PDA

View Full Version : Settling in and pgroup

kellyskidz!
05-02-2014, 04:20 PM
I have a 9mo little one settling in with me on Friday morning, I usually take the other 2 I have to playgroup on Fridays and especially wanted to this week as we haven't been able to get to our other usual groups so it will be the only morning we've had out properly all week. Would you take her with you, stay at home or rearrange Settling In day, Mum was fine with it btw when I mentioned that was our morning at playgroup and said she could pick up from there?
Has anyone else taken newbies out on their very 1st day, I've only ever stayed at home before?
Thanks xx

playdayz
05-02-2014, 05:58 PM
I would take her with you as it part of the routine she will need to get used to an if ya can arrange another settling in session an stay at home x

tigwig
05-02-2014, 09:16 PM
Yes I always take them out as long as ive got written parental permission. I go to groups every morning so they need to get used to it!

bunyip
05-02-2014, 09:52 PM
My approach would be they might cry at playgroup and they might just as easily cry at bunyip's. So go - for all the reasons already stated. :thumbsup:

miffy
05-02-2014, 11:14 PM
I'm afraid I'm in the other camp - I've always seen settling in days as times for the child to get used to me, my home and the other children who come here so I wouldn't take a lo to playgroup on their first settling in visit with me.

But if mum thinks it will be fine and you are happy to give it a go then go for it. I'd probably rearrange the settling in visit to another day and take the other children to playgroup as usual.

Miffy xx

tashaleee
06-02-2014, 09:05 AM
I'm afraid I'm in the other camp - I've always seen settling in days as times for the child to get used to me, my home and the other children who come here so I wouldn't take a lo to playgroup on their first settling in visit with me.

But if mum thinks it will be fine and you are happy to give it a go then go for it. I'd probably rearrange the settling in visit to another day and take the other children to playgroup as usual.

Miffy xx

Im in the same camp as Miffy x

QualityCare
06-02-2014, 09:42 AM
I also wouldn't be taking a new baby to a group on their first visit, baby has alot to deal with, leaving mum, being with a stranger, children they don't know and then taken to a noisy environment with even more strangers in my opinion very unfair and disruptive for a baby.

kellyskidz!
06-02-2014, 02:34 PM
Thanks all, me and Mum have come to discision where I'll go to pgroup the first settling in morning to see how little one likes it, to get to know the usual routine and then on the 2nd morning stay home and have a more 'getting to know baby' day. Mum really wants to see how little one gets on at playgroup and i can see her point, as thats what she'd be doing on a normal day in my care anyway. I do understand the argument for staying at home, and was tempted to do just that, but its not like I'll be ignoring her at playgroup and if she does get fussy we can always leave. Also if Mum is actively encouraging me to go, I'd rather all the children stick to their normal routine for this week, especially since I mentioned, we've not been out much. Thank you for advice :thumbsup: x

kellyskidz!
06-02-2014, 02:40 PM
I also wouldn't be taking a new baby to a group on their first visit, baby has alot to deal with, leaving mum, being with a stranger, children they don't know and then taken to a noisy environment with even more strangers in my opinion very unfair and disruptive for a baby.

I don't know about unfair, since I'm not going against Mums wishes, mistreating baby or planning to stick her in a corner and leave her. I'm trying to be as fair as possible to all children and as we would usually go to playgroup anyway I don't see that it makes much difference to not go this week, she'll be going every week anyway and Mum is happy with this.
It would be unfair if baby was particularly shy or fussy, or if Mum said I'd prefer her not to go but its a very quiet group, she already attends another playgroup and I feel confident that taking her and seeing how it goes is the right thing for us to do.
You may be right, she might hate it there, and then we'd obviously leave and I'd discuss further with Mum but I'm thinking of the usual routine and having spent time previously with baby (I've met her with Mum twice before in my home) I don't think its unfair to take her for a few hours xx