PDA

View Full Version : Play groups

lashely
03-02-2014, 11:18 AM
Hi I've just been asked if I want to start a local play group in my area. I do want to as I have young children as do a group of people I know so it would be viable.

How do I do this? Are there rules and regs I need to start up?

tulip0803
03-02-2014, 11:44 AM
Will it be the type of playgroup that parents leave their child? How long will it run each day?

wee_elf
03-02-2014, 11:57 AM
Its great you are willing to take the responsibility, could you contact your local children's centre and ask for advice? I am sure they would be able to offer some support xx

Maza
03-02-2014, 12:00 PM
Do you know where you would be running it? Good luck, sounds like you are really enthusiastic, which is lovely and is more than can be said for some playgroup workers!

Starfish007
03-02-2014, 12:06 PM
Guess it will depend on where the group is, some groups are in centres which may already have RA's in place, then you find some in old church halls which can have more risks. I think you definitely need a RA and an emergency exit, maybe someone has to have food hygiene if you are providing snacks. Good luck x

Simona
03-02-2014, 06:41 PM
First step is to get insurance for a Mother and toddler group

Info here
https://insurance.pre-school.org.uk/babyandtoddler

lashely
03-02-2014, 07:31 PM
Thanks I'm really hoping it works out :-) I have public liability insurance does that not cover it?

The room is in a community centre and apparently has lots of good equipment. I think as a group ill do my own risk assessments etc to be on the safe side.

I have my food hygiene and crb and first aid from being a cm so no worries there although ill be running it with a friend who isn't trained so may need to get her some training.

tulip0803
03-02-2014, 09:03 PM
You have PLI for being a childminder. You will need PLI for the group you are running.

lashely
04-02-2014, 07:50 AM
Right ok thank you. I've got meeting with the lady today so hoping it comes out good :-)