your on maternity leave, you will meet plenty of other mums that need childcare, and if you don't advertising in ,local shops and schools generally works.

Overall this site has really helped my so far.

Hope this helps you.

sarah

LittleMissSparkles
06-01-2008, 09:25 PM
1) Do i start to look into this now and become registered or wait till I've done my maternit leave with my own child?
i would as it can take a while to become registered from start to finish
2) This might sound odd, but how do i find people to childmind? The cost of having a baby and packing in work is really scaring me if I know it could be months without actually getting any other children in to mind once you start the registration process you could begin advertising and telling people what you are doing, word of mouth is valuble, put up flyers, posters etc at playgroups, surgery;s, play cetntre's, hospital boards, local school etc

3) How did you get the money together for everthing you need at the beginning?
I'm lucky in that i already have 2 children and so had alot of toys etc and resources to use, you may be eligible for a grant to set up from your local child development services, contact them and find out what help they offer as a start up for new minders
4) Where do i start!!!! Lol
contact your local chidlren services they usually do a introduction to childcare briefing session and they will tell you were to go from there if you decide to go ahead and register
Sorry if all this is asking too much but any help at this point will be really, really appreciated!

Thanks

there are good and bad side to minding like all proffessions but i dont think you will find anything as rewarding as childminding and working with children its bloomin hard work and can be tiring but you will love it im sure, as for having a baby just think you will get to be a stay at home mum and earn a living by look after other peoples children :)

good luck with whatever you decide

xxx

angeldelight
06-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Welcome to the forum Sammy

Most of your questions have been answered

If I was you though I would have a good look around the forum there is lots of advice and questions for people wanting to be a childminder I am sure you will find lots of tips and advice there

Good luck whatever you decide to do

Angel xx

ajs
06-01-2008, 09:46 PM
no new answers just to say that you've definately come to the right place for advice.

there is very seldom a question that someone can't answer and it doesn't have to be a minding question either..
we're a font of knowledge so feel free to ask

carolinel
06-01-2008, 09:47 PM
hello and welcome.

mrsbumbles
07-01-2008, 07:53 AM
Hello and welcome, ask all the questions you need and i will try to help if poss

Mollymop
07-01-2008, 11:41 AM
Hi Sammy,

If I were you I would get on the phone and get your name down to become a childminder because it can take a long while to become registered. Just the CRB checks can take months alone, but you also have to do all the courses as well, which can take a month or 2 to complete. Once all of that is done with, you can decide when you want to start looking after children.
At least you will be ready.

Good luck
XX

sarah707
07-01-2008, 12:49 PM
You've had fab advice... just wanted to say good luck...

... and welcome to the forum! :D

Straws
07-01-2008, 04:01 PM
Hi sammy i am just going through registration process myself, I have had lots of enquiries already even though i am not registered yet just by telling my neighbours, friends, and mingling with the other mums at school, also make yourself known to other childminders they often will take your phone number and pass it on for you when they have there places filled:)

Straws x

Sammy_lou3108
07-01-2008, 04:24 PM
Wow, thanks all of you, didnt expect so many replies so soon :laughing:

Would anyone advise staying at my job so i can at least take advantage of their maternity leave before i quit to do this then?

I am worried if i registered right now cause there is some work that needs to be done to the house and dont think it would pass at the minute.

also, my dog, what do i have to do with her while doing childminding?

sarah707
07-01-2008, 06:42 PM
Don't worry about the dog - lots of people childmind with dogs...

If you've got a company willing to pay you for maternity, then tbh, I would let them - seems daft to turn guaranteed income away when childminding can be precarious...

Mollymop
08-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Hi Sammy,
Definately keep your job for now so that you can get maternity pay, as Sarah said. But if you are really wanting to become a childminder i would get your name down ready for the courses- the courses in my area are every 4 months, so if you don't enquire quick enough you could be waiting a long time just to get on a course. The courses seem to take a long time to complete (mine took from Sept till mid Dec) as well so therefore you will have plenty of time, hopefully to get your house sorted out.