PDA

View Full Version : am i being unkind?

ziggy
05-02-2014, 01:37 PM
I was at toddler group this morning and an 'unregistered minder' was there with her own child and 2 mindees (as usual). She mentioned she was on a course last night, so i asked was she getting registered. She said she was thinking about it but didnt really want to.

SO............I explained what she was doing was wrong, it is law that she should be registered, insured and should be paying tax on what she earns. She said she thought it was up to the parents to decide whether to use a registered childminder or not. I explained it would be her that got into trouble if she is reported not the parents.

She is actually a very nice lady, just makes me cross when i abide by the rules, pay insurance and tax. Doesnt help when she tells us all about what she has bought her children and herself and plans for nights out etc etc. I have to think twice about putting on the heating in the evenings.

Ripeberry
05-02-2014, 01:43 PM
I feel your pain. There is a lady at my school who has been 'minding' for lots of kids. The parents know she is un-registered but they trust her and yes they do pay her cash in hand and are not bothered by it. Her daughter left the school last year but she still comes up to do school runs and takes various kids home with her. No point in reporting her as I would be run out of the village (very small community). Most of my work comes from newcomers.

LG2014
05-02-2014, 01:47 PM
Hi,

I don't think you were being unkind. You were giving her the advice she needs to registered.

It is totally against the law and thankfully nothing will happen to children in her care - she'll find herself in a whole heap of trouble with no registration and insurance!

It mad how people see childminding as just 'babysitting' and don't see that it a job and career where laws need to be abide to and the course/inspections are there to ensure the right people are working as childminders.

So no you did right to tell her!! X

LG2014
05-02-2014, 01:48 PM
*hopefully not thankfully!!!!

wee_elf
05-02-2014, 03:33 PM
it must be so frustrating to sit and listen to how she is spending her cash :( xx

wendywu
05-02-2014, 06:09 PM
How did she manage to get on a course if she is not registered ?

Katiekoo
05-02-2014, 06:21 PM
I have a family member who works unregistered, although I'm not sure of her reasons and it worries me, I know she understands what she's doing.
You weren't being unkind, you were making sure she understands why it's important to be registered. Then it's her choice what she does with that information, let's hope she does the right thing.

line6
05-02-2014, 06:51 PM
It's all very well and good 'getting away with it' but what if something goes wrong?! Don't get me wrong it makes me mad too but what I really don't understand is the risks people are prepared to take with their own children. Madness. I think you did the right thing telling this person a few home truths.

primula
05-02-2014, 07:04 PM
So the parents that use unregistered childcare are not able to access vouchers or tax credits then? Or maybe they don't know that they could? I see quite a few unregistered childcarers, usually at the school??

ziggy
06-02-2014, 06:27 PM
How did she manage to get on a course if she is not registered ?

She was on a child protection course, think she is on playgroup committee, so guess it was something to do with that.

bunyip
06-02-2014, 08:15 PM
Good for you, Ziggy.

I like the idea that the parents' choice overrules the law. Presumably this will become known as the 'Nigella Lawson Defence' in future cases of parents snorting class A drugs whilst 'responsible' for the children. Ok if a parent chooses whether to use a car seat? leave baby alone whilst they pop out quickly to the shops? send the lo's off to the mill to earn their keep? :mad: In fact, who needs a CM, registered or otherwise, when you could "choose" to leave them home alone with a bowl of water and crust or 2 ?

BTW, what are the playgroup doing appointing an illegal minder to the committee? What message does that send out?

And no, you couldn't be unkind: you're an absolute :littleangel: .