PDA

View Full Version : Best time to terminate a contract.

Glitter
05-02-2014, 08:12 PM
I may have to terminate a contract for a child I mind (I have an interview for a job which is on the days I look after this child).

I really need advice on the best way to do this. The child is dropped off by parents in the mornings and collected by grandma in the afternoon. The family live over 15 miles from my house.

I don't want to do this over the phone, or in the mornings at drop off as it would not be fair to have the parents worry about it at work all day. If the family lived closer I would go to their house and tell them, but it is to far to do that. I really don't know the best way to do this as the family are so lovely and I really want this to be as painless for them as I can make it.

Any one had a similar situation and how did you do it?

loocyloo
05-02-2014, 08:21 PM
ooo, difficult one.

I think I would want to tell them in person. is there something else you can do/someone else you can go and see whilst over their way? and tell them you want to pop in and see them?

otherwise, I think it would have to be over the phone, with a letter given at drop off. unless you could ask them to pop into to see you on a day you don't usually have mindee?

good luck. xx

Simona
07-02-2014, 08:02 AM
I may have to terminate a contract for a child I mind (I have an interview for a job which is on the days I look after this child).

I really need advice on the best way to do this. The child is dropped off by parents in the mornings and collected by grandma in the afternoon. The family live over 15 miles from my house.

I don't want to do this over the phone, or in the mornings at drop off as it would not be fair to have the parents worry about it at work all day. If the family lived closer I would go to their house and tell them, but it is to far to do that. I really don't know the best way to do this as the family are so lovely and I really want this to be as painless for them as I can make it.

Any one had a similar situation and how did you do it?

As CMs we have a 'professional' relationship with parents which is reinforced by our mutually agreed contract
Most cms require parents to inform us in writing of any changes to their care requirements...most also ask for 4 weeks notice
This also works the other way round when a cm decides to move on.

I would feel obliged to do the same to my parents if I were in your situation....write officially giving as much notice as possible
I would hand deliver the letter but that is not necessary

Personally I feel if you do this you are informing them in a professional manner and your notice recorded in their file.

EmmaReed84
07-02-2014, 08:15 AM
As CMs we have a 'professional' relationship with parents which is reinforced by our mutually agreed contract
Most cms require parents to inform us in writing of any changes to their care requirements...most also ask for 4 weeks notice
This also works the other way round when a cm decides to move on.

I would feel obliged to do the same to my parents if I were in your situation....write officially giving as much notice as possible
I would hand deliver the letter but that is not necessary

Personally I feel if you do this you are informing them in a professional manner and your notice recorded in their file.

I would do this...

I tend to have my more 'friendly side' and prefer to chat to parents, however, I have my 'business, cover your ass' side too, so, while chatting I always say something along the lines of "Here is a formal letter, just covering what we have chatted about today" that way you still keep that personal touch, without it being 'cold and business like' if that makes sense. x

FloraDora
07-02-2014, 10:56 PM
I would wait until I had been offered the job.

Depending on your contract I would inform the new job folk that I need to give ......notice if I was successful.

When I definately had the new job I would give notice in writing and verbally face to face asap.

miffy
07-02-2014, 11:37 PM
I would tell them at the morning drop off - I think it's better doing it face to face rather than over the telephone - at least you can reassure them you will serve the notice period, help them find a new childminder (if you want to) etc. I'd also give them a letter confirming notice at the same time.

I wouldn't do anything until I was certain I'd got the job - fingers crossed for you x

Miffy xx

It's a small world
08-02-2014, 05:21 AM
Hi I'm giving my first notice on Monday :-0. I've been thinking about it for awhile and mindees have been off this week and it helped me make my decision. As they have been off it has allowed me to sort a lot out. I'm giving notice in writing and handing to parent at pick up. I have everything organised - prepared myself with what questions maybe asked etc ( even though i do not have to give reason) x i was going to give a list of cms for them to visit ( no issues with family as such just child clashes with mine and its effecting home ) anyhow a lovely experienced cm has vacancies so had a chat and they are happy to speak to parent so hopefully i have sorted alternative care for mindee. Giving notice is never a nice thing whatever the situation you always dread doing it whether they are nice or not as you are never sure of the reaction . I'm just hoping that me having found someone can help will ease the situation, good luck. I agree in person is best . Xx

Glitter
08-02-2014, 10:01 AM
I have given notice.

I phoned the mum and we had lovely chat about why I was giving notice. She was so lovely and even said she would tell her work she would not be able to come in one day a week until she found a new child minder as her usual one was ill! It was so nice of her to offer.

At the drop off the next day her husband handed me a reference so I could take it to my interview with me (without me asking them for one). I am glad I didn't wait until drop off as this would have left them both at work all day worrying about what to do.

It just shows some parents are lovely decent people, and I now feel very guilty for letting them down:(

loocyloo
08-02-2014, 12:23 PM
I have given notice.

I phoned the mum and we had lovely chat about why I was giving notice. She was so lovely and even said she would tell her work she would not be able to come in one day a week until she found a new child minder as her usual one was ill! It was so nice of her to offer.

At the drop off the next day her husband handed me a reference so I could take it to my interview with me (without me asking them for one). I am glad I didn't wait until drop off as this would have left them both at work all day worrying about what to do.

It just shows some parents are lovely decent people, and I now feel very guilty for letting them down:(

glad it went well for you.

good luck for the future x