PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping arrangements

leahsfx
03-02-2014, 04:18 PM
Any suggestions on nap arrangements? Can the children nap on mats in the living room or does it need to be a separate room? (Living room is my childminding area)

wee_elf
03-02-2014, 06:56 PM
I am planning on having my own lo's bedroom registered and then having children napping in there either in travel cot or those readybed's. However I am sure that as long as they were in a safe position in the living room and were able to rest appropriately without being too disturbed it would be fine. I plan on risk assessing all options and then I can follow whatever the child seems to favour x

cathtee
03-02-2014, 07:01 PM
I have one that sleeps in a buggy(24m), one rests on the settee (33m) the 3rd one will only rest on a blanket on the floor, I've tried all other ways with him but he won't have any of it so he must be comfy, this is in the living room which is the quiet room,

leahsfx
03-02-2014, 07:51 PM
Unfortunately I don't have the space for a bedroom for them but glad to hear its okay in the living room providing all risk assessments are in place.
Wasn't aware that it was ok to use pushchairs/sofas etc, I thought you needed sleeping mats or travel cots but that's really good to know. Thanks :)

line6
03-02-2014, 07:54 PM
My mindee is now 33 months and also sleeps on the sofa and has done since he started with me 5 months ago. Baby that starts this week will be sleeping in pushchair or bouncy chair until too big then I'll have a travel cot in the living room. I also use kitchen/diner and playroom for minding but not upstairs as this is my families private space. Inspector was happy with the sleeping arrangements when she came.

leahsfx
03-02-2014, 08:01 PM
That's reassuring to hear :) was worried about how I'd incorporate sleeping into such a small space but it looks more possible now :) thanks everyone x

3 little ducks
03-02-2014, 08:22 PM
I mainly use my conservatory as playroom and living room when its too cold in there and for sleeping. I usually go with what parents say are their childs sleeping arrangements at home so we do the same here where poss. I have/have had children that sleep on sofa, in their prams or in my travel cot, depending on their needs/preferences. :)

silvermist
03-02-2014, 09:43 PM
I have a 24 month in a travel cot, a 24 month in a buggy and a one year old also in a travel cot. They are all in the living room, i have a seperate playroom.The brilliant thing is I now manage to get all three to nap at the same time so I get time to have a coffee in peace and do a spot of paperwork....routine is the key lol xx

trickiedickie
03-02-2014, 10:13 PM
Wow Silvermist. All three sleeping at the same time. I am impressed.

silvermist
03-02-2014, 10:18 PM
Wow Silvermist. All three sleeping at the same time. I am impressed.

Lol. It's took a while but even the parents are impressed. One parent was laughing and asked if they sold childminders chloroform! I said no I just use good old fashioned fairy dust!! ;)

lisbet
04-02-2014, 12:09 AM
I have space for 2 in cots in my bedroom, but the particular children that I have would disturb each others' sleep so it usually goes: 1 in the bedroom, 1 in the kitchen-diner in a pushchair and 1 on a cot mattress in the sitting room.

leahsfx
04-02-2014, 08:33 AM
So there's no 'rules' on sleeping that OFSTED expect?.. As long as its been risk assessed and they have somewhere peaceful to sleep, anywhere is ok?

maisiemog
04-02-2014, 09:25 AM
No rules as such but each inspector has different opinions. Mine wasn't happy about using a buggy for sleeping but a friend of mine had an inspector who was ok with it.

silvermist
04-02-2014, 10:03 AM
I asked all my parents to sign permission forms fir children to sleep in cots, travel cots and buggies. I felt if Ofsted said they didnt like Los in buggies I could say I have parental consent to do so. X

Cinderbella
04-02-2014, 09:07 PM
mine sleep in buggies or travel cots . ocasionally the older ones fall asleep on the sofa

wee_elf
04-02-2014, 09:41 PM
silvermist can you please come and teach me your sleep hypnosis?!! :D

silvermist
04-02-2014, 09:46 PM
silvermist can you please come and teach me your sleep hypnosis?!! :D

Lol. It just kind of happened now they know when it's nap time, they get their teddies, blankies and always go to sleep for at least an hour!

smurfette
04-02-2014, 10:54 PM
I always have three sleeping together, as each one has started I have got them in same routine... Out for the morning tires them out then lunch then nap before school run. Some of been harder to get down than others but not because of times but because they are used to being breastfed/ cuddled to sleep but I am very persistent! Couldn't cope with three under three most days if I didn't get a break!!

3 little ducks
06-02-2014, 07:38 PM
like silvermist mine all usually sleep at same time after lunch, and play. though not all children like to sleep then most do. Somedays I get an hour otherdays not long and sometimes longer all depends on the children and how much sleep they want. It is down to routine and how tired they are! I see this time to do paperwork, have a cuppa and a tidy up so they can rearrange it all when they get up :)

FloraDora
06-02-2014, 11:07 PM
I know Babies do sometimes fall asleep while resting / going out in a buggy and may wake up if they are disturbed so I think it is reasonable to leave an infant in a buggy on occasion, but for regular naps, I feel they should be placed into clean, safely prepared cots, if for no other reason than their comfort.

There is no defined rule on this, I just would never have planned for my own children to regularly sleep in a buggy, and safe sleeping 'advice' is definitely to sleep in a cot so when thinking about setting up my childminding business I thought carefully about how I could ensure that 3 children could sleep in different cots in my home.

It works a treat, all sleep at same time which means I can write diaries, obs and next steps, upload photo evidence and have a cup of coffee in a proper cup in my office, listening out and checking on the LO's in between obs writing up as they are across the landing. They are all refreshed and happy on pick up, which helps their parents.