PDA

View Full Version : Recording Checks on Sleeping Children

twiggy
05-02-2014, 06:26 PM
Because I offer funded sessions our city council have stopped us having DO's and are now doing welfare checks themselves. I have had my first visit today from them and have been told that I need to record every 10 minutes that I am checking sleeping children. I do regularly check sleeping children but have never recorded it before. How many of you record checks every 10 minutes and how do you show these checks?

funemnx
05-02-2014, 06:33 PM
Sometimes we are told to do things by the LA which are 'best practise' rather than 'must do'. I also check children regularly (maybe not every 10 mins though!) I have never recorded it and think it's just another written thing to do, as if we don't have enough! :panic:

JCrakers
05-02-2014, 06:47 PM
As if we don't have enough to do already.....Why do we have to have every little thing written down or recorded.
Its just something else to note down :mad:

I'm cross now but I've had a G&T so I'll hold my tongue ..... (yes, I know its only 6.40pm, but i've had a stressful day)

Mummits
05-02-2014, 07:31 PM
Perhaps we should barcode them and zap them with a scanner every time we peek in on them. I mean, if we are just writing it down, who's to say we are actually looking? We might be too busy filling in forms to actually look after the children.

silvermist
05-02-2014, 07:33 PM
As if we don't have enough to do already.....Why do we have to have every little thing written down or recorded.
Its just something else to note down :mad:

I'm cross now but I've had a G&T so I'll hold my tongue ..... (yes, I know its only 6.40pm, but i've had a stressful day)

Hahahahahaha

MrsPixie
05-02-2014, 07:40 PM
That is ridiculous! Writing it down doesn't even prove you have done it.

Mummits
05-02-2014, 07:42 PM
That is ridiculous! Writing it down doesn't even prove you have done it.

Exactly! I'm sniffing a marketing opportunity. I think I'll write an app. I'll call it BABYDOZE.

silvermist
05-02-2014, 08:13 PM
Exactly! I'm sniffing a marketing opportunity. I think I'll write an app. I'll call it BABYDOZE.

Babydoze sounds like a brilliant idea. Lol x

twiggy
05-02-2014, 09:19 PM
At this rate I will need to employ a secretary to do my paperwork. I'm not sure when I'm supposed to allocate time to the child who is awake if I have 2 asleep and I'm having to tick boxes every ten minutes. I'm just glad I'm not doing any overnight care!

Simona
05-02-2014, 09:58 PM
Because I offer funded sessions our city council have stopped us having DO's and are now doing welfare checks themselves. I have had my first visit today from them and have been told that I need to record every 10 minutes that I am checking sleeping children. I do regularly check sleeping children but have never recorded it before. How many of you record checks every 10 minutes and how do you show these checks?

Were you told why this is required and by whom?

twiggy
05-02-2014, 10:34 PM
When I had my first inspection in 2007 one of the questions the inspector asked was how often I should check a sleeping child. I said every 15/20 mins and she told me it was every 10 minutes as if a child stopped breathing during that time it was still possible to carry out CPR, I don't know where it states I need to record checks on the child every 10 minutes. Perhaps it is just our local council being over cautious. Perhaps they didn't think I had enough form filling to do.

Simona
06-02-2014, 07:58 AM
When I had my first inspection in 2007 one of the questions the inspector asked was how often I should check a sleeping child. I said every 15/20 mins and she told me it was every 10 minutes as if a child stopped breathing during that time it was still possible to carry out CPR, I don't know where it states I need to record checks on the child every 10 minutes. Perhaps it is just our local council being over cautious. Perhaps they didn't think I had enough form filling to do.

I would say checking every 10 mins is very good practice but I have never seen a request to record it in writing

LAs will never learn...will they when it comes to adding red tape and paperwork or inventing new bits of paper for us to fill in.

mrs owl
06-02-2014, 08:16 AM

How ridiculous! I tell you what this is its some bloke in an office making up stupid rules then he can justify his job! The world is full of them!

Tunja
06-02-2014, 09:38 AM
At this rate I will need to employ a secretary to do my paperwork. I'm not sure when I'm supposed to allocate time to the child who is awake if I have 2 asleep and I'm having to tick boxes every ten minutes. I'm just glad I'm not doing any overnight care!

Thats allright. if you were in an agency they help reduce paperwork. They can send someone out every ten minutes to record for you.:laughing:

wee_elf
06-02-2014, 03:38 PM
lol love the idea of babydoze!! x

hectors house
06-02-2014, 03:49 PM
I check babies under 12 months every 30 mins and over a year every 50 mins - all parents know this as it's written in my policies, I'm sure parents don't check every 10 mins during the night!

Simona
06-02-2014, 09:48 PM
How ridiculous! I tell you what this is its some bloke in an office making up stupid rules then he can justify his job! The world is full of them!

The world may be full of them but, at present, there is not enough money to go around keeping people in jobs where they produce nothing but useless red tape!

sing-low
06-02-2014, 10:02 PM
I check babies under 12 months every 30 mins and over a year every 50 mins - all parents know this as it's written in my policies, I'm sure parents don't check every 10 mins during the night!

I like that distinction between checking under and over ones - makes sense as I believe the risk of cot death dramatically reduces (am I right or just imagining that?). I shall be borrowing that one (and writing it in my policies).

MessybutHappy
06-02-2014, 10:21 PM
I listen, if they're unusually quiet, or unusually restless I'll go have a look, newbies get lots of checks until I'm confident I know what's normal for them. One will wake if the floorboard creaks, so I avoid that one! One I have to place where I can spy through the hinge side of the door because the child sometimes rests rather than sleeps and if they saw me they'd want to get up! There is no set time though...